Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Couple terrified by UFO encounter in Auckland

In all this time, it never occurred to them to pull out their phone from their pockets and take at least 1 pic?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, stance said:

In all this time, it never occurred to them to pull out their phone from their pockets and take at least 1 pic?

If the objects were only a point source of light a photo would provide little extra information, except that something was there, it would also be an easy image to fake. So might not even show that, as a fact.   

Let us be REAL. They could shoot a hundred pictures with several phones and cameras and the response would be about the same. Those that believe, will believe, and those that don't are never going to believe anything until they are the ones that see something undeniable in person.

Edited by DanL
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DanL said:

Let us be REAL. They could shoot a hundred pictures with several phones and cameras and the response would be about the same. Those that believe, will believe, and those that don't are never going to believe anything until they are the ones that see something undeniable in person.

that not entirely true.

many times pictures do prove things to be prosiac and a simple case of unknown to to witness at the time.

i do find it super odd that they didnt take even one pic just as a normal human reaction to such an alleged event, of course a point of light in the sky only proves its a point of light a person could believe its an ET craft, tinkerbell or green lanturn etc and not one is more validated than the next.

many years back my friend who died was dropping me off and we were standing in my yard shooting the breeze  i noticed and pointed out what i first thought was fireworks, several objects of a cool red orange tracking across the sky, a cell phone would have gotten something but this was long before cell phones.

i learned the next day it was labeled space junk, it was on fire, and i can buy that explanation,, so im good with space junk its far more probable than ET here on a visit, but a true believer with call me stupid and in denial.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

If the objects were only a point source of light a photo would provide little extra information, except that something was there, it would also be an easy image to fake. So might not even show that, as a fact.   

Maybe, but there have been quite a few occasions where a picture and a direction/location have given enough information to point at something mundane.  In this case the claim is the objects got to within a few hundred metres 'directly in front of us' and they had about 2 minutes to watch.... so golly gee, you'd have to say it's a bit of shame they didn't even try....

BTW, maybe it's just the media report, but it self contradicts on some aspects, like the sequence of events and how many there were..

I suspect mind alteration from one or more of the usual suspects may have been involved..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Venus shining through swamp gas ? :lol:

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Habitat said:

Venus shining through swamp gas ? :lol:

Oh how we laughed hysterically - that one sure doesn't get old.

Post it again and again, Hab.  It's one of your most valuable contributions...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Oh how we laughed hysterically - that one sure doesn't get old.

Post it again and again, Hab.  It's one of your most valuable contributions...

Nah, you are far more the comedian than myself, albeit  usually inadvertently !

6 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

If the objects were only a point source of light a photo would provide little extra information, except that something was there,

you do not know for a fact that something was really there to start with! it's nothing more than a story= the usual boring crap..

seen BS like this a thousand times before--very boring boring boring zzzzzzzzzzzzz  :sleepy:

• Thanks 1

After saying they didn't take any pictures, this has appeared. It's definitely taken at the location they say it happened.

Although I don't know about the lights, I think I'd be more alarmed about the giant shark.

image.jpeg.6f9bbeaa3a137aec5a85d2cd0ed62204.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

''An unidentified flying object (UFO) is an object observed in the sky that is not readily identified''

Firstly, by definition, UFO doesn't mean it's extraterrestrial.

Secondly, trying to figure out what it is before claiming eyes shot that's ET is just common sense and not a belief thing.

Third, no proof at all presented... my kids make up story about monsters without proof too and never been eaten by them.

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

I suspect mind alteration from one or more of the usual suspects may have been involved..

Quite possibly, given the circumstances ;) Although I think the original witness report cannot be rejected due to the lack of photographic evidence.   

8 hours ago, Dejarma said:

you do not know for a fact that something was really there to start with! it's nothing more than a story= the usual boring crap..

seen BS like this a thousand times before--very boring boring boring zzzzzzzzzzzzz  :sleepy:

Only the original witnesses will know what happened. Whether it rates as boring or not is down to the individual but if you prejudge similar material then you are guaranteed to reach the same conclusion. ;)

12 hours ago, DanL said:

You speak the truth. I fall into the camp of unbelief & read this mostly for entertainment, but I totally agree with your opinion in this matter.

I once was a disbeliever too. then something bigger than any airplane that I had ever heard of flew over me only a hundred feet up. It was huge totally silent and able to move at a pace hardly above the speed that a person might be able to run and then in an instant turn and leave at an insane speed.  I think that it was the silence that got to me the most. When it buzzed off it was MOVING. There should have been sound even if it was only the air being pushed aside. It moved as fast as the fighter planes that I have seen and didn't make a whisper.

