Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Couple terrified by UFO encounter in Auckland

3 hours ago, DanL said:

In 1978 videos didn't even EXIST!!

Let's be accurate here... yes they did.  Agreed, not that many folks had them, but they had been around a couple of years.  And movie cameras (film) were reasonably popular.

That particular sighting happens one night and I found out about it when the local TV station ran a thing across the bottom of the TV screen that it was happening. I went outside and along with countless others watched this bright light go back and forth over the city.

Just like an aeroplane.  Or several different ones.  If they were taking a path that was unusual, then of course excitable hoomans (who then and now, mostly never look up outdoors) are indeed going to claim UFO's being driven by aliens or similar - it's a completely victimless, harmless bit of fun tio make such claims.  And of course our memories are designed to exaggerate and alter memories so they are more exciting.  I do it all the time - does that make me a demented liar, or just normal?

And you say countless people saw this, and the TV station knew about it before you started watching.... and yet no footage.  News reports?  Anything other than your memory?  Your description claims it was quite a long 'dogfight'.

Do you not see how things are not adding up?

Then a couple of fighter jets from a base in Louisianna showed up. They were burning their afterburners and in hot pursuit but just couldn't close with the bright lights. Eventually, the bright light increased its speed and in seconds was out of sight. The next day in the newspaper and on the 6 O'clock new they reported that the military identified the object as a meteorite and denied that there was any military aircraft even in the air that night.

Sounds like what they would say if they were doing experimental testing on a new design plane.

I don't claim to have any idea what the bright light was but I KNOW it wasn't a meteorite and that there were military aircraft up that night. Civilian aircraft don't have afterburners.

Why did you say that? - are you now conceding that the thing looked like an aircraft with an afterburner?

If it makes you happy to say that I'm just a demented liar then do what you have to do to feel safe....

If it makes you happy to portray others as bullying you when they use no such language as you just did, and when your story just doesn't seem at all consistent.... then do what you have to, to feel 'vindicated'.

DanL, you have described what sound like two different events in your posts - first up you referred to just one sighting where you were walking home one night at 12-1am (no claim of any other witnesses), then (I presume a different sighting occasion) you went outside after seeing a report on TV and countless others (but no news story links?) saw it...  You wonder why folks get confused, or doubt the accuracy of the claim?

To summarise - You are way too attached to your 'sighting' and do not understand how memories work.

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DanL said:

In 1978 videos didn't even EXIST!! That particular sighting happens one night and I found out about it when the local TV station ran a thing across the bottom of the TV screen that it was happening. I went outside and along with countless others watched this bright light go back and forth over the city. Then a couple of fighter jets from a base in Louisianna showed up. They were burning their afterburners and in hot pursuit but just couldn't close with the bright lights. Eventually, the bright light increased its speed and in seconds was out of sight. The next day in the newspaper and on the 6 O'clock new they reported that the military identified the object as a meteorite and denied that there was any military aircraft even in the air that night. I don't claim to have any idea what the bright light was but I KNOW it wasn't a meteorite and that there were military aircraft up that night. Civilian aircraft don't have afterburners. 

If it makes you happy to say that I'm just a demented liar then do what you have to do to feel safe....

nope i wont call you demented or liar but i have huge issues with a claim that a TV station went to the effort to report in a real time caption about an alleged even and didnt film it themselves and miss what might have been a scoop of the century, big gapping hole there,

I have seen countless times true believers state that since the government gave what sounded to them like a bs explanation then it must jump to aliens in their craft, no, like with kecksburg they gov very well might have told a cover story in the interest of natinal security concerning very earthy secrets we dont want other countries to know about just yet.

you other account sounds like another that was posted here and i will ask you the same question, the event would have been seen by others, you know the time day and date did you ever happen to try to track down collaborative accounts, you could compare details.

On 4/7/2019 at 8:24 PM, DanL said:

Let us be REAL. They could shoot a hundred pictures with several phones and cameras and the response would be about the same. Those that believe, will believe, and those that don't are never going to believe anything until they are the ones that see something undeniable in person.

