Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Harry Potter books burned by Catholic Priests

Eldorado

"Catholic priests in northern Poland have burned books they consider to be sacrilegious, including ones from the Harry Potter boy wizard series.

An evangelical group, the SMS from Heaven Foundation, published pictures of the burning - which took place in the city of Gdansk - on Facebook.

They also show an elephant figurine and a tribal mask burning on the book pile."

Full report at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47771706

At The Hill: https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/436758-catholic-priests-in-poland-burning-harry-potter-books-because

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eldorado said:

the SMS from Heaven Foundation,

? So they believe that God makes His wishes known by means of text message then? Do they have His number? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

A passage from Acts, quoted in the group's post, says "many of those who had practised magic collected their books and burned them in front of everyone. So they calculated their value and found it to be fifty thousand pieces of silver". 

https://polandin.com/42015778/evangelical-foundation-burns-books-amidst-black-magic-cleansing

Hmm, something tells me they were hoping to find some silver.

Another excerpt, from the Book of Deuteronomy, reads: "Burn the images of their gods. Don't desire the silver or the gold that is on them and take it for yourself, or you will be trapped by it. That is detestable to the Lord your God."

Lol, the Catholic churches  do like their gold, can not image them turning that down, they would call it a "donation".

What a whole lot of tosh this is. What it wrong with the priests? (Apart from their religion,  maybe thats all that is wrong with them?)

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Hope they paid for them first. 

It's pretty hilarious when the Assemblies of God church buy a load of books just to burn them. :yes:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Piney said:

It's pretty hilarious when the Assemblies of God church buy a load of books just to burn them. :yes:

Let's feed the beast while burning its books. That's next level genius right there.:rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Catholicism is just a form of ceremonial magick anyway. So...?

Which only the "elite" are allowed to perform. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Which only the "elite" are allowed to perform. 

High Magick has always been to egotistical for my liking. 

• Like 1

A remarkably successful publicity stunt, I would have thought ? 

I mean, had YOU ever heard of them before this ? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

SMS from Heaven Foundation

God has a mobile phone? 

Like the way the priests (and their god)  are moving with the times,  maybe its time they burn their old outdated religious  books, especially as god is texting them now, jeeezze!!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Yeah, if want to look foolish and superstitious to the public. Good idea if you want to attract your fellow fools though.

• Haha 1

Not much difference between the nazis and the Catholic Church then. Who would've thought...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I guess if you can't burn witches themselves anymore, fictional books about them is the next best thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jaded1 said:

Not much difference between the nazis and the Catholic Church then. Who would've thought...

There have been dozens of notable book burnings since WW2.... and lots more before WW2 as well. And it's not the Catholic Church in general doing this either. It's one church in one town that opted to have an occult burning. Wasn't just Harry Potter books.

I think it's rather sad when any group decides to have a burning like this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, rashore said:

There have been dozens of notable book burnings since WW2.... and lots more before WW2 as well. And it's not the Catholic Church in general doing this either. It's one church in one town that opted to have an occult burning. Wasn't just Harry Potter books.

I think it's rather sad when any group decides to have a burning like this.

I know; it was just that the comparison was far too attractive an option to resist. Personally I hate Harry Potter (way overrated when compared to true classics like Lord of the Rings) so I probably would've joined in and helped them pour the petrol :D.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jaded1 said:

I know; it was just that the comparison was far too attractive an option to resist. Personally I hate Harry Potter (way overrated when compared to true classics like Lord of the Rings) so I probably would've joined in and helped them pour the petrol :D.

Oh my... New Mexico 2001. A church that was having it's annual bonfire suggested folks kick in their Harry Potter... and it turned to an incident when it was noted that Lord of the Rings was being burned as well. Apparently some of the parishioners decided to compare the occult nature of HP and LotR together.

It's one of the unfortunate things about burnings... being unable to resist making comparisons and being willing to pour the first petrol can become something much more of a conflagration that what may have been originally intended.

I rather hope that this particular burning follows the general trend of more recent burnings of a one and done. And does not become it's own conflagration of more churches/groups participating.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, rashore said:

Oh my... New Mexico 2001. A church that was having it's annual bonfire suggested folks kick in their Harry Potter... and it turned to an incident when it was noted that Lord of the Rings was being burned as well. Apparently some of the parishioners decided to compare the occult nature of HP and LotR together.

It's one of the unfortunate things about burnings... being unable to resist making comparisons and being willing to pour the first petrol can become something much more of a conflagration that what may have been originally intended.

I rather hope that this particular burning follows the general trend of more recent burnings of a one and done. And does not become it's own conflagration of more churches/groups participating.

Gandalf disapproves :angry:.

Image result for Gandalf

• Haha 2

Religion is feeling more and more outdated as the years go by. :sleepy: 

Do the priests actually believe this crap? Or are they just trying for some publicity by targeting a book which half of the population will have in their homes? 

I am mostly concerned about the BBC article calling it a bonfire though. That is truly sacrilegious.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

I mean, had YOU ever heard of them before this ? 

I'll give you that but I can't imagine they'd want to generate that kind of "buzz".  "Where they burn books, at the end they will burn people" (Heinrich Heine) 

Maybe all the fantasy and sci-fi fans out there should start burning religious texts.
(I'm kidding. I am 100% against the immolation of mythology.)

• Like 1

"NOVELUS RESTORUS!"

sub-buzz-28487-1542652247-2.jpg?downsize

Problem solved.

• Haha 6

eyeroll-cersei-lannister.gif

But they have all the Game of Thrones character's lines memorized.  Oh and what about the mountains of MAD magazines?

Edited by MWoo7
  • Haha 3

Wait? If they're burning books, does that mean it's cold in catholic hell? I guess they've got to keep warm somehow.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1