Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Moscow trains paranormal soldiers

macqdor

Those were actually the original statements used by psychologist Bertram Forer in his famous demonstration in 1948.

He gave a group of students a fictitious ‘personality test’, and then one week later he presented them with the results.

Every student was given the same personality test results, consisting of the statements above. In fact those statements were obtained by Forer from an astrology book that he got from a news stand.

They were not derived in any way from the test that the students took.

Despite this, the students rated the test as over 80% accurate in it’s analysis of their personalities.

Even though there is absolutely nothing in it that is related to them as an individual, and even though they all got the same results!

They all believed that the classic statements applied to them personally.

read this short link

https://coldreadingworld.com/classic-reading/

• Like 4

You have a great need for other people to like and admire you.
    You have a tendency to be critical of yourself.
    You have a great deal of unused capacity which you have not turned to your advantage.
    While you have some personality weaknesses, you are generally able to compensate for them.
    Your sexual adjustment has presented problems for you.
    Disciplined and self-controlled outside, you tend to be worrisome and insecure inside.
    At times you have serious doubts as to whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing.
    You prefer a certain amount of change and variety and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations.
    You pride yourself as an independent thinker and do not accept others’ statements without satisfactory proof.
    You have found it unwise to be too frank in revealing yourself to others.
    At times you are extroverted, affable, sociable, while at other times you are introverted, wary, reserved.
    Some of your aspirations tend to be pretty unrealistic.

LOL

did u did pycho-analyze me via the internet?

That's paranormal LMAO !

@marsman

congratulations you're telepathic.

Now my turn.

You amuse me LOL!

that's it.

This article describes some recent experimental and theoretical work in China, including successful attempts to train ESP abilities in blind children. It has been contributed by Professor Yi-Fang Chang, a physicist and experimental parapsychologist at China’s Yumman University.

Now can we please stay on topic.

https://psi-encyclopedia.spr.ac.uk/articles/psi-research-china

The Institute of Somatic Science of Yumman University was founded in 1980, where successful experiments have included the advancing and retarding of a clock by means of mental intention in the absence of any known physical force.2

In 2013, the International Chinese Parapsychology Association (ICA), now registered in Hong Kong, was set up to integrate Chinese psi research with other global activity in the field. Key founders were professors Leu Ying Jong (National Taiwan University), Albert So (Hong Kong University), and Yi-Fang Chang (Yunnan University).  Member associations include the Southern China Branch of Yunnan University; the Hubei branch founded by Gong Zhe-bing (Wehan University); the Jiangsu branch founded by Yin Daming; and the Hebei branch founded by Guo Decai. 

The Mind-Matter Parapsychology Phenomena and Study Kumming Ltd, registered in Kumming (capital of Yunnan province) has recently been established. These associations can also call upon the expertise of scientists such as Shao Linxiang (Kochi University of Technology), Leping Zha and Dong Shen.

Near-death experiences and the traditional Chinese culture that includes communication with the dead and other discarnate entities are now under investigation using modern scientific methods. We Kang, for example, has edited the Dictionary of Chinese Mysterious Culture (1993) in which he has identified and codified a wide range of psi phenomena that offer themselves for scientific inquiry.

18 minutes ago, macqdor said:

Now can we please stay on topic.

everything has been on topic.....Uri geller debunked...a cold reading example....a card trick which removes the very card you chose EVERYTIME IT GETS IT RIGHT....see....theres nothing to it but trickery....ALWAYS has been that way

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, macqdor said:

LOL

did u did pycho-analyze me via the internet?

That's paranormal LMAO !

@marsman

congratulations you're telepathic.

Now my turn.

You amuse me LOL!

its what psychics and clairvoyants say to lure you in and get you to pay their fee......same with palm readers etc

You havent been on topic the last several posts. Personal attacks,  introduced a straw man only to debunk and side stepped the CIAs report of the China govt interests in Psi research with showed some results. 

Oh yeah, you're way off topic.

