Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery sea monster bites shark's head off

UM-Bot

Just now, marsman said:

Orcas Attack Great White Shark

Yeah we get it. Why do you keep spamming videos in this thread?

2 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

Yeah we get it. Why do you keep spamming videos in this thread?

wasnt aware postings vids was spamming....

1 minute ago, marsman said:

wasnt aware postings vids was spamming....

Continually posting videos without any context or adding anything to the discussion is spamming.

15 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

Yeah thats possible..But the White don't have the speed to catch a Mako so the Mako is either dead or caught up in something.

Er.. like fighting a fishing line, as per the description?  Or like being old, or injured, or just not lookin' in the right direction?  Sharks and other marine denizens are very good at predation.. and speed isn't the only factor.

As Oldrover points out, here's a much better article:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/29/australia/australia-shark-fisherman-scli-intl/

I apologise for my hint that 'Trapman' might just being drummin' up business by over-stating it, altho I still think a little bit of that applies..!  :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

Continually posting videos without any context or adding anything to the discussion is spamming.

the context is in the vids titles.....

Just now, marsman said:

the context is in the vids titles.....

It's commonly expected here that if you're going to post a video you should give your own context, such as why the video is worth watching, the relevance of the video to the discussion, etc. Don't be lazy and actually contribute to the thread if you're going to post.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Er.. like fighting a fishing line, as per the description?  Or like being old, or injured, or just not lookin' in the right direction?  Sharks and other marine denizens are very good at predation.. and speed isn't the only factor.

As Oldrover points out, here's a much better article:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/29/australia/australia-shark-fisherman-scli-intl/

I apologise for my hint that 'Trapman' might just being drummin' up business by over-stating it, altho I still think a little bit of that applies..!  :)

Your right speed is not the only factor...For instance the Great White is an ambush predator it uses surprise over speed. And in the White's case it's major food source being seals it does well for the White Shark.... 

Sharks and other marine denizens are very good at predation..

Yeah they are. And sharks are just a small portion of those denizens of the deep.

Er.. like fighting a fishing line, as per the description?  Or like being old, or injured, or just not lookin' in the right direction? 

In the ocean depths being sick, old or injured or not being alert can cost even the largest predator it's life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carnoferox said:

The wording of the CNN article is ambiguous, but I think the implication was that the mako was hooked when it was attacked.

It was, it'd have to have been. But the article says the initial bite was from a bronze whaler, which the mako then took, and got hooked, then whilst it was being brought in, which'd take a while and would be when the mako was exhausted, the third shark or sharks got into the mako. 

• Like 3

If line caught then the time it took to reach the boat would have been too short for other smaller sea creatures to eat 3/4 of the body. This shark was attacked while being reeled in by something bigger. Shark, Orca or...

• Like 1

Of course a bigger shark(s) has exploited the situation. Hooked fish being attacked by sharks is the bane of fishermen in many parts of the world. An interesting story, I was told year ago that sharks will not attack Cobia, a well know, game and food-fish, even if hooked, supposedly because the fish closely resembles the sucker-fish ( Remora) that accompany sharks, and act to keep them free of external parasites. I've caught a few Cobia, and yet to see one attacked by sharks.

See the source image

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

I think they are relevant to the thread.    I kind of liked watching them.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I think they are relevant to the thread.    I kind of liked watching them.   

yeah me too. its like the orca's are the good guy's. 

• Like 2

Before I understood I thought "shart-week" was just plain gross.

Edited by TripGun

Sharks kill each other, tigar sharks are cannibals also remember orcas killer whales have also been known to attack and kill great white sharks their name fits them.

Orca Latin bringer of death!