Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Study highlights how incivility can backfire

ExpandMyMind

Thought this was particularly relevant to this sub-forum.

Well-reasoned arguments can get disregarded if their proponents are perceived as disrespectful and uncivil, according to new research that examined perceptions of online political discussions. The findings appear in the journal Computers in Human Behavior.

----------

“If you want to persuade others that disagree with you by the content of the argument you are making, it is generally best to avoid belittling their views. Name calling and mockery will cause your arguments to appear to be less rational, even in circumstances where you are making good points,” Popan told PsyPost.

Psypost

Turn out @Tiggs was way ahead of the curve on this one :D

We should probably get Saru to sticky this article here and on the Europe and ME forums as a reminder for us all.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Thought this was particularly relevant to this sub-forum.

Psypost

Turn out @Tiggs was way ahead of the curve on this one :D

We should probably get Saru to sticky this article here and on the Europe and ME forums as a reminder for us all.

I've been a big proponent of this. No need for degrading, belittling, or assuming the intention of others needed in a debate or argument. You will not be able to change someone's mind if you treat them like they are a plaque or disaster. Just treat others how you wanted to be treated and try to see things from their point of view, then develop an argument for your view supported by facts and examples. Period. The reason I don't debate anymore here is that people are straight up rude, assuming intentions, and calling others degrading names or accusing them of something. It is sad and pathetic.

I like the "Pin my post" part

On a site that doesn't pin posts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, acidhead said:

I like the "Pin my post" part

On a site that doesn't pin posts.

Actually, I purposely wrote 'sticky this article'. I have no desire to have one of my posts pinned/stickied.

Also, there are plenty of pinned threads on this site, so I'm not even sure what you're talking about.

• Like 1