Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFO sightings

Abilityperson

you know perhaps im missing the boat with many of these UFO, bigfoot, ghosts hunters etc the ones producing so much ahem, crap.

perhaps even though its not stamped "fiction" they expect the viewer to take it like um, say pro wrestling, for entertainment nothing more and like with wrestling some think its real.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Alien Origins said:

Thanks for posting another point of view. I do find her comments a bit odd. She does an appeal to authority in which she points out that Oberg, who occasionally posts here, is a member of CSICOP, now CSI. She also gets the aim of the group quite wrong. She says this about CSICOP.

a group whose aim is to debunk UFOs and any other unexplained phenomena that challenge our familiar ways of thinking.

The aim is to investigate phenomena and see if there is an explanation. Sometimes there isn't and that is what they state. That happens when there isn't enough information to make a determination.

I believe that she produces a rather bad non sequitur with this statement:

He may be qualified to serve as an unbiased, expert consultant on Russian or Chinese missile systems, but not on UFOs.

She gives no reason for that other than he writes a lot and she doesn't like his conclusions.

She makes this statement which is a fallacy.

However, such solved sightings — whether made by pilots or anyone else — have absolutely nothing to do with the cases presented in my book.

It has everything to do with her book. Her book includes the Chilean UFO that was observer by pilots that turned out to be a commercial airliner on a scheduled arrival descending to the airport in Santiago. SHe would like to make an appeal to authority that pilots are better observers. Oberg objects that may not be the case.

The simple fact is that Kean has supported many mistakes and many hoaxes and has not admitted being mistaken or hoodwinked. She still pushes the mundane Phoenix Lights.

Here is a fallacy she wrote

In 1986, three Japan Airlines pilots watched a series of UFOs for 30 minutes, communicating with air traffic control while radar operators picked up the objects in corresponding locations.

Only the pilot saw the UFO although there were 2 copilots aboard the JAL flight. A nearby flight saw nothing.

There are plenty of reasons not to trust what Kean states.

• Like 2

As an addition to the complaints about Kean, the photo of the black triangle at the end of the article is a hoax photo.

It is a triangle of black foam with flashlights stuck in it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, the13bats said:

the list of kean backed hoaxes isnt short.

ironic kean thinks she is special enough to judge who is or isnt of merit to research ufo reports and judge them negatively when find her book tripe but if they agree with her then they are ok,

i recall seeing her on a documentary saying something to the effect she doesnt look for ufos she looks for explanations yet all her conclusions seem to end with, it must be ET.

seems another ufo book written for attention and ego and possible $$$

Well I have to admit I don't know that much about her work..I got her book from the local library but never got around to reading it before I had to take it back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alien Origins said:

Well I have to admit I don't know that much about her work..I got her book from the local library but never got around to reading it before I had to take it back.

i dont necessarily believe shes a bad person or trying to spread bs, shes no different than people on this forum who still believe well debunked hoaxes, she did write a book about it so thats where she leaves the forum jockeys,

she likely should have done better unbiaed research but if she still feels a known hoax is real then not much i can do to defend her further.

• Like 1

My friend used to live next to a lake near Dallas.  His house was at the back of the development and he had a gate going down to the lake.  He is an RC nut and got a new helicopter.  He put LED lights on it and took it down to the lake to fly it one night and after about 30 minutes a cop showed up and stood next to him watching him fly the helicopter.   After a few minutes the cop said "Your neighbors have called in a report of a UFO."

Perspective is key. The things I have seen in the night sky that are not airplanes or RC devices or drones or helicopters are still unknown to me.  Some stuff I have seen resembles other reports, some shows up on radar, some does not.  I am sure that most of it could be explained if I found the right person but some of it I know is military and some of it is unexplainable with the current knowledge that the majority of us have.  To say that an unidentified flying object is aliens from outer space even if it is unexplained is lazy thinking.  I am not one to say it is impossible that aliens from outer space are visiting us, but I also don't ascribe to labeling the unknown.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

My friend used to live next to a lake near Dallas.  His house was at the back of the development and he had a gate going down to the lake.  He is an RC nut and got a new helicopter.  He put LED lights on it and took it down to the lake to fly it one night and after about 30 minutes a cop showed up and stood next to him watching him fly the helicopter.   After a few minutes the cop said "Your neighbors have called in a report of a UFO."

Perspective is key. The things I have seen in the night sky that are not airplanes or RC devices or drones or helicopters are still unknown to me.  Some stuff I have seen resembles other reports, some shows up on radar, some does not.  I am sure that most of it could be explained if I found the right person but some of it I know is military and some of it is unexplainable with the current knowledge that the majority of us have.  To say that an unidentified flying object is aliens from outer space even if it is unexplained is lazy thinking.  I am not one to say it is impossible that aliens from outer space are visiting us, but I also don't ascribe to labeling the unknown.

Neil Degrasse Tyson ascribes to it as argument from ignorance...He also talked about a police officer that was following a bright object in the sky...Officer claimed it was moving back and forth...Here's the kicker...The object was not moving at all! He was driving on a curved road! And the object he was following was Venus! All those curves and he thought Venus was the one moving the whole time! Point being that even with all the known objects in the sky even the ones we know of can become a UFO to the untrained eye.

Edited by Alien Origins
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

Neil Degrasse Tyson ascribes to it as argument from ignorance...He also talked about a police officer that was following a bright object in the sky...Officer claimed it was moving back and forth...Here's the kicker...The object was not moving at all! He was driving on a curved road! And the object he was following was Venus! All those curves and he thought Venus was the one moving the whole time! Point being that even with all the known objects in the sky even the ones we know of can become a UFO to the untrained eye.

Yeah, I forgot to  mention stars.  I have seen things that looked like stars, seeming to be stationary at first, then zip around the sky, joined by other "stars" to form geometric formations.  Not airplanes or any other known aerial phenomena, unexplained, though I have looked for an explanation.  That is just one type of unexplained thing I have seen.

• Like 1