Being that I've not levied one attack at you or personal shot (unprovoked) I'd say I'm ahead. You? However are playing to an audience.  Forum friends no doubt. 

My conclusion:

Govts in the past through their military a d spy breach have investigated in Psi research.  FOIA documents are released periodically stating that exact fact. Since US classified documents can stay classified for years and years I feel safe in saying some research still continues.  These studies wont be released to the public till 20 to 30 yrs from now. Whatever their expiration date is. 

This community titled unexplained mysteries subjects itself to such topics therefore I will keep posting. Topics that interest me fyi.  

You know what means? 

It means I unfortunately most likely will bump into you and your clique here again.

LOL! You mysteriously keep finding your way to my posts.  Topics you  claim to have zero interest in.

Now that's an unexplained mystery. 

47 minutes ago, macqdor said:

You havent been on topic the last several posts. Personal attacks,

show me one personal attack.....or apologise

11 hours ago, macqdor said:

Not whining. Just observation

Fail?  You haven't been studying google lately?  Y

You guys response is so predictable.    

Russia has studied Psi phenomena, poltergeist phenomena in the past. Still are

China ".........................................................."

United States has 

Australia has

so much time, money, energy in a science you regard as "rubbish."

I post an article that makes the front page of the Russia Defense Ministry magazine and everybody acts it's the second coming.

what you.........trip over to get to my posts is so academic now.

Don't blame me. Blame Putin LOL

The fact that a paltry amount of money is thrown at these failed ideas is ok. Lots of money get used to check out other failed ideas.

The amount of money spent in the US on failed ideas such as project Stargate is minuscule. 

Your claim of "so much time, money, and energy" is as phony as the hoax you promote. Is it rubbish? The evidence sure says it is.

• Like 3

The excuses keep piling up from those promoting the failed idea of psychic abilities.

Nature seems to have built mechanisms that prevent such things as predicting lotto numbers, horse races and other games of chance. But that's not all. Psychics also cant prevent death. Or illnesses, including those that lead to death.

Great excuse as to why psi doesn't appear to exist or doesn't work when it would be an advantage.

Let's apply this nitwit idea to the OP. Governments are wasting their time because nature seems to have built mechanisms that prevent such things as government spying.

1. Imagine what a government could do if they were to weaponize that which you find laughable.

That's the extent of psi - imagination. It's all pretending and imagination.

a skeptic ( embedded with cynicism)  who believes a man was born with 5 senses  (that's it)

There are many more than the 5 senses. In other threads I've already informed you of others such as the proprioceptive sense. Please learn.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, macqdor said:

LOL.

These claims have all failed. 

It is so funny when people have to post laughable jokes.

All the article states is that China is using the faux-studies as a symbol of nationalistic pride.

It's all about showing off the "glories of their brilliant culture."

• Like 2

The world is full of baloney stories. That doesn't stop people from spending money on them.

There are plenty of ads for homeopathic drugs. Next the craze will be the same under a new name, active release drugs.

Here are examples of other tests that showed a failed idea. These are being shown to have failed by collecting evidence.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160403200139.htm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/07/12/a-brief-history-of-d-a-r-e-the-anti-drug-program-jeff-sessions-wants-to-revive/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.55e92764068a

https://newatlas.com/cancer-drug-alzheimers-dementia-tau-tangles/59051/

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20180703/Anticonvulsants-found-to-be-ineffective-for-low-back-pain-and-can-have-adverse-effects.aspx

The simple fact is that testing has not shown any of the psi claims to be real. In fact, they show that there is no psi.

The evidence is there. It has been collected.

Then there are imaginative stories made up by retired colonels and cash set aside by lawmakers despite the evidence.

• Like 3

Earlier in the thread I mentioned a number of Russian psychics with talents claimed to be like that of Uri Geller.

We have Nina Kulagina. Caught often cheating.

Then there is Boris Ermolaev. He was caught cheating too.

Then there is Alla Vinogradova. She was caught cheating as well.