I have never offered aliens as the answer, but I also have not written that off. Nothing that I can imagine could move like that. All that I have is questions. I have no doubt that some are going to call me a liar and such but my big question is what are hundreds of thousands of people seeing OR what kind of mass psychosis makes people either hallucinate these things or make up these stories.  ???????  Questions and strangely to me is that the majority of people seem to have no interest in a serious search for answers. That in itself isn't a logical or a sane response to the situation.  For centuries people were SURE that the world was flat. Where would we be if they had handled that the same way people deal with UFOs? If it is a mass delusion I am as interested in that as I would be if it was ET coming for a visit. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, DanL said:

I once was a disbeliever too. then something bigger than any airplane that I had ever heard of flew over me only a hundred feet up. It was huge totally silent and able to move at a pace hardly above the speed that a person might be able to run and then in an instant turn and leave at an insane speed.  I think that it was the silence that got to me the most. When it buzzed off it was MOVING. There should have been sound even if it was only the air being pushed aside. It moved as fast as the fighter planes that I have seen and didn't make a whisper.

I have never offered aliens as the answer, but I also have not written that off. Nothing that I can imagine could move like that. All that I have is questions. I have no doubt that some are going to call me a liar and such but my big question is what are hundreds of thousands of people seeing OR what kind of mass psychosis makes people either hallucinate these things or make up these stories.  ???????  Questions and strangely to me is that the majority of people seem to have no interest in a serious search for answers. That in itself isn't a logical or a sane response to the situation.  For centuries people were SURE that the world was flat. Where would we be if they had handled that the same way people deal with UFOs? If it is a mass delusion I am as interested in that as I would be if it was ET coming for a visit. 

Thank you for sharing your story alot have witnessed U.F.O's think they would rather not speak of it because of the back lash. But for you to say you were a non believer who now believes, well that speaks volumes.

there are delusions even some in mass but it doesnt make seeing something unidentified automatically otherwordly, paranormal or ET.

ive posted many times i see things almost daily i cant explain but just because i see an object or light in the sky i cant identify means its not prosaic,  there are way too many other possiblities far more likely for me to jump that it must be ET.

• Confused 1

many years back early 80s i was about 17 perhaps 18 and there was at the time a little strip of back road that connected sanford to a road that could get you to New Smyrna Beach,

i liked to drive that road late when it was dead out,  one night it was extra dark and way out was an odd green glow it appeared like a ball floating about maybe 10 feet in the air, as i got closer it seemed to be moving away from me and the weird green glow seemed hard to focus on, i got nervious and slowed down and then thought wth and hit the gas as i got closer and closer it seemed to get lower and i pulled over about 50 feet before it.

i turned on my flashers and high beams i walked over to it watching for the outside chance of another car and the real chance of a bear coming up,

i saw an odd green glowing stick, it dawned on me this is one of those glow sticks ive heard of, i tossed it in the passenger seat and keep it for several years, now they are super common but back then i had never seen one before.

I am a night person and always have been. For many years I worked the night shift in a shipyard. The sighting that I had was between midnight and 1 AM when I was on my way home. I still see sunrise more often at the end of my day than as a beginning. I like to walk at night and am somewhat of a stargazer. I have seen lots of bright lights in the sky. 90% of them I can identify. For the first hour after sunset airplanes can make for interesting UFOs if you don't know what you are seeing. they are up and still in the sunlight and can be amazingly bright and depending on the angle not moving much. Planets, when they are in conjunction, make for a rather notable sighting. I remember a few years ago when Mars, Jupiter, and Saturnall lined up together and at the same time were about as near to us as possible. It was beautiful. every year at some point we are close to Mars and it is notably something different in the night sky. 

I have actually seen swamp gas. I was raised in a place with lots of swamps. I love watching the various annual meteor showers and have seen two meteorites that actually were close enough to make a very hearable noise. Over the years have lived in places where both civilian and military airplanes were common. You can't imagine what it was like to be under the flight line of a SAC base when they scrambled and paid no attention to breaking the sound barrier!!!

My point is that I am extremely familiar with the night sky and the various common lights that are of simple, explainable sources. I am usually carrying binoculars at least or set up with a small telescope. I wish that I had one of today's smartphones back then. I don't really usually consider lights in the sky as UFOs even when they don't fit any of my known sightings. that said, I have seen some lights moving in ways that defy commonly understood physics. When something just suddenly STOPS in the sky that was moving fast I don't have a clue what can do that. the same for fast moving lights that make sudden 90 degree turns with no loss of apparent speed.

All that I have are questions. My biggest question though is why the powers that be only offer insanely stupid explanations for these things when a lot of people see something that can't be denied.  When you and several hundred people watch something fly back and forth across the sky and then see military planes show up in pursuit, trying to say that it was a meteorite is just stupid! Meteors don't go back and forth. they are straight line occurrences. More questions and the best anyone can come up with is that what we are saying that we are seeing is all lies, hallucinations, stars, planets, lightning bugs, or simple airplanes that people at to stupid to identify correctly.

• Like 2

l always say im not a real skeptic as im open for proof but what i deem is proof is a bit more than a true believers anecdote, "i saw something in the sky, it acted oddly i dont know what it is, so it must be an exterrestrial space craft"...thats not proof for me.

I can not come to that same absolute conclusion starting with "i dont know" and a true believer, some will attack me with name calling over that, 

When you and several hundred people watch something fly back and forth across the sky and then see military planes show up in pursuit, trying to say that it was a meteorite is just stupid!

several hundred? then we should have at least one video...do we? if that answer is no, im the bad guy for even asking, how dare i doubt 100s of witnesses, not so fast,

i didnt hear this anecdote from 100s i heard it from one source, wheres it documented? and if they dont have a video its a case of do i believe their story at face value, its not about belief.

now if they do have a video it should show something clearly not military planes being pursued by something that is clearly military planes, not blurry out of focus dots in the sky,

blurry out of focus lights are not evidence  sorry.