Let's  say that they both take photos. If they do and the photos or videos can be timed then there is more information that just what they see. It is possible to triangulate the images and provide a 3d description of the event.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2019 at 11:25 PM, Habitat said:

Venus shining through swamp gas ? :lol:

Do you realize that the swamp gas explanation was used only once and by a famous ufologist? Look it up and find out what famous proponent of alien visitors you are making fun of in this jab.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, stereologist said:

Do you realize that the swamp gas explanation was used only once and by a famous ufologist? Look it up and find out what famous proponent of alien visitors you are making fun of in this jab.

I think I can still live with myself, finding that out, maybe ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I LOVE it. The ney sayers can't even take the time to actually READ my statement before they start saying NO WAY!!! I was pretty specific that there were TWO military planes up that night. I never inferred that the strange light was burning afterburners. Video is generally a digital thing. In the 70s it was tape and most people didn't have or carry that sort of equipment around also let's be real if that is possible. WHAT would a picture of a bright light prove or disprove. There are hundreds of pictures and video of the lights that passed over Phoenix Arizona is a V-shaped formation and what good that that do?

I want to thank the Naysayers that jumped in on this. I have said over and over that I am as interested in why people keep saying that they see these things. The other side of that is why do so many people feel so threatened by these sightings that they can't even allow themselves to wonder if it could be true. You jump straight to NO WAY and then call anyone that said that they saw something that looked strange and that they couldn't identify is a liar. 

I went out of my way from the start to point out that I am not proposing that this is little green people or Greys all I have ever mentioned is that I like to sky watch and have seen a few unexplained things. Are you so terrified that you can't even deal with the possibility that I have said that I have seen some unidentified things in the sky that you can't bear it? 

Seriously what is the matter with you that you can't even be curious? I am as curious about the constant repeatedly sick paranoia that some seem to have that won't even allow them to wonder. To me, that is a sign of some deep set phobic reaction like a woman being terrified by a tiny mouse that is unable to even look at them and understand that they are no real threat.  They are as fascinating to me as the people that are obvious hoaxers that tell some totally stupid tale about their special friends that visit them occasionally and take them for rides in their space ship. I think that both want the attention and will do anything to get it. 

Why is it that people can't allow an intelligent discussion about this issue? What is sooooooo danm frightening about someone saying, "I saw something rather odd in the sky. I wonder what it was?" that it can't be allowed. Automatically they are picked to pieces. the topic dies. Not everyone has hide like a rhino like me. Most people just don't say anything. 

FINE you win we won't talk about the scary lights in the sky. Instead, I want to know what it is about this topic that makes people so afraid that they can't even allow it to be talked about. Do you have other phobic issues? I often wonder if this is just a form of negative behavior. Some people can't actually make or do anything themselves and feel inadequate so they focus on tearing down and messing up other people's stuff.  If you don't like this topic you don't have to read it. Why do you feel compelled to butt in and not allow those of us that ARE curious to discuss this? 

Why are you so set on refusing to hear or even allow other people to discuss this. Personally, it makes me think of how a little BRAT that demands attention might put their fingers in their ears and start yelling. They refuse to listen or even allow others to talk.

Edited by DanL
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, DanL said:

I LOVE it. The ney sayers can't even take the time to actually READ my statement before they start saying NO WAY!!! I was pretty specific that there were TWO military planes up that night. I never inferred that the strange light was burning afterburners. Video is generally a digital thing. In the 70s it was tape and most people didn't have or carry that sort of equipment around also let's be real if that is possible. WHAT would a picture of a bright light prove or disprove. There are hundreds of pictures and video of the lights that passed over Phoenix Arizona is a V-shaped formation and what good that that do?

I want to thank the Naysayers that jumped in on this. I have said over and over that I am as interested in why people keep saying that they see these things. The other side of that is why do so many people feel so threatened by these sightings that they can't even allow themselves to wonder if it could be true. You jump straight to NO WAY and then call anyone that said that they saw something that looked strange and that they couldn't identify is a liar. 

I went out of my way from the start to point out that I am not proposing that this is little green people or Greys all I have ever mentioned is that I like to sky watch and have seen a few unexplained things. Are you so terrified that you can't even deal with the possibility that I have said that I have seen some unidentified things in the sky that you can't bear it? 