Are there other cheaters? Of course. The Soviet Union was full of these fakers.

What about Rosa Kuleshova? Caught.

All of these cheaters liked to get in front of the camera in uncontrolled situations to demonstrate their abilities. Their ability was to do a magic trick but claimed they had real powers. They didn't have any powers other than good showmanship and sleight of hand.

Edited by stereologist
spelling
  • Like 3

@stereologist

You can bring all the pyschic cheaters (straw men) you want. S

You skeptics would debunk a ham sandwhich if you thought you could get away with it.   Scientists have already proven some psi is real. Just because there are cheaters in the field. Opportunists doesn't void out other occurrences.  You skeptics love using a broad paint brunch.

Counts of fakery, and for the record some of your accusations are coming from career skeptics present forum members not withstanding. 

Govts invest in the study in the past. That's been proven. 

Govts still invest in the study. That's been proven as well.

So keep googling till your hearts content, propping up reports of hosting. Your not moving the Needle on my stance. Still wont change the fact that govts donate a percentage of funds to the research. 

Your tax dollars.

On 4/3/2019 at 11:53 PM, pallidin said:

The U.S., Russia, China and other nation governments have looked into the paranormal for many years. Mostly for military intelligence concerns.

The issue is not new.

Nope sure isn't...If I recall during World War 1 or 2 the US and British forces held hundreds of thousands in detention camps for fear of werewolves....Now I don't know if this was because they feared an actual werewolf or because the Nazi's had created a Werewolf Squad..I guess it was some kind of elite Nazi unit then like our Special Forces or Seal Teams are today...I could be wrong on this so do not take it to heart.

16 minutes ago, macqdor said:

@stereologist

You can bring all the pyschic cheaters (straw men) you want. S

You skeptics would debunk a ham sandwhich if you thought you could get away with it.   Scientists have already proven some psi is real. Just because there are cheaters in the field. Opportunists doesn't void out other occurrences.  You skeptics love using a broad paint brunch.

Counts of fakery, and for the record some of your accusations are coming from career skeptics present forum members not withstanding. 

Govts invest in the study in the past. That's been proven. 

Govts still invest in the study. That's been proven as well.

So keep googling till your hearts content, propping up reports of hosting. Your not moving the Needle on my stance. Still wont change the fact that govts donate a percentage of funds to the research. 

Your tax dollars.

I see you still don't know what a straw man is. You really should try to learn something for a change.

You hoaxers are an odd lot that think they can fool anyone. Your silly hoax doesn't fool me. But then again you prey on the extremely gullible.

The cheaters I pointed out were all of the famous Russian psychics, but you probably did not know that. It was these cheaters, Nina in particular, that spurred the US government to invest in psychic studies for the military. But you probably did not know that even after I posted links.

And again you are being a hypocritical two faced whiner with your ad hominems.

I have provided links showing a greater range of investing in psychic studies than you have.

Governments might be investing in more psychic studies. Not proven, but suggested.

The unavoidable fact is that there is  still no evidence of anything psychic. The investment in studies showing issues not to be useful were money well spent such as the determination of risk or efficacy or effectiveness of drugs. 

The tiny trickle of money spent on looking into psychic issues is more than likely a waste of money.

• Like 2

What is clear is that the research, if you can call it that, by the government does not concern the tag applied by maqcdor to this thread. That tag must be there solely as an advertising gimmick for his pet hoax.

• Like 2

So who exposed the Russian cheaters? Was it career skeptics? Here is the list:

We have Nina Kulagina. Caught often cheating.

Then there is Boris Ermolaev. He was caught cheating too.

Then there is Alla Vinogradova. She was caught cheating as well.

What about Rosa Kuleshova? Caught.

It turns out that some were caught by so-called "career skeptics". That's the term used by the hypocritical two-faced poster.

Actually, some of these people were exposed by parapsycology researchers that discovered the tricks being used by these cheaters.