Oh, i was a disbeliever i saw something i couldnt explain so now i believe, in what? alien craft or just unexplained phenomenon? big difference.

one thing for sure if i had some epic encounter, not the encounters i have basically daily where i see by definition UFOs  something in the sky that i dont know what it is but i do not make a silly jump to it must be ET.

No, if i saw some huge object or planes chasing craft etc i sure would research it for collaboration, i wouldn't give up easy, i sure wouldnt care any who believed me i wouldnt get butthurt from it and toss names and insults at people asking what more do you have? its not there fault if you dont have anything but a story and my belief.

it might drive my OCD through the roof but if i walked outside and saw an epic event my belief would be good enough for me as im not ego driven, i wouldn't be mad at those who asked me for more before they shared my belief, in fact i wouldnt care about getting others to believe me i would be too busy fact finding.

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

several hundred? then we should have at least one video...do we? if that answer is no, im the bad guy for even asking, how dare i doubt 100s of witnesses, not so fast,

And may I add to this - there are lots and lots of astronomers out there, amateur and professional.  Many run sky cams continuously, there are webcams, dashcams and securitycams almost everywhere.  If these things are actually happening, it seems 'odd' that the increasing numbers of folks with the best equipment and thus the best chance of catching these events, are NOT seeing them.

Plus, how many times do we investigate the claim of hundreds or thousands of witnesses, only to find it is enormously exaggerated, and also that the story gets out and these reports are from much later - either people misremembering, or simply people go outside to look up and do see something *they* don't recognise and then exaggerate the bejeebers out of it...

Which all seems to me to invoke the obvious explanation, which is not that the imagined aliens have camera detection devices... it's that those who are the most familiar with the sky and that do capture such 'seeming' events, identify what caused it as NOT alien...

There'll always be someone with more experience at skywatching, no matter how good you claim you are, and there'll always be something new.  As an example a relatively nearby drone can do remarkable maneuvers and apparent stop/starts.  A relatively common effect is that you can be watching a high flying plane or satellite that just happens to hit the earth's shadow at the moment it is near to a bright star or planet (or another satellite/plane going the other way), and you might have blinked at exactly the wrong moment so you think the two objects are the the same thing...  It's happened to me.

As another example, I call myself a pretty knowledgeable skywatcher but I recently saw (sadly too quick to capture) an effect I've never seen before or since.  T'was about a year back and it turned out to be the Moon shining through a tiny gap in a high level cloud layer that was moving quite rapidly, and the beam then hit a lower level layer of cloud.  The effect stopped me in my tracks - looked a bit like an aircraft spotlight but way too bright, and rapidly changing angle.  Interestingly, I had a camera nearby but had no way to grab it before the effect vanished.  It took me a few moments watching the cloud and spotting the moon dodging in and out of the clouds to work it out..

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

that was how i felt the first huge black ring i saw in the sky while working halloween horror nights at universal, it was stunning but not ET.

the cameras everywhere is wonderful for us desiring proof not that they provide it, i recall Colin Andrews he was the big name in crop circles, seems his group went defunct from lack of funds, in documentaries i would always see him in the field with his crew and most all wearing great cameras around their necks, fingers on the trigger so to speak never a picture or video of a circle being formed, seemed so odd to me.

then the Oliver Castle video made by John Wabe of the First Cut Studio, the video showed orbs forming a crop circle, it was hailed for a spell, to me it looked fake, animated or cgi,

maccabee and andrews both did analisis and both came up with hoax, then wabe shows how he and his shop made it even had video of him making it and just like Mike Agrusa with the gable dogman film, the dear true believers so very butthurt they fell for a ruse went nuts screaming and trying really hard to prove these were cover ups...never answering the real question, why would any one waste time and money to cover up one events piece of alleged evidence after its already out there.

my real point is even if a show some people 4 apples in a row they just have to say no, its 3 or 5.

i find zero insulting or wrong with asking for more when a person tells a story and i dont really know why most get so mad when not taken at face value.

• Like 2

In 1978 videos didn't even EXIST!! That particular sighting happens one night and I found out about it when the local TV station ran a thing across the bottom of the TV screen that it was happening. I went outside and along with countless others watched this bright light go back and forth over the city. Then a couple of fighter jets from a base in Louisianna showed up. They were burning their afterburners and in hot pursuit but just couldn't close with the bright lights. Eventually, the bright light increased its speed and in seconds was out of sight. The next day in the newspaper and on the 6 O'clock new they reported that the military identified the object as a meteorite and denied that there was any military aircraft even in the air that night. I don't claim to have any idea what the bright light was but I KNOW it wasn't a meteorite and that there were military aircraft up that night. Civilian aircraft don't have afterburners. 

If it makes you happy to say that I'm just a demented liar then do what you have to do to feel safe....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1