Seriously what is the matter with you that you can't even be curious? I am as curious about the constant repeatedly sick paranoia that some seem to have that won't even allow them to wonder. To me, that is a sign of some deep set phobic reaction like a woman being terrified by a tiny mouse that is unable to even look at them and understand that they are no real threat.  They are as fascinating to me as the people that are obvious hoaxers that tell some totally stupid tale about their special friends that visit them occasionally and take them for rides in their space ship. I think that both want the attention and will do anything to get it. 

Why is it that people can't allow an intelligent discussion about this issue? What is sooooooo danm frightening about someone saying, "I saw something rather odd in the sky. I wonder what it was?" that it can't be allowed. Automatically they are picked to pieces. the topic dies. Not everyone has hide like a rhino like me. Most people just don't say anything. 

FINE you win we won't talk about the scary lights in the sky. Instead, I want to know what it is about this topic that makes people so afraid that they can't even allow it to be talked about. Do you have other phobic issues? I often wonder if this is just a form of negative behavior. Some people can't actually make or do anything themselves and feel inadequate so they focus on tearing down and messing up other people's stuff.  If you don't like this topic you don't have to read it. Why do you feel compelled to butt in and not allow those of us that ARE curious to discuss this? 

Why are you so set on refusing to hear or even allow other people to discuss this. Personally, it makes me think of how a little BRAT that demands attention might put their fingers in their ears and start yelling. They refuse to listen or even allow others to talk.

seems you do the very things you accuse others of doing, so take your fingers out of your ears, did you not read where i have asked if you looked into collaborating reports of your alleged accounts did you answer that question? no, you went on some trollish tantrum rant trying to say people who dont believe anecdotes with lots of holes are scared or something, i cant speak for anyone except myself but stories like yours do not scare me, i get curious about details if like in this case my questions are met with misplaced anger the story teller looses most if not all credibilty,

i have to wonder why you are so deeply insercure over this, why do you so deeply need people to take your stories at face value and if they ask a legitimate question you freak out, is it a big fragile ego thing?

so again i will ask did you look into any collaborative reports out on the net that cover either of your stories? you claim one was on the news shouldnt be hard to find, so post the links to the cases. or rant and rave some more the choice is yours.

Hey, DanL, why not QUOTE what people take the time to type?  Then you'll have to realise why your story does not make sense... oh wait - THAT's why.

I'm out, this was a huge waste of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DanL said:

No one is afraid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

No one is afraid. 

well, not entirely true, danl gives me the impression hes afraid, very afraid.

It SUCKS when people do to bullies what bullies do to them doesn't it??

Why would anybody post about an experience or anything that they have seen here? Honest open discussion isn't allowed by the whining naysayers that immediately are going to call you a liar.  Try to awaken your three brain cells for a moment. If I was going to make up a story about seeing some sort of bizarre alien craft don't you think that I could do better than a bright light moving through the sky?  I am a writer and have a massively wild imagination. I could have quite easily gone to google and found a sighting that was well documented and then using that as the core of my story made up a much better story that would have had all sorts of documentation. The reality though is that most things are not like on TV and movies and are not big things with little grey people running all over the place.

WHAT exactly is so unbelievable about seeing a bright light moving in an odd fashion. I tried really hard to make it clear from the first that it was just a bright moving light and tell it as close as possible to what was seen. Since most of you evidently are unaware, in the past before the internet and the digital age things were a lot different than they are now. For one thing, back then TV stations were very much a part of the community. They would run all sorts of community-related lines across the bottom of the TV back then. High School football scores would often be reported that way if it was a big important game. If they got a bunch of calls about most anything they might run a line telling people about it. The people were our neighbors and people that you might see at the store. They had a lot of local shows and the community had a lot of access to that. By the time I was 15 I had probably been on television a dozen times or more. Things back then were not loaded onto a digital format. I imagine if you went to the local New Paper and dug through their archives you could find the story the next day when the military said it was a meteorite. Also back them people, in general, were much less jaded and tended to believe what the government and military told us.

