Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery sea monster bites shark's head off

UM-Bot

An Australian fisherman couldn't believe his eyes when he reeled in the decapitated head of a huge mako shark.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/326629/mystery-sea-monster-bites-sharks-head-off

Moderator note: Due to its graphic nature, please do not directly post photographs of the shark in the thread, thank you.

• Like 2

Well, whatever they do, do not call on a genuine local marine biologist or shark expert to examine the bite marks and radius...

And where's the photograph, with something in shot to scale it?

(added..)  Ah, I see there is a photo at the geek link, but it is set up exactly as I would if I wanted to fake the size of the head - up close to the camera and no clues how far back the guy is.  I call him on his claims of size...

And he calls himself "Trapman Bermagui"?????  I suspect the shark's not the only thing with a size issue....

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Well, whatever they do, do not call on a genuine local marine biologist or shark expert to examine the bite marks and radius...

It's more fun to imagine super sharks biting the heads off of other sharks!!!

Agree, no scale images, no real evidence that it's head was bitten off in one bite, just a silly story with no authoritative backing. 

The sharks head could have been nibbled off for all we know.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, esoteric_toad said:

The sharks head could have been nibbled off for all we know.

Bluefish will nibble something down. Then you have crabs. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

(added..)  Ah, I see there is a photo at the geek link, but it is set up exactly as I would if I wanted to fake the size of the head - up close to the camera and no clues how far back the guy is.  I call him on his claims of size...

And he calls himself "Trapman Bermagui"?????  I suspect the shark's not the only thing with a size issue....

In all fairness though in the article I read yesterday the guy did say he thought a tiger shark was responsible, and something to the effect that it didn't have to be a monster as the bit shark was imobilised to an extent. 

Edit: just read the links here and neither are representative of what the guy actually said. Both are selective and intended to imply there's a mystery here. 

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, oldrover said:

In all fairness though in the article I read yesterday the guy did say he thought a tiger shark was responsible, and something to the effect that it didn't have to be a monster as the bit shark was imobilised to an extent. 

shark could have died before smaller predators ate through the gill area.....simplest way to get to the insides

• Like 1

this was no coral reef no boat propeller and it wasn't jack the ripper,

it was a shark..who likely died natural then every little nibbler in the sea got at it....

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 1

• Haha 1

Lots of logical reasons for this happening.

The shark died and other sharks ripped into it.

Boat propeller did most of it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Man i loved those movies when I was growing up.   Godzilla, king kong, Mighty Joe Young, Creature of the black lagoon.

Loved the song too!

Some author of palaeo-fiction believes that there's a giant shark eating turtle in Australian waters. He thinks this because of the temperature variation recorded in the shark tag from the great white that was swallowed a few years back. That's the tag that was swallowed, not the shark. And because of an old film of a giant turtle taken off Vancover Island. Isn't that Canada?

Anyway, I apologise in advance. 

https://www.einpresswire.com/article/480576739/is-the-shark-eating-super-predator-a-species-of-giant-turtle?fbclid=IwAR3zkGWZa

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, oldrover said:

Some author of palaeo-fiction believes that there's a giant shark eating turtle in Australian waters. He thinks this because of the temperature variation recorded in the shark tag from the great white that was swallowed a few years back. That's the tag that was swallowed, not the shark. And because of an old film of a giant turtle taken off Vancover Island. Isn't that Canada?

Anyway, I apologise in advance. 

https://www.einpresswire.com/article/480576739/is-the-shark-eating-super-predator-a-species-of-giant-turtle?fbclid=IwAR3zkGWZa

Hawthorne!!!

He's a wannabe paleontology enthusiast who thinks that Mesozoic marine reptiles and megalodon are still alive as well as undiscovered monsters like this giant turtle. His cryptozoological work can be mostly dismissed as typical tripe.

• Like 3

I would like to know the speed of the creature that caught that Mako long enough to bite its head off...Slow speed for that shark is 20 mph and they can bolt to 60 mph in some cases..It's the fastest shark in the ocean....Don't buy it...Something had to have happened to that Mako, wounded or already dead in order for what ever it was to bite its head off. Sharks normally don't eat other sharks once the body hits the bottom, but there are exceptions in some cases I guess.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

I would like to know the speed of the creature that caught that Mako long enough to bite its head off...Slow speed for that shark is 20 mph and they can bolt to 60 mph in some cases..It's the fastest shark in the ocean....Don't buy it...Something had to have happened to that Mako, wounded or already dead in order for what ever it was to bite its head off. Sharks normally don't eat other sharks once the body hits the bottom, but there are exceptions in some cases I guess.

GREAT WHITE SHARK BITES SHARK IN HALF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

The wording of the CNN article is ambiguous, but I think the implication was that the mako was hooked when it was attacked.

While fishing for small shark off the coast of New South Wales, Trapman Bermagui, also known as Jason, hooked a bronze whaler shark, which was promptly eaten by a colossal mako. Before the huge shark could be hauled in, however, it fell prey to an even bigger creature, which devoured all but the mako shark's head.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, marsman said:

GREAT WHITE SHARK BITES SHARK IN HALF

Yeah thats possible..But the White don't have the speed to catch a Mako so the Mako is either dead or caught up in something.

6 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

The wording of the CNN article is ambiguous, but I think the implication was that the mako was hooked when it was attacked.

That would make more sense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marsman said:

Shark Attacks Another Shark - Crazy Shark Footage

Not saying that sharks do not attack other sharks....They will...