Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Moscow trains paranormal soldiers

macqdor

Ever get the feeling you have extrasensory perception, or ESP -- a "sixth sense" that gives you powers of perception that transcend the familiar five senses?

Well, you're wrong about that.

A new study, published online Jan. 13 in the journal PLOS ONE, shows that there's simply no such thing as a sixth sense.

LINK

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, macqdor said:

I sense envy. Nothing what u said relates to the post or url posted.

On the contrary, it applies to every single post you make.

• Like 2

Parapsychology is the study of paranormal psychic phenomena, including ESP. Parapsychology has been criticized for continuing investigation despite being unable to provide convincing evidence for the existence of any psychic phenomena after more than a century of research.[21] The scientific community rejects ESP due to the absence of an evidence base, the lack of a theory which would explain ESP and the lack of positive experimental results; it considers ESP to be pseudoscience.

The scientific consensus does not view extrasensory perception as a scientific phenomenon. Skeptics have pointed out that there is no viable theory to explain the mechanism behind ESP, and that there are historical cases in which flaws have been discovered in the experimental design of parapsychological studies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extrasensory_perception

• Like 3

Of course this is just an explanation for one type of "sixth sense" and doesn't disprove all forms of extrasensory perception. So there's nothing to stop this happening.

@marsman

U forgot about that part of the article 

Depends what your definition of extra sensory is?

Are we debating extra sensory perception or are we debating parapsychology? Pick your poison?

The you cited an article saying theres no such thing as a sixth sense. 

I bet if you posted a survey here asking if that statement is true or false u might get a shocking response. 

My definition of a six sense I'm pretty sure is different than yours. As is everyone elses.

My definition is based off my experience. 

Parapsychology? If that's the road u want to go down. We can do that do to.

I put as much as stock in organized science as I do with organized religion. 

Which is extremely low.

45 minutes ago, macqdor said:

@marsman

U forgot about that part of the article 

doesnt matter....its never been proved......no psychic ever won the lottery did they? 

edited 20 mins later....as it would  seem my bolded words have made OP leave the discussion!    :P

Edited by marsman
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, moonman said:

Straw-man! Straw-man! Everybody do the straw-man!

9A75D775-D09B-4154-9A61-D28E4AAD6D9D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oh softball questions. I likes.

Ask any true psychic they'll tell they were born with their talent or gift I should say. Gifts are just that gifts. No one understands why it's just a gift.  Si of us has different gifts were born with. Who gives these gifts? No one knows. God? Jesus? Nature? Science? Who knows.  

Nature seems to have built mechanisms that prevent such things as predicting lotto numbers, horse races and other games of chance. But that's not all. Psychics also cant prevent death. Or illnesses, including those that lead to death. The person with the gift doesn't make the rules, there just blessed, or lucky. Whatever you want to call it. Its unexplained.  Same name as this domain all u skeptics populate and belong to.

@marsman

Edited by macqdor
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, macqdor said:

Depends what your definition of extra sensory is?

Are we debating extra sensory perception or are we debating parapsychology? Pick your poison?

There are more than 6 billion people on Earth, constantly thinking and all experiencing dozens of significant events every day. Statistically, on any particular day, some of the things some people envision will line up closely with some of the things those people happen to experience. In all of your time on Earth, this will undoubtedly happen to you now and then. Add to this the desire for an afterlife, the skeptics say, and it's no wonder such a large section of the population deludes itself into believing in psi phenomenon.

The chances of a hit climb even higher when you consider people's ability to make reasoned, educated guesses. For example, Morgan Robertson's apparent prediction of the Titanic disaster seems less incredible when you learn that he was a former seaman who knew a lot about modern ship technology. His book correctly guessed details of the real ship and the crash, skeptics say, because he had a good understanding of how a ship like that would be built, how it might get into trouble and what would happen in that scenario.

