Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dog bites off volunteer's hand at kennels

Still Waters

A care home nurse from Cambridgeshire has spoken of the horrifying ordeal that saw her lose her right hand during an attack by a large dog at a kennel in Wisbech.

Sue Scarlett, 64, was set upon by the 14 stone mongrel while cleaning the kennels, an activity for which had given up her spare time in order to help a friend.

The grandmother, who described the dog as having a grey and black coat with paws the size of her own hands, told Cambridgeshire Live: "I shouted to him to let go but he just held on tighter. After what seemed like hours my husband heard me and tried to pull the dog away but was unable to do so.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/giant-dog-bites-off-volunteers-124800682.html

• Sad 6

Looks to me like it probably is a American Pit Bull mix. That's a nasty breed of dog. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Looks to me like it probably is a American Pit Bull mix. That's a nasty breed of dog. 

There are not a nasty breed of dog. They are more often owned by nasty people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

56 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Only if they were raised to be. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The dogs do not seem to have been household pets.

I agree the owners are to blame for how a dog is raised, but some dogs are more vicious naturally than others, and a pit bull kept in a kennel is a dog i would not like to let loose it if was not used to me being with it outside of a kennel.

It appears they were not her dogs 

cleaning the kennels, an activity for which had given up her spare time in order to help a friend.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/giant-dog-bites-off-volunteers-124800682.html

It does not say if it was a neighbour, but her husband was also there. 

Only assuming it was a pit bull as there is a picture of one at the end.

Personlly, i would not trust one if the owner was not around and  it was caged most of the time.

These dogs can be extremely loyal = to their owners, she was not the dogs owner. 

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

but some dogs are more vicious naturally than others,

Only certain herding dogs and the irony is they aren't considered dangerous. 

A Texas Heeler for example that was a worker and not a housepet will try to kill you if it doesn't know you. 

• Like 1

Just now, Piney said:

A Texas Heeler for example that was a worker and not a housepet will try to kill you if it doesn't know you. 

Chihuahuas often top lists of most aggressive dog breeds due to their jealously and untrusting nature.

And besides, just look at 'em... You'd be p***ed all the time, too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Chihuahuas often top lists of most aggressive dog breeds due to their jealously and untrusting nature.

Genetically they are nothing but a miniature Carolina Dog and my Carolina Dog I used for deer hunting as a teen would kill anything that didn't smell like a Indian.

• Like 1

@Imaginarynumber1  what gets me bent is these humaniacs that somehow think working dogs are pets in the burbs and city. They are not. Nor were they bred to be. My new neighbor has a mountain dog and they have no right keeping it in a small house and a tiny yard. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

@Imaginarynumber1  what gets me bent is these humaniacs that somehow think working dogs are pets in the burbs and city. They are not. Nor were they bred to be. My new neighbor has a mountain dog and they have no right keeping it in a small house and a tiny yard. 

Or the people who complain when dogs are out in the cold. Some breeds love being in the cold and snow and are built for it. Not every dog is a designer little **** like your toy poodle, Karen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Or the people who complain when dogs are out in the cold. Some breeds love being in the cold and snow and are built for it. Not every dog is a designer little **** like your toy poodle, Karen.

Yeah, I had a neighbor complain to the SPCA about my working dog living outside. He would of killed my Lhasa and my cats. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Piney said:

The problem.we have here is some owners get a pitbull, not because they want it as a loving pet, but because they want it as a statement status,  this has given it a bad name over here.

I know a few staffie owners and the dogs are great. But one owner got a two year old staffie which had never left its home. . The owner told him it only went out in their garden, was great with people, but had not been in contact with other dogs. 

He brought the dog to.the marina where there are many dogs, it wanted to kill every other dog in sight.

I have moved from there now (nothing to do with the dog, we just like to sail about)  i have heard the dog has since been put down. That is very sad as he loved people, had he stayed where he was before he would likely still be alive.

Because of its need for love and affection, the American Pit Bull does not do well when left alone for extended periods-of-time.

American Pit Bull Terriers have a great need to chew. They also have powerful jaws that can (and will) make quick work of cheap or flimsy toys. Be sure your Pitty has only tough, durable toys that can’t be chewed up and swallowed.

American Pit Bull Terriers are best suited to owners who can offer firm, fair training, and gentle, consistent discipline.

https://www.servicedogcertifications.org/can-a-pit-bull-be-a-service-dog/

Not sure what breed of mongrel the dog was in the OP,  would be interesting to know. We have many dogs on the marina and the only issues we have had was a boat with two staffies, they were told to leave.

But same old story, the owners had no control.over their dogs. 

It is a shame the bad name the dogs have got over here.

The thing is when i see someone i do not know with a pitbull or staffie, the first thing i think of is 'is that a good owner or a bad one?