So who exposes the cheaters? People looking for evidence. People that want to actually research and investigate these issues, not those promoting hoaxes like the Washington state poltergeist hoax.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

Nope sure isn't...If I recall during World War 1 or 2 the US and British forces held hundreds of thousands in detention camps for fear of werewolves....Now I don't know if this was because they feared an actual werewolf or because the Nazi's had created a Werewolf Squad..I guess it was some kind of elite Nazi unit then like our Special Forces or Seal Teams are today...I could be wrong on this so do not take it to heart.

The Nazi Werewolves Who Terrorized Allied Soldiers at the End of WWII
Though the guerrilla fighters didn’t succeed in slowing the Allied occupation of Germany, they did sow fear wherever they went

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/nazi-werewolves-who-terrorized-allied-soldiers-end-wwii-180970522/#zQXLA0JrQw3IxDDD.99

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, marsman said:

everyone here.....try this card trick....until you know how its done....its mind boggling!

for those who tried....heres the method....there are 4 suits in a deck.....but look above....you only see 2 of each suit......no matter what card you pick.....it vanishes.....as the remaining picture cards are shown  on the final screen...ie.....every card on the first  screen is simply replaced with similar cards

An article in an official army periodical is being ridiculed for claiming that the Russian military has psychic abilities and has used them in wartime. The article makes big claims but outside Russian critics claim it’s all nonsense and that the article should never have appeared in a Russian military publication.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/a27046167/journal-claims-russian-troops-have-psychic-powers/

The article goes on to say:

Russian scientists are not letting Poroskov off the hook. The chairman of the commission to combat pseudoscience at the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Yevgeny Alexandrov, described the military’s alleged psychic abilities as an “invention” and essentially fake science. Alexandrov told RBC, “...all this is complete nonsense. No parapsychology exists at all, it’s a fairy tale. All the talk about the transfer of thought at a distance does not have a scientific basis, there is not a single such recorded case, it is simply impossible. This is a way to squeeze funds from the state budget.”

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/a27046167/journal-claims-russian-troops-have-psychic-powers/

As if there was any doubt.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

The article goes on to say:

As if there was any doubt.

"But, but, but... government coverup! Straw-man labeling! Skeptic! I don't trust what the government says, I only trust what I read online from literally any source! Unless it's the government! LOL you just got pwned you silly skeptic LOL ;)"

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

@moonman

@stereologist

When I use the word straw man.  What do I mean.

A straw man is a form of argument and an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent.

That happens a lot here. Skeptics love using this tool when they debate because it makes them look like they are the winner.   The thread is not about fake psychic or psychics that were later proven to be hoaxers or fakers.  Thats not what the thread is about.  Whenever one of you introduces an incident where a hoax was proven or not, that's text book straw man tactics.  That one example or instance becomes your pillar of saying all physics are hoaxes. Its all fake.  Its all rubbish. Etc, etc.  That question was never put forth.  You brought up Uri Geller.  I didn't.  Uri Geller has nothing to do with this article.

The crux of the article says Russia, individuals inside the military, etc had projects involving training of Russian soldiers.  Done. That's it.  It didn't say Uri Geller did.  You bought him up as your straw man.

....................giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent.

Are some psychics fakes?  of course they are.  Not all of them.

But that's what this posts is about

Mr. Straw Man.

This article is about govt's in this case Russia experiencing with the paranormal.

Saying there are kooks in every argument is not an argument. Its a broad brush.  

Its dismissiveness on steroids.  

Straw Man Process Flow

Person 1 makes claim Y.

Person 2 restates person 1’s claim (in a distorted way).

Person 2 attacks the distorted version of the claim.

Therefore, claim Y is false.

so you guys LOL

Edited by macqdor

2 hours ago, moonman said:

"But, but, but... government coverup! Straw-man labeling! Skeptic! I don't trust what the government says, I only trust what I read online from literally any source! Unless it's the government! LOL you just got pwned you silly skeptic LOL ;)"

Good thing you didn't label them as a career skeptic.

• The topic was locked