Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Harry Potter books burned by Catholic Priests

Eldorado

6 hours ago, freetoroam said:

God has a mobile phone? 

Hi Freetoroam

Yes, god has a phone actually they are all burners.

jmccr8

• Haha 2

I was never restricted from reading anything by my parents. Books and movies have for years been railed against and banned from schools. Some of them for racism like Huckleberry Finn or sexism like The Scarlet Letter. You have to take into account the times in which they were written.

http://www.ala.org/advocacy/bbooks/frequentlychallengedbooks/classics

In my opinion, this is why we have monuments being protested and demanding removal. They don't see the historical significance, they just see a racist and slave owner. It doesn't matter if he was one of our Founding Fathers..

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/hofstra-thomas-jefferson-statue-1.17719589

• Like 3

Very odd, in a country that wraps a lot of national pride around their own, homegrown fantastical production.

Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-The-wallpaper-1.jpg

• Like 3

So its just the books in the Vatican.  Got it.  Why did they have truckloads of Harry Potter eh!??!?!  A BIT OF HUMOUR

..hey Hammerclaw {{[[cool pic by the way]... cryptic... posting so ? the vatican or ITALY puts out my WITCHER 3 set? yes, I'm probably way off on the meaning

Edited by MWoo7

3 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

"NOVELUS RESTORUS!"

sub-buzz-28487-1542652247-2.jpg?downsize

Problem solved.

That's: MISCHIEF MANAGED, thank you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MWoo7 said:

So its just the books in the Vatican.  Got it.  Why did they have truckloads of Harry Potter eh!??!?!  A BIT OF HUMOUR

..hey Hammerclaw {{[[cool pic by the way]... cryptic... posting so ? the vatican or ITALY puts out my WITCHER 3 set? yes, I'm probably way off on the meaning

Google it.

• Thanks 1

So did they burn them cause Harry Potter is evil due to witchcraft, or because JK Rowling keeps turning all her characters gay? :huh:

• Haha 6

If this was a publicity stunt, maybe this organisation could have achieved their "flavour of the month - dopamine hit" by gifting all of the books to underprivileged kids. I don't know, just saying. How very Christian of them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rashore said:

A church that was having it's annual bonfire suggested folks kick in their Harry Potter... and it turned to an incident when it was noted that Lord of the Rings was being burned as well.

That'd be the one by J.R.R. Tolkien, famously devout Roman Catholic? :where's a doh emoticon?: 

• Like 3

If they want to burn books that depict people performing magic - like bringing the dead back to life, walking on water, magically creating hundreds of fish and loaves or turning water into wine - then I could suggest a good book for them ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Essan said:

If they want to burn books that depict people performing magic - like bringing the dead back to life, walking on water, magically creating hundreds of fish and loaves or turning water into wine - then I could suggest a good book for them ;)

Hi Essan

Might as well burn an effigy of me too because there has been a lot of magic in my life.:lol:

When I'm 65 Lol, but then I never wrote a book about it.:lol::whistle:

Actually, the first book was called "Rambling" and the sequel was called "Rambling on";)

jmccr8

• Haha 2

While driving through the midwest last weekend I ended up listening to a lot of Christian radio from time to time. It seemed to be about the only thing on in some areas and frankly, I'm curious. What strikes me most about the church in the last couple of decades is its lack of focus on itself. The church seems obsessed with perceived attacks on themselves as well as society at large. In the 3 cumulative hours or so of listening (I couId only take so much at a time) I didn't hear ONE SINGLE THING about introspection, service to God, service to your fellows or self improvement. It was one attack after another against this group or that, political and otherwise. It's just become hate radio. It's sad.

I don't plan on making that drive again soon, but if I do I think I'm going to renew my satellite radio subscription. That was painful.

• Like 4

It isn't really surprising that some theists think that Harry Potter, Dungeons & Dragons, and other works of fiction are satanic and can be used to create magic. After all, theists entire belief system is based on the belief in supernatural magical beings.

And sadly, most of those people who gladly burn books have never read them, because someone told them they are "evil". It is no wonder that ignorance is so widespread on this backward little mudball of a planet.

• Like 2

Idiocy. But I guess when you are a member of the Catholic Church, an organization that is terrified of critical thinking and rationality, you aren't big on allowing things to exist that you don't like. Oh well, all they're doing is proving their incompatibility with modern society.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:
On 4/2/2019 at 11:54 AM, rashore said:

A church that was having it's annual bonfire suggested folks kick in their Harry Potter... and it turned to an incident when it was noted that Lord of the Rings was being burned as well.

That'd be the one by J.R.R. Tolkien, famously devout Roman Catholic? :where's a doh emoticon?: 

tenor.gif.,..

Fell on deaf ears, I thought it was great better than ...

but hey that's the world these days. 

Edited by MWoo7
  • Haha 3

Latest:

Polish priest apologises for Harry Potter book burning

Priest says the public destruction of ‘evil’ items, including JK Rowling’s books and Buddhist figurines, was not intended to condemn specific authors or religions

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/apr/04/polish-priest-apologises-for-harry-potter-book-burning

2 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

Latest:

Polish priest apologises for Harry Potter book burning

Priest says the public destruction of ‘evil’ items, including JK Rowling’s books and Buddhist figurines, was not intended to condemn specific authors or religions

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/apr/04/polish-priest-apologises-for-harry-potter-book-burning

I fear this is going to spiral. Personally I'm almost more offended by the burning of a Buddha and an African mask, and what's with the owl figurines, or the elephant? Here's an idea, if your goal is to resist evil and negativity in general, maybe not a public burning next time. You know, with the flames and the condemnation ... it conjures some bad memories. 

“I was once asked why I don't participate in anti-war demonstrations. I said that I will never do that, but as soon as you have a pro-peace rally, I'll be there.”. - Mother Teresa 

[You give energy to what you push against.]

On 04/04/2019 at 7:57 AM, Podo said:

Idiocy. But I guess when you are a member of the Catholic Church, an organization that is terrified of critical thinking and rationality, you aren't big on allowing things to exist that you don't like. Oh well, all they're doing is proving their incompatibility with modern society.

Nice generalisation. 

However, isn't banning and scrubbing literature from the internet the same thing. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Calibeliever said:

I fear this is going to spiral. Personally I'm almost more offended by the burning of a Buddha and an African mask, and what's with the owl figurines, or the elephant? Here's an idea, if your goal is to resist evil and negativity in general, maybe not a public burning next time. You know, with the flames and the condemnation ... it conjures some bad memories. 

“I was once asked why I don't participate in anti-war demonstrations. I said that I will never do that, but as soon as you have a pro-peace rally, I'll be there.”. - Mother Teresa 

[You give energy to what you push against.]

It sounds like act similar to Moses burning the golden calf.

Maybe this was a comment on the wordplay rather than the content?  I mean there have been times I have wanted to burn R.A. Salvatore books.

14 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

It sounds like act similar to Moses burning the golden calf.

It does a little. 

19 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Nice generalisation. 

However, isn't banning and scrubbing literature from the internet the same thing. 

In terms of censorship? Yes. In terms of the social impact of the act? No. My issue is the burning of books one doesn't like in order to make a statement. It's an ignorant, idiotic statement and makes them look like idiots. But, I in no way see any issue with them simply not reading books they don't like, that's totally fine. It's their strategy that is silly.

Edited by Podo

1 hour ago, Abilityperson said:

Ok so them books are totally wrong

Wrong in what way?

3 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Wrong in what way?

No I don't think they are wrong but the church. Myself I could care less

3 minutes ago, Abilityperson said:

No I don't think they are wrong but the church. Myself I could care less

Well, welcome to UM, enjoy the show.

And not to be too critical, but your writing style could use a little work. It appears as though you were saying that the HP books were wrong and I was trying to determine what you meant.

• Like 1