Can any of you tell me exactly what was going on in your life and if something happened the exact date it happened 40 or more years later. If your mind is so closed that you can't even imagine that someone might have seen an unexplained bright light in the sky I pity you... I'm done it is pointless talking to people that refuse to listen....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DanL said:

It SUCKS when people do to bullies what bullies do to them doesn't it??

Why would anybody post about an experience or anything that they have seen here?  Honest open discussion isn't allowed by the whining naysayers that immediately are going to call you a liar.  Try to awaken your three brain cells for a moment. If I was going to make up a story about seeing some sort of bizarre alien craft don't you think that I could do better than a bright light moving through the sky?  I am a writer and have a massively wild imagination. I could have quite easily gone to google and found a sighting that was well documented and then using that as the core of my story made up a much better story that would have had all sorts of documentation. The reality though is that most things are not like on TV and movies and are not big things with little grey people running all over the place.

WHAT exactly is so unbelievable about seeing a bright light moving in an odd fashion. I tried really hard to make it clear from the first that it was just a bright moving light and tell it as close as possible to what was seen. Since most of you evidently are unaware, in the past before the internet and the digital age things were a lot different than they are now. For one thing, back then TV stations were very much a part of the community. They would run all sorts of community-related lines across the bottom of the TV back then. High School football scores would often be reported that way if it was a big important game. If they got a bunch of calls about most anything they might run a line telling people about it. The people were our neighbors and people that you might see at the store. They had a lot of local shows and the community had a lot of access to that. By the time I was 15 I had probably been on television a dozen times or more. Things back then were not loaded onto a digital format. I imagine if you went to the local New Paper and dug through their archives you could find the story the next day when the military said it was a meteorite. Also back them people, in general, were much less jaded and tended to believe what the government and military told us.

Can any of you tell me exactly what was going on in your life and if something happened the exact date it happened 40 or more years later. If your mind is so closed that you can't even imagine that someone might have seen an unexplained bright light in the sky I pity you... I'm done it is pointless talking to people that refuse to listen....

long yet empty,

yeah, if i saw big weird experience i would know the date, most people would, i would think a writer would. as a writer you know how important research is.

when you are done playing abused bullied victim and want to have an Honest open discussion and answer my question, "have you researched your accounts for any collaboration?", let us know,

if the answer is no you havent while i will find that very odd i will expect that, if you did research and came up zip, admit it, that too i will accept, but please no more drama.

I've posted stories here. I don't commentary personal. I also don't make any extraordinary claims about what I saw. I also tell me I can't be sure what I saw.

Some people want to claim superhuman powers. One poster here wants to pretend they have a nervous system that operators nearly 100 times faster than a human's nervous system. I don't take them seriously. When I try to point out the error they are making they get all p***y about it. Guess that is what superheroes do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

Yeppers, there ain't no way anybody could see a bright light in the sky acting a little different and wonder what it was....Anyone that even infers that they saw a bright light in the sky has to be stomped down.

Honestly, the only thing about that light wasn't that it was all THAT odd. It was just a light. Back then even seeing military craft wasn't all that odd. I probably wouldn't have thought much of it except for one thing. We watched it go back and forth several times going East to West and then coming back West to East. This was a small town back in the days before there was cable TV. Your TV stations, three if you were lucky, were totally local and most anything of local interest might be run across the bottom of the screen. The thing that was strange to me was that the military when contacted said there were no aircraft in the sky that night and then that what we saw was a meteorite. I have seen hundreds of meteors and meteorites and not one has EVER changed direction 189 degrees several times. I don't think that is even possible. Why lie and why say such a stupid thing???? All they had to say was that they were having exercises, they did that a lot, and it would have been nothing of interest after that. 

I really can't imagine what makes this such a wildly fantastic claim.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

claims, stories, tales, anecdote...etc and when lacking proof, evidence, collaboration they arent of any scientific value to me.

and danL your story is just that "a wild claim" that starts and ends as that.

basically 100% of your claim is up to if the listener wants to give you their faith that you are of integrity, credible,

i dont know you and i gauge things like you want to be taken at your word and seem to want to lean to not of this world explanations while you call the military you say you contacted stupid liars, yet if i said i think you mistook something prosiac or made it all up you would get all angry,

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

@DanL  Keep the "stories" coming, bro :tu:

i agree...:tu: