Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russian spy plane checks out secret US bases

UM-Bot

Isn't area 51 mostly underground & in warehouses? I don't think it matters. The US has alot more secret bases that are in places few know about. The US government uses area 51 as a decoy facility because it knows it has gained to much attention.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AllPossible said:

Isn't area 51 mostly underground & in warehouses? I don't think it matters. The US has alot more secret bases that are in places few know about. The US government uses area 51 as a decoy facility because it knows it has gained to much attention.

Since aerial photography started becoming more sophisticated circa WWII, governments have had to go underground with their most secret projects. That being said, it's no big secret that much of the research work being done at Area 51 was moved north to the Green River facility decades ago. I imagine one explanation for the continuing high security/secrecy at Area 51 is that it's an environmental nightmare. The levels of toxicity are so bad there that the federal government didn't even want to acknowledge it existed, because if they did, it would be on the EPA's radar. They were playing with some nasty stuff out there. Or so the stories go.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Calibeliever said:

Since aerial photography started becoming more sophisticated circa WWII, governments have had to go underground with their most secret projects. That being said, it's no big secret that much of the research work being done at Area 51 was moved north to the Green River facility decades ago. I imagine one explanation for the continuing high security/secrecy at Area 51 is that it's an environmental nightmare. The levels of toxicity are so bad there that the federal government didn't even want to acknowledge it existed, because if they did, it would be on the EPA's radar. They were playing with some nasty stuff out there. Or so the stories go.

Wow I actually never thought about the environmental part. I wonder what they were playing with... I know the atom bomb testing probably left some radioactive fallout in Nevada. You think bio warfare testing?

Edited by AllPossible

There was a documentary on Area 51 and a former employee there claimed he got COPD from burning chemicals on the site.

He was a non-smoker and the doctor told him he had the lungs of someone smoking 4 packs of cigarettes a day.

• Like 1

Speaking as someone who lived through the cold war, this permitted mutual inspection of the entire territories of the United States and Russia, each by the other, seems remarkably cordial. Sensible, too, as it serves to lessen tensions, and build trust between the two nations. 

I figured with satellite technology being what it is, it is pretty pointless to stop fly overs.  This way they can score relationship points.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

I figured with satellite technology being what it is, it is pretty pointless to stop fly overs.  This way they can score relationship points.

You may be right, this may be more of a gesture on both nation's part more than anything else. Although, satellites do have the disadvantage of being very predictable in their surveillance paths. It costs fuel to adjust a satellite orbit so most of the time they maintain their orbits and can be predicted weeks in advance. I don't know, I'm making stuff up here I think.

4 hours ago, Calibeliever said:

You may be right, this may be more of a gesture on both nation's part more than anything else. Although, satellites do have the disadvantage of being very predictable in their surveillance paths. It costs fuel to adjust a satellite orbit so most of the time they maintain their orbits and can be predicted weeks in advance. I don't know, I'm making stuff up here I think.

No, I think you are spot on there.

Regarding environmental concerns, we had a similar thing at the air base where I work. A new multi-million dollar facility was going to be built. It was originally planned to be on the same side of the airfield as everyone else but when site surveys were done, it was discovered that the soil was quite contaminated. No hazard to us as it is, but if they started digging it up, etc - and we are talking about a major new facility here - then the remediation costs would have been enormous. It was better to build on the other side of the airfield where there were no contaminants.

BTW - these contaminants are not anything special nor from some clandestine activity; instead, this has been a military airfield since WW2 and in those days (and up until the 70s) you just dug a small pit to get rid of stuff, poured excess fuel on the ground, etc.

• Like 1

On 04/04/2019 at 8:52 PM, Calibeliever said:

read the 4th or 5th sentence on below.....ruskie satellites HAVE flown over area 51

http://www.dreamlandresort.com/area51/lvj_04_18_00.html

open skies agreement

The latest issue with the Open Skies Treaty came to light earlier this week, with Russian officials saying the U.S. has refused to clear its planes for overflight of U.S. territory. Under the treaty, 34 countries, including both the U.S. and Russia, agree to allow unarmed surveillance flights over their territory to provide information gathering about military forces.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2018/09/14/us-russia-remain-at-impasse-over-nuclear-treaty-flights/

Edited by marsman

17 hours ago, marsman said:

read the 4th or 5th sentence on below.....ruskie satellites HAVE flown over area 51

http://www.dreamlandresort.com/area51/lvj_04_18_00.html

No doubt true, and for decades. My only point was they are fairly easy to track and can only see what's sitting out in the open. If I know you're coming to take pictures on Wednesday I can make sure the house is clean by Tuesday night :) Though possible, it's expensive to make a surprise visit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Calibeliever said:

No doubt true, and for decades. My only point was they are fairly easy to track and can only see what's sitting out in the open. If I know you're coming to take pictures on Wednesday I can make sure the house is clean by Tuesday night :) Though possible, it's expensive to make a surprise visit.

That's also what I was agreeing with: orbital changes are very expensive in terms of propellant.

On 4/5/2019 at 1:27 AM, Calibeliever said:

Well, aliens do have acid for blood you know.

1 hour ago, Black Red Devil said:

Well, aliens do have acid for blood you know.

Just the Xenomorphs. The Greys, Reptilians and Nordics have physiology remarkably similar to ours.