In any case, it's clear that human nature does lead people to focus on a few instances of extraordinary coincidence as evidence of something supernatural, while completely ignoring the thousands of dreams and visions that don't line up with reality in any remarkable way.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/extrasensory-perceptions/esp3.htm

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, macqdor said:

Nature seems to have built mechanisms that prevent such things as predicting lotto numbers, horse races and other games of chance.

yeah psychics say that kind of response to explain why they can only expect payment from little old ladies and gullible idiots......look up what psychics or clairvoyants or tarrot readers charge.....hypocrites

Edited by marsman
  • Like 3

How utterly convienient that psychic powers have "built in mechanisms" that prevent them from working in any measurable way. That doesn't sound like a completely BS excuse made up on the fly, no siree.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, macqdor said:

Nature seems to have built mechanisms that prevent such things as predicting lotto numbers, horse races and other games of chance. But that's not all. Psychics also cant prevent death. Or illnesses, including those that lead to death. The person with the gift doesn't make the rules, there just blessed, or lucky. Whatever you want to call it. Its unexplained.  Same name as this domain all u skeptics populate and belong to.

@marsman

see bolded above.....nobody is saying they can prevent death

see bolded above.....nobody is saying they can predict death

That was an auto-correct typo from my cell phone.  The word I meant is prevent.  Nature, God, whoever it is that gives us gifts.  Psychics believe their ability to see certain things before they happen is a gift. If true?  It most certainly is. Nature, aka the LAW. purposely restricts that gift from being used for vanity purposes. If you can predict lottery numbers or what baseball team wins the next World Series that in my opinion would be a universal imbalance.  A violation of laws we've yet to understand.

@marsman

How utterly convienient that psychic powers have "built in mechanisms" that prevent them from working in any measurable way. That doesn't sound like a completely BS excuse made up on the fly, no siree.

That law governs everyone not just psychics. 

Of course, a skeptic ( embedded with cynicism)  who believes a man was born with 5 senses  (that's it)  would think that way.  

Preconceived notions, telepathic behaviors exist outside the norms of science as they should.  Exhibit A. the original article (that started this debate).   Imagine what a government could do if they were to weaponize that which you find laughable.   Why do you think the military arms of these govt's are studying it?    To pass the time of day?  They want to harness the capability?  Make their gov't superior over others.   

@marsman

7 minutes ago, macqdor said:

Of course, a skeptic ( embedded with cynicism)  who believes a man was born with 5 senses  (that's it)  would think that way.  

Preconceived notions, telepathic behaviors exist outside the norms of science as they should.  Exhibit A. the original article (that started this debate).   Imagine what a government could do if they were to weaponize that which you find laughable.   Why do you think the military arms of these govt's are studying it?    To pass the time of day?  They want to harness the capability?  Make their gov't superior over others.   

@marsman

only in fantasy land......Uri Geller was seriously studied by many official types.....they concluded he used trickery and cold reading methods

Dude. Uri Geller is not the only person to ever go through psi study or be tested.   You skeptics throw that name around like flu.

That's your go to gotcha case lol.

US, China, Russia had success with certain individuals as it relates to psi research. 

Might not have been a huge r.o.i. but there was success. Pres. Carter  said as such.

@marsman

2 minutes ago, macqdor said:

Dude. Uri Geller is not the only person to ever go through psi study or be tested.   You skeptics throw that name around like flu.

That's your go to gotcha case lol.

US, China, Russia had success with certain individuals as it relates to psi research. 

Might not have been a huge r.o.i. but there was success. Pres. Carter  said as such.

@marsman

Geller rose to prominence in the 1970s with an act based around his apparent psychic powers and telepathy skills, which were even tested by the CIA.

37 minutes ago, macqdor said:

@marsman

Talk about strawman arguments - you don't know what one actually is but you sure know how to dish one out.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2

let me give everyone here my psychic impressions....of all of you!

You have a great need for other people to like and admire you.
    You have a tendency to be critical of yourself.
    You have a great deal of unused capacity which you have not turned to your advantage.
    While you have some personality weaknesses, you are generally able to compensate for them.
    Your sexual adjustment has presented problems for you.
    Disciplined and self-controlled outside, you tend to be worrisome and insecure inside.
    At times you have serious doubts as to whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing.
    You prefer a certain amount of change and variety and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations.
    You pride yourself as an independent thinker and do not accept others’ statements without satisfactory proof.
    You have found it unwise to be too frank in revealing yourself to others.
    At times you are extroverted, affable, sociable, while at other times you are introverted, wary, reserved.
    Some of your aspirations tend to be pretty unrealistic.

• The topic was locked