Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

All Native American Indians name for B.F

Abilityperson

9 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Why does everyone want to be Cherokee?

For the record, I am not and never have been a Cherokee. 

Well, except once.  And I beat them cowboys too!   But I was 8 at the time,

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Abilityperson said:

So much about bigfoot, yet alot don't believe in him. Found a list of Native American Indians all the tribes and the name for them even my bloodline Cherokee.

https://www.nativevillage.org/Messages from the People/native_american_bigfoot_names_so.htm

I'm not sure how they compiled the information, but none of those are "Bigfoot."  Some are giants, but many (the Owl Woman) aren't.  Iktomi isn't a giant and isn't Bigfoot (though he is a trickster and hangs out with or interacts with Coyote.)  "Skookum" doesn't mean "evil god of the woods" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skookum#Monsters ... Soyoko is not Bigfoot, it's an ogre kachina that acts as a deterrent to misbehaving kids.

In short, they apparently took the names of various antagonistic spirits and/or giants and said "Bigfoot!"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Why does everyone want to be Cherokee?

Because they're the cool kids!

(DNA shows I have about 2% Native American ancestry, which ties with genealogy and family stories (an ancestor rode up to a group of settlers and joined them.  He was given an English name, married, and blended in with the rest of the folks.  He became a farmer.  Family legend says he was Cherokee, though Blackfoot might be more likely.)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

Iktomi isn't a giant and isn't Bigfoot (though he is a trickster and hangs out with or interacts with Coyote.) 

Iiktuumi is a spider. Usually he's torturing Coyote. 

23 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

Soyoko is not Bigfoot, it's an ogre kachina that acts as a deterrent to misbehaving kids.

He was the first Skinwalker. 

I didn't look at the list. I was too shocked the OP didn't see the half a dozen threads already here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

didn't you say that your husband and his family are Arab Christians..

No...

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Michelle said:

No...

I don't know where he got that from. It gave me a giggle though. :lol:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

I don't know where he got that from. It gave me a giggle though. :lol:

Some people have a more difficult time retaining information than others...even though he asked me directly. If I care enough to ask I will remember. :tu:

He's more than Elizabeth Warren anyway. :w00t:

Edited by Michelle
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Iiktuumi is a spider. Usually he's torturing Coyote. 

He was the first Skinwalker. 

I didn't look at the list. I was too shocked the OP didn't see the half a dozen threads already here.

I'd forgotten about Iktomi being a spider... but, yeah.  I knew only a handful of names on the list, and was rather annoyed to see how the original names of the ones I knew were being mistranslated.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kenemet said:

I'd forgotten about Iktomi being a spider... but, yeah.  I knew only a handful of names on the list, and was rather annoyed to see how the original names of the ones I knew were being mistranslated.

Iiyaa was the Lakota "Bigfoot" but he was described as a hairy cannibal. More like a Windiigo who needed a shave.

I have to look through that website. 

• Like 2

Don't mention Lakota to @Piney 

I have indigenous blood, I am a Cherokee Chief and Texas Ranger on the side. I am also starting my own Tribe, Piney and I know where the others went wrong and learnt from their mistakes, therefore I can do this with the aid of crowd funding, a Teepee, longer hair, bow and arrow, tomahawk, sweat lodge for me and the ladies to share and my smudge sticks... but we won't eat our dogs or our horses. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Anyway, show me your evidence that demonstrates that these Indian identifications are "utter nonsense".   I await anxiously

read post 28..very well said.

eot,

dont trollio my words around i never said Indian anything was utter nonsence i said and stand behind you are full of utter nonsense, and i refuse to fed your trolling any further.

Edited by the13bats

8 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

blood, I am a Cherokee Chief and Texas Ranger on the side. I am also starting my own Tribe, Piney and I know where the others went wrong and learnt from their mistakes, therefore I can do this

Well don't forget a to build a giant ... ? what they call it.. oh temple a super temple teepee like in that Utah state.  Oh you have to have satellite TV too for songs and ceremony.

Edited by MWoo7
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, MWoo7 said:

Well don't forget a to build a giant ... what they call it.. OH TEMPLE  a super temple TEEPEE like in that UTAH state.   Oh you have to have satellite TV too for ceremony.

Damn... I forgot the TV satellite... Thanks. 

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

but we won't eat our dogs or our horses. 

Maybe you won't eat your horses but don't include me. :o

• Haha 2

Looking through the list of names for bigfoot by natives. Seems that some tribes see him as good and others as bad.

31 minutes ago, Hawken said:

Looking through the list of names for bigfoot by natives. Seems that some tribes see him as good and others as bad.

Many of those beings aren't described as "Bigfoot type". Whoever made that list didn't check the legends. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Abilityperson said:

So much about bigfoot, yet alot don't believe in him. Found a list of Native American Indians all the tribes and the name for them even my bloodline Cherokee.

https://www.nativevillage.org/Messages from the People/native_american_bigfoot_names_so.htm

Some of those are funny. "Otter man" would really leave little room or interpretation, that's a bigfoot for sure lol.

Being a westerner, I prefer the modern western descriptive term for bigfoot...ie. "fantasy".

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Piney said:

I actually have a Cherokee great granny, as for my great great grandpa; no clue what tribe he was. But you know what I look like Piney, you can be the judge.:tu:

As for my mom's side, no clue. I'm a mutt.:lol:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

But you know what I look like Piney, you can be the judge.:tu:

Riddick minus the googles.  :yes:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Riddick minus the googles.  :yes:

You and Sheri both...think I look like Vin Diesel.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You and Sheri both...think I look like Vin Diesel.

:lol:

So I did a little checking on this list, and it seems that it comes from a common source that's "around on the Internet" and passed off as being authentic.  The original compiler was an "armchair Internet researcher" and apparently just googled for Native American monsters and giants, picking up names without checking the source of the name or the source of the translation or even reading the description.

Native American beliefs are complex and diverse.  Stories may be "teaching stories" or "sacred stories" or "entertainment/joke stories" or have several purposes (and similar stories may have different functions in different tribes.) 

There was no attempt to understand the stories.

To an anthropologist, it's the sort of annoying practice that we see everywhere -- taking material from a culture and interpreting it to suit our needs or beliefs rather than asking "what does this really mean to the people with the stories?"

I wish it could be removed from the Internet, but alas, it's going to stick around because of the Bigfoot fan base.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Kenemet said:

I wish it could be removed from the Internet, but alas, it's going to stick around because of the Bigfoot fan base.

I agree!  

The other articles on the site are mostly legit but I think it's owned by a non-Indian because of all the Leonard Peltier trash.  Most of us agree he nothing more than a murderer. 

It's also linked to a Alaskan Native's page who claims she interacts with the Maori ( which my grandfather was the first to do) but there is no mention of the interdenominational traditional indigenous group that he founded and I don't remember her, so I think she does that on her own.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Horta said:

Some of those are funny. "Otter man" would really leave little room or interpretation, that's a bigfoot for sure lol.

Being a westerner, I prefer the modern western descriptive term for bigfoot...ie. "fantasy".

Or my personal favorite "misidentified bear"

• Haha 1