Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Admin Lets Foster Agency Turn Away Catholics

Farmer77

Trump Administration Lets Foster Agency Turn Away Catholics and Jews

Aimee Maddonna is the kind of foster parent that child welfare agencies dream of: a married mom of three children, two of them with special needs, and hoping to foster kids who also have special needs. No surprise that when she visited the largest child-welfare agency in her hometown of Greenville, South Carolina, she passed all of the screening tests with flying colors.

Until she told them she was Catholic. That’s when her application was summarily rejected.

That’s because the agency in question, the state-funded, evangelical-run Miracle Hill Ministries only places children with “born again” Christian parents. In 2018, South Carolina’s Republican governor, Henry McMaster, issued an executive order specifically allowing this discrimination and asked for a federal waiver to allow Miracle Hill to receive federal taxpayer dollars disbursed by the state and turn away not just LGBT people, unmarried people, and anyone else they deemed religiously unfit, but non-evangelical Christians and Jews too. (At least two Jewish couples have also been denied by Miracle Hill.)

In January 2019, the Trump administration’s Department of Health and Human Services granted that waiver.

That’s right, in Donald Trump’s America state- and federally funded adoption agencies and other child welfare agencies (CWAs) can openly violate anti-discrimination laws and openly flout the “best interests of the child” standard that governs American family law, and can legally refuse to place children with anyone they religiously disapprove of.

Unconstitutional? Maybe. Un-American? Definitely.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This doesn't quite pass the smell test.  Definitely more here than meets the eye.  Will wait for the 'rest of the story' to develop in time.

• Like 1

So, I did a search to find another point of view article on the net, And came across this.  

Sandy Furnell, communications director for Miracle Hill Ministries, responded to the report of the lawsuit Friday night.

"Miracle Hill did not prevent Mrs. Madonna from fostering because she never applied to foster with Miracle Hill," Furnell's emailed statement read in part. "She asked about being a part of our mentoring program which, like our foster program, requires that volunteers in positions of spiritual influence share the organization’s Protestant, Christian faith.

"We would absolutely have encouraged Mrs. Madonna to foster, and if she had asked about fostering with Miracle Hill, we would have directed her to the local DSS office or a number of other agencies in the area."

I wonder, is it true, that Mrs. Madonna did try to become a mentor?? I thought, she simply wanted to foster and that she is a foster parent. (I do wonder of what I think is right with either site. Though, the article in the link of the site, is from a left based site, (I am part of this party, just to be honest) I often wonder though, they do admit to somethings being a bit biased, like I noticed Here.

Like I feel I like to do, I always want to have at least two sites to see if the story matches. *shrugs* 

Well, anyways, if it’s true to the site I linked, did Mrs. Madonna just asked to be a mentor, or she did want to be a foster parent through their program? Now, if it’s the case she wants to foster, are foster parents under the responsibility of the government, or the program they go to? I would think it’s through the governent. Since it seems to me, that this particular group is being funded by the state, the program should not be discriminating against anyone. 

• Like 2

I could see why she might want to mentor as the parent, already, of special needs children she would be a good mentor in that capacity. I also feel that if they are following certain criteria, they have every right to hire people that fit their wants it needs. I don't know about their funding, might be from private sources.

A little background

Trump Administration Helps Faith-Based Agencies Block LGBT Adoption

S.C. group can reject gays and Jews as foster parents, Trump admin says

COLUMBIA, S.C. — The federal government agreed Wednesday to allow federally funded foster care agencies in South Carolina to deny services to same-sex or non-Christian couples.

The waiver issued by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services will allow Greenville’s Miracle Hill Ministries to continue as a state-supported foster care agency.

so your story turned out to be another nothing burger, so you throw in two more?/ lamo,  from both left leaning sources, no less.  

anything negative about trump from left biased sources is a lie by default, unless proven true, but so far almost nothing proved true.  

but keep trying, lol, 

• Like 2

Just now, aztek said:

so your story turned out to be another nothing burger, so you throw in two more?/ lamo,  from both left leaning sources, no less.  

anything negative about trump from left biased sources is a lie by default, unless proven true, but so far almost nothing proved true.  

but keep trying, lol, 

The story is that the administration is allowing federally funded agencies to discriminate based on religion.

Man you work really hard at maintaining your ignorance and I hate to wreck that for ya but heres a right wing source your biases may allow you to read 

https://miraclehill.org/freetofoster/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

The story is that the administration is allowing federally funded agwhatencies to discriminate based on religion.

Man you work really hard at maintaining your ignorance and I hate to wreck that for ya but heres a right wing source your biases may allow you to read 

https://miraclehill.org/freetofoster/

what? snake oil? no we do not need snake oil

• Haha 1

Just now, aztek said:

what? snake oil? no we do not need snake oil

ya know facts, snake oil....whatever :rolleyes:

The one theme that runs through this story line is that Jews can be rejected from being foster parents.  Doesn't that seem very odd when you consider that Ivanka is Jewish?

• Like 1

Just now, aztek said:

yep, good luck selling it, have you tried Russian collusion department? some there may buy it,

You're so cute in your determined ignorance. First you wont believe the source because its "left" then you wont even address the facts when provided from the source itself , and now you're....IDK is that an attempted insult?

Sorry amigo but the fact is the regime is giving waivers to organizations so they can discriminate based on religious preference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RavenHawk said:

The one theme that runs through this story line is that Jews can be rejected from being foster parents.  Doesn't that seem very odd when you consider that Ivanka is Jewish?

Not really. It would have been really weird if the feds had granted them a waiver to discriminate against everyone BUT jews.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Not really. It would have been really weird if the feds had granted them a waiver to discriminate against everyone BