Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Comic books & Graphic novels

TrumanB

What are your favourite comics?

I'll name some: Dylan Dog, Martin Mystere, Corto Maltese, Conan.

As you can see I prefer the Italian school, not such a big fan of superheroes. If you have any recommendation to give on American comics that are not about superheroes I'm open. Conan is my favourite and as a kid, I read Flash Gordon and Rip Kirby. I also read 100 Bullets and Preacher a couple of years ago.

Slaine was one of my biggies as a child with most anything in Heavy Metal magazine, along with Star Wars the X Men and Wolverine.

I also like the Gunslinger ones, although their lack of practical knowledge of 6 shooters and fast draw rigs makes me nuts. I also have a lot of Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman and various weird supernatural ones. 

• Like 1

I'm by no means a superfan of comics/graphic novels, but Ricardo Delgado's Age of Reptiles series is by far my favorite.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Piney said:

Slaine was one of my biggies as a child with most anything in Heavy Metal magazine, along with Star Wars the X Men and Wolverine.

This Slaine looks like a variation on Conan on first sight.

As a kid, I also read Lucky Luck, Asterix and Obelix, Il grande Black, Zagor T-ney, Commander Mark, Tex,  Silver Surfer ( the only superhero that I really like! ), Alan Ford...Unfortunately, European comic books are not translated much in the USA so you probably never heard of them.

Edited by TrumanB
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TrumanB said:

This Slaine looks like a variation on Conan on first sight.

That's what it is. Conan combined with Irish legend.

I liked the Conan novels. At least the Howard ones, but I never read the comics. 

Only ones I ever bought as a kid were Superman, Spiderman etc...The common ones I guess you would say. Of course there is this one:

10770.jpg

Edited by Alien Origins
  • Like 1

Back in the 90's I had a thing for the Aliens series by dark horse comics. Last comic books I bought were The Walking Dead first prints of the first 10 issues. Then I sold them, got a nice chunk of change for that. I gave up collecting soon after. Though I do have a few Hellboy graphic novels around.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Piney said:

That's what it is. Conan combined with Irish legend.

I liked the Conan novels. At least the Howard ones, but I never read the comics. 

Howard's stories are very good, and the best comic serials are on the same level. I suggest you to read SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN, imo that one is the best one.

• Like 2

Right now, I'm reading Tintin - one of the most famous euro comics. I hear that Peter Jackson is going to make a film.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TrumanB said:

Right now, I'm reading Tintin - one of the most famous euro comics. I hear that Peter Jackson is going to make a film.

I have a few in Dutch. 

Where did you get them?? :D Tintin is French-Belgian stuff.

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Back in the 90's I had a thing for the Aliens series by dark horse comics. Last comic books I bought were The Walking Dead first prints of the first 10 issues. Then I sold them, got a nice chunk of change for that. I gave up collecting soon after. Though I do have a few Hellboy graphic novels around.

I loved the dark horse alien books. And the predator ones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrumanB said:

Where did you get them?? :D Tintin is French-Belgian stuff.

From the U.K. 

i read... a lot of comics. i've never been a super hero fan but i've got everything else. tintin, moomin, asterix are all classics. i have collections of newspaper comics, from pogo and krazy kat to doonesbury and on and on. i used to read american splendor a lot, i think it's a shame that harvey pekar seems to have basically been forgotten after he passed away

there's amazing stuff coming out in young adult graphic novels these days, though from what you say they probably aren't to your tastes. i just read a beautiful little story called "taproot".

i have a pull list at my comic shop, i need to go there in a few days and pick things up.

but yes, pogo.

656cc6b39c771272f5beef8f6eedf858.jpg.4ce3a755d3465e522332ad61d9fe2e85.jpg

• Like 2

Gotta admit, except for Asterix, I am not at all a fan of those "classic" Franco-Belgian comics from the 60s/70s. I like modern French Comics, such as Freaks' Squeele much better.

But I've always preferred super hero comics, particularly the various team books from the 80s when they were pretty much just over-dramatic soap operas with some super hero action included. You know X-Men, New Mutants, X-Factor, The New (Teen) Titans, Avengers, League of Superheores. I just love all that stuff; the love triangles the unnatural, histrionic dialogue, the clumsy tackling of "current issues", the good looking men in skin-tight costumes... I love it!

A pretty good story from that period is "God Loves, Man Kills" (basically the X-Men battling a TV Evangelist). And well, you gotta give credit that those comics at least talked about real life issues, no matter how clumsily it was done....and that unlike quite a few of the old Franco-Belgian comics they at least acknowledged that women exist. Chris Claremont's runs on X-Men and new Mutants in particular had a number of prominent and interesting female characters....of course towards the end it seems like he engaged in increasing amounts of "author appeal"....
There's also quite a few modern team books that are well written; the various modern incarnations of X-Factor for example, or Birds of Prey. Nest Wave was also really funny (they had their own team song) and so are Deadpool/Squirrel Girl. Especially Squirrel Girl. 

I also like quite a few fantasy-themed ones, such as Saga and the Sandman. I'm also still of the opinion that the rebooted version of Amethyst - Princess of Gem World could have been good if people had given it a bit more of a chance (and the author/D.C. comics had waited a bit longer to start with the crossovers :rolleyes:)
On that topic; the reboot comics of Jem and Holograms (some cartoon from the 80s, apprently) are also quite good. Form what I can tell they don't have a lot to do with the original version, but they are very well written with interesting characters and LGBT themes.

• Like 2

Will Eisner and Richard Corben spoiled me and  comics just never looked the same until that Sin City series came along. Asterix and Obelix is the grand choice of a read, I have the whole series stacked up somewhere in the new house 

• Like 2

I have also the original series of Asterix and Obelix but I think that other authors gave their contribution too. Never read those.

• Like 1