Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery Infection, Spreading Worldwide

marsman

A Mysterious Infection, Spanning the Globe in a Climate of Secrecy

The rise of Candida auris embodies a serious and growing public health threat: drug-resistant germs.
Last May, an elderly man was admitted to the Brooklyn branch of Mount Sinai Hospital for abdominal surgery. A blood test revealed that he was infected with a newly discovered germ as deadly as it was mysterious. Doctors swiftly isolated him in the intensive care unit.

The germ, a fungus called Candida auris, preys on people with weakened immune systems, and it is quietly spreading across the globe. Over the last five years, it has hit a neonatal unit in Venezuela, swept through a hospital in Spain, forced a prestigious British medical center to shut down its intensive care unit, and taken root in India, Pakistan and South Africa.

Recently C. auris reached New York, New Jersey and Illinois, leading the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to add it to a list of germs deemed “urgent threats.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/06/health/drug-resistant-candida-auris.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

another link says

Mysterious Drug-Resistant Germ Deemed An "Urgent Threat" Is Quietly Sweeping The Globe

The infection - a fungus known as Candida auris, kills almost half of all patients who contract it within 90 days, according to the CDC - as it's impervious to most major antifungal medications. First described in 2009 after a 70-year-old Japanese woman showed up at a Tokyo hospital with C. auris in her ear canal, the aggressive yeast infection has spread across Asia and Europe - arriving in the US by 2016.

The earliest known case in the United States involved a woman who arrived at a New York hospital on May 6, 2013, seeking care for respiratory failure. She was 61 and from the United Arab Emirates, and she died a week later, after testing positive for the fungus. At the time, the hospital hadn’t thought much of it, but three years later, it sent the case to the C.D.C. after reading the agency’s June 2016 advisory.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-04-06/mysterious-drug-resistant-germ-deemed-urgent-threat-quietly-sweeping-globe

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Dieback time is coming.

Not that any zoologist didn't see this eventually.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

The problem is alot of viruses fungus mutation because all the antibiotics. Also look at the pyramids in Egypt people would open them up you know go inside a closed tomb that's been sealed for thousands of years and then people started dropping dead. Alot called it  the pharaoh's curse, but all it was was bacteria that man has not seen before.

Could that be happening again who knows really.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have wondered if all the melting permafrost might release something we aren't used to anymore, but, I guess time will tell.

• Like 5

I wonder what the death toll for all those anti-vax kids will be. I'd hate to crunch those numbers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I have wondered if all the melting permafrost might release something we aren't used to anymore, but, I guess time will tell.

You know it could happen bacteria and viruses can be hidden in many things when something melts, gets cut, vaults open.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I wonder what the death toll for all those anti-vax kids will be. I'd hate to crunch those numbers.

Me also but then again it is the parent's right to and nothing no one can do.

2 minutes ago, Abilityperson said:

Me also but then again it is the parent's right to and nothing no one can do.

Might be their choice, but the kid/s have to pay the price.

That's the thing about choices, there is always a cost for making them.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Might be their choice, but the kid/s have to pay the price.

That's the thing about choices, there is always a cost for making them.

Oh I agree 100%  my child has all her shot"s but that was my choice unfortunately she still got a mild case of the chicken poxs

• Like 1

A couple of points, not to seem a know-it-all but antibiotics have zero effects on viral infections.  That fact is mostly responsible for the dwindling numbers of effective antibiotics because too many people demand them for colds and then stop taking them and allow whatever bug they have in the body along with the virus, to build immunity.  It's just a matter of time until one of these little critters evolves into something like the "Spanish" flu in WWI.  No immunity and no medicines to combat it.  If I'm around when it hits, I just hope it leads to death quickly and without suffocating victims as that flu did.  IT was HORRIBLE.

• Like 4

We are building institutions to bring all the sickness together and in the same time putting a melting pot of chemical to treat them. So we are working for all these disease to perform better, doing some sort of controlled evolution. Well done !

But in the end, the weak will die... Sadly but truly, it's the way of life.

• Like 1

Just yesterday i was reading about the impact that ballast from cruise ships is making large problems by mixing foreign species in other climates. Montenegro and Croatia had (and still have) large problem. Some of those organisms are starting to thrive and endanger local species especially in micro organisms.

