Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient advanced weapon tech theory debunked

Still Waters

If your bathroom faucets look like shiny silver, they’re likely chrome plated. Experiments with this anti-rust technology began in Europe in the 19th century. Yet for 40 years, an alternate theory has circulated in scholarly circles and the popularmedia: Chrome plating was invented in the third century B.C in China and used to prevent the bronze weapons buried with the Terracotta Army in Emperor Qin’s tombfrom corroding. The claim is even on a plaque at the site’s museum in Xi’an.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/2019/04/ancient-terracotta-warrior-chrome-weapon-theory-debunked/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I love the word "debunked". It is like a light that chases the shadows away, and draws a line between the outrageous and sense & reason.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

I love the word "debunked". It is like a light that chases the shadows away, and draws a line between the outrageous and sense & reason.

The Chinese always believed it was a combination of the lacquer or the superior metallurgy. Chinese bronze swords and spears were patterned welded from precast bars with different copper, arsenic and tin contents. Not cast outright like the ones in Europe.  High tin bars for the edges. Low tin for the spines. That fact that they were forged also knocked the oxides out. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Piney said:

That fact that they were forged also knocked the oxides out. 

Still true today, even in the titanium aerospace industry where I work.  A forging can beat the tensile, fatigue, and elongation properties of most castings by at least a little bit.  The secret of casting success is cost.  A designer can add 5% material to compensate for the cheaper casting and still be safe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Still true today, even in the titanium aerospace industry where I work.  A forging can beat the tensile, fatigue, and elongation properties of most castings by at least a little bit.  The secret of casting success is cost.  A designer can add 5% material to compensate for the cheaper casting and still be safe.

I don't have to clean my pattern welded swords from Songshan as often as the "wall hangers" from Europe. Even my good Kukri which was forged from the leaf spring of a old British Army truck gets rusty if I ignore it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Piney said:

I don't have to clean my pattern welded swords from Songshan as often as the "wall hangers" from Europe. Even my good Kukri which was forged from the leaf spring of a old British Army truck gets rusty if I ignore it.  

I still have my two Kukri's I was presented with by Colonel Khadka, as good as the day I got them unlike some of my knife collection, the old AK47 bayonet that doubles up has a wire cutter is still in perfect condition and cuts through wires like a hot knife through butter even today. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

I still have my two Kukri's I was presented with by Colonel Khadka, as good as the day I got them unlike some of my knife collection, the old AK47 bayonet that doubles up has a wire cutter is still in perfect condition and cuts through wires like a hot knife through butter even today. 

Ru just found my 2 custom Cold Steel ones from the 90s. Remember those cleavers? I'm thinking about starting a thread. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

Ru just found my 2 custom Cold Steel ones from the 90s. Remember those cleavers? I'm thinking about starting a thread. 

I would love a thread, you now how much I love my knives, work ones and collection but given the present situation in the UK with Knifes and all the knife crimes, I think it would go downhill or be badly timed, you and I have a passion for the blade for the right reasons but sadly London gangs have a different idea. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

I would love a thread, you now how much I love my knives, work ones and collection but given the present situation in the UK with Knifes and all the knife crimes, I think it would go downhill or be badly timed, you and I have a passion for the blade for the right reasons but sadly London gangs have a different idea. 

If half my stuff wasn't in the Colonel's dojo and my good blades with the Family Altar, they would of been gone with everything else.

I miss my grandfather's tomahawks and knives though. :(

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

It could be a very good thread.  Blades are foremost a tool, an advantage, and a power.  Blades are also beautiful, whether napped out of flint or made from an exotic steel.   People have put their souls into blades as much for metaphor as for what they can do. 

The dearest that I have hung onto is a rather mundane kitchen, utility  knife my father-in-law made in a logging camp half a century ago.  The steel came from a two handed falling saw he and a partner got stuck in a tree that split back toward them. They survived but the saw didn't when the tree rolled off the side of the stump..  The handle may be wood from  the cross cut saw handle.  It is held together by what look like carriage bolts files square and peined.  It was shaped on a camp forge, you can detect pein marks on the back of the blade but the edge is clean and sharp. To me it says Harold, and I remember him when I use it.  How much better could a knife be?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

It could be a very good thread.  Blades are foremost a tool, an advantage, and a power.  Blades are also beautiful, whether napped out of flint or made from an exotic steel.   People have put their souls into blades as much for metaphor as for what they can do. 

The dearest that I have hung onto is a rather mundane kitchen, utility  knife my father-in-law made in a logging camp half a century ago.  The steel came from a two handed falling saw he and a partner got stuck in a tree that split back toward them. They survived but the saw didn't when the tree rolled off the side of the stump..  The handle may be wood from  the cross cut saw handle.  It is held together by what look like carriage bolts files square and peined.  It was shaped on a camp forge, you can detect pein marks on the back of the blade but the edge is clean and sharp. To me it says Harold, and I remember him when I use it.  How much better could a knife be?

Beautiful story, I have a story for each of my knives, they mean so much to me. I agree the thread would be great as long has it is taken out by those that only see them as a weapon. Lets get a thread opened with the approval of the @Saru 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Beautiful story, I have a story for each of my knives, they mean so much to me. I agree the thread would be great as long has it is taken out by those that only see them as a weapon. Lets get a thread opened with the approval of the @Saru 

I'd be very interested to listen and become informed.  I've read of a Kukri and couldn't imagine wielding something like that effectively without a LOT of practice.  It sounded wicked, though.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, and then said:

I'd be very interested to listen and become informed.  I've read of a Kukri and couldn't imagine wielding something like that effectively without a LOT of practice.  It sounded wicked, though.  

It is a wonderful tool, mine were hand made and presented to me in a ceremony, they are very similar to a machete with the inward curve of the blade and can be used as such for chopping and can also be used as a utility knife. There are also two smaller knives attached to the Kukri sheath, the Karda and the Chackmak...  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, and then said:

@Iilaa'mpuul'xem and I were never without one. 

I was thinking about making a few videos in June with the Goobers while I teach them. 

• Thanks 1