Sometimes you can not tell until you get closer and as i have a cocker spaniel and a westie, i rather keep my distance and watch the owner first.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I have a cocker spaniel and he will go out in all weathers, where as if it is raining outside, the westie is going nowhere.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

The problem.we have here is some owners get a pitbull, not because they want it as a loving pet, but because they want it as a statement status,  this has given it a bad name over here.

That's the problem here too. A pitbull or Rotty is like a Harley Davidson or a Bushmaster M-16. It's a "penis" for somebody without one.  Then you have these new money yuppies buying this big working dogs as a social statement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

There are not a nasty breed of dog. They are more often owned by nasty people. 

I've known enough people who had loving, hands raised pit bulls that turned on their kids, to classify them as a nasty breed. If you want to toss some other breeds as nasty also, I'm ok with that. 

7 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

And besides, just look at 'em... You'd be p***ed all the time, too.

So you are saying dog breeds can be more, or less violent...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Piney said:

Only if they were raised to be. 

I'd disagree. Many of the more aggressive breeds will bite regardless of how they were raised. It only takes one bite from a pit to kill a toddler.

8 hours ago, Piney said:

Genetically they are nothing but a miniature Carolina Dog and my Carolina Dog I used for deer hunting as a teen would kill anything that didn't smell like a Indian.

So did you train the dog that way, or was it naturally (breed) aggressive?

Edited by DieChecker

7 hours ago, Piney said:

That's the problem here too. A pitbull or Rotty is like a Harley Davidson or a Bushmaster M-16. It's a "penis" for somebody without one.  Then you have these new money yuppies buying this big working dogs as a social statement. 

I'd agree I see (here in suburban Oregon) two types of pit bull owners. One, the ones who want it for a weapon. Drug dealers and gang posers mainly. And two, yuppie Millennials who believe the propaganda that a pit bull is a good family dog. And then the pit ends up at the animal shelter.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DieChecker said:

So did you train the dog that way, or was it naturally (breed) aggressive?

They are naturally aggressive to strangers.

1 minute ago, DieChecker said:

I'd disagree. Many if the more aggressive breeds will bite regardless of how they were raised. It only takes one bite from a pit to kill a toddler.

7 hours ago, Piney said:

I fostered pits. I have a cop friend who breeds quality police and military grade ones. @Iilaa'mpuul'xem  works with them on a professional level.

They are not a aggressive breed by nature. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I've known enough people who had loving, hands raised pit bulls that turned on their kids, to classify them as a nasty breed. If you want to toss some other breeds as nasty also, I'm ok with that. 

So you are saying dog breeds can be more, or less violent...

No. I said aggressive,  not violent. And ypure more likely to be bitten by a lab than a pit. The demonization of specific breeds need to end. It's bull**** and has no basis in facts.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

They are naturally aggressive to strangers.

I fostered pits. I have a cop friend who breeds quality police and military grade ones. @Iilaa'mpuul'xem  works with them on a professional level.

They are not a aggressive breed by nature. 

Hummm.... I respect your opinion, but I've just known people who if they had owned a lab, or dachshund, or Doberman, or German shepherd, their child would be alive today.

Maybe not aggressive, but deadly. It only takes one bite to kill a small child. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Hummm.... I respect your opinion, but I've just known people who if they had owned a lab, or dachshund, or Doberman, or German shepherd, their child would be alive today.

Inbreeding causes skull deformations. They had trash dogs. 

3 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Blue heelers and Carolina dogs go straight for the throat. That's a "one bite kill" too. My Cleo would kill coyotes with one pass. 

9 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

No. I said aggressive,  not violent. And ypure more likely to be bitten by a lab than a pit. The demonization of specific breeds need to end. It's bull**** and has no basis in facts.

Facts....

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-multi-year-fatality-report-2005-2017.php

U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities: Breeds of Dogs Involved, Age Groups and Other Factors Over a 13-Year Period (2005 to 2017)

Summary: In the 13-year period of January 1, 2005 to December 31, 2017, canines killed at least 433 Americans. Pit bulls contributed to 66% of these deaths. Rottweilers, the second leading canine killer, inflicted 10% of attacks that resulted in human death. Combined, two dog breeds accounted for 76% of the total recorded deaths. [Table 1]

I'm not even saying we outlaw them, or require special licenses. Just that they are a dangerous (nasty) breed.

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

Blue heelers and Carolina dogs go straight for the throat. That's a "one bite kill" too. My Cleo would kill coyotes with one pass. 

So... not family dogs?

Should we group pit bulls into that category too? Because there's many people who are pushing that they are good family dogs. 

5 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Facts....

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-multi-year-fatality-report-2005-2017.php

I'm not even saying we outlaw them, or require special licenses. Just that they are a dangerous (nasty) breed.

They are not any more dangerous than other breeds. A dog that bites is either poorly trained, scared, or injured. 

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Thanks 1