LINK to article about those 'cruise ship' problems. Maybe it's not relevant but if we consider how much 'mixing' and microclimate changes are happening from numerous sources it might be fertile ground for new invasive species to thrive and, of course, get in contact with people.

It's wonder that we don't have larger problems. So many people of all ages are dying from fevers as if this was few centuries back in time instead of 2019. Very sad i hope it won't escalate because those tiny attackers are hard to fight, can't shot them or nuke them and what is global medical spending when compared to arms trade? Oh, the irony if this gets humans down on our knees.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

How about that poor guy in the hospital? Goes in for a routine surgery, contracts a fungus and takes 90 DAYS to die. That must have been one hellish 90 days, sounds horrible..

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Calibeliever said:

How about that poor guy in the hospital? Goes in for a routine surgery, contracts a fungus and takes 90 DAYS to die. That must have been one hellish 90 days, sounds horrible..

Hospitals smell clean (sometimes) but how safe are they? All them sick people.

My daughter had the VNS Put in to help stop her seizures when she was 16, operation went well. On our way home she was not herself figured it is from what she went threw. About hr being home I looked at her temperature shot up to 106 called 911 she caught pneumonia from the other hospital, the doctor said either someone in the operation room was sick or in the recovery area. So yeah hospitals not that good for say go in healthy come out sick 

Edited by Abilityperson
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Abilityperson said:

Hospitals smell clean (sometimes) but how safe are they? All them sick people.

My daughter had the VNS Put in to help stop her seizures when she was 16, operation went well. On our way home she was not herself figured it is from what she went threw. About hr being home I looked at her temperature shot up to 106 called 911 she caught pneumonia from the other hospital, the doctor said either someone in the operation room was sick or in the recovery area. So yeah hospitals not that good for say go in healthy come out sick 

Jeez that's terrible. Hope she's ok now.

• Like 3

Oh yeah 3 days in hospital she is down fall she got really sick but she has not had a seizure in over 5 yrs

• Like 3

7 hours ago, and then said:

A couple of points, not to seem a know-it-all but antibiotics have zero effects on viral infections.  That fact is mostly responsible for the dwindling numbers of effective antibiotics because too many people demand them for colds and then stop taking them and allow whatever bug they have in the body along with the virus, to build immunity.  It's just a matter of time until one of these little critters evolves into something like the "Spanish" flu in WWI.  No immunity and no medicines to combat it.  If I'm around when it hits, I just hope it leads to death quickly and without suffocating victims as that flu did.  IT was HORRIBLE.

Oh I agree but I am talking about doctors who prescribed antibiotics like no tomorrow. My niece her son, doctor kept prescribing antibiotics Everytime he had a small infection. Now antibiotics no longer work on him. For the most part I also blame my niece, if he was playing got a scrap or a cut, instead of cleaning it and putting Neosporin on it rushed to doc and he kept putting him on amoxicillin. 

• Like 2

I had jock itch about 7 years ago. That fungus was so painful. Top 3 pains in my life. It took over a month to go away. Not to be graphic but my skin was peeling off and was completely raw, it became super sensitive. Showers hurt, walking hurt, sleeping even hurt. The only good thing was it was treatable, garlic is also an amazing anti-fungal natural remedy but my situation required prescription cream. Seems like alot of fungus and stds are becoming more resilient to modern medicine.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AllPossible said:

I had jock itch about 7 years ago. That fungus was so painful. Top 3 pains in my life. It took over a month to go away. Not to be graphic but my skin was peeling off and was completely raw, it became super sensitive. Showers hurt, walking hurt, sleeping even hurt. The only good thing was it was treatable, garlic is also an amazing anti-fungal natural remedy but my situation required prescription cream. Seems like alot of fungus and stds are becoming more resilient to modern medicine.

Yes because just like everything else they become immune to it and mutation happens.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AllPossible said:

Wild garlic is really good for fungus. You have to eat it and smear it though because it could be in your bloodstream. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, susieice said:

This was on our news last night. It was in New Jersey.

They sent a notification to us because we have a Montessori school here. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Calibeliever said:

Hospitals are the worst, most dangerous places imaginable for sick people.  That probably sounds ridiculous but nosocomial infections can kill people who go in for simple procedures.  This fungus is so hardy, I'm not sure how they're going to clean and sterilize patient rooms and all other patient care areas.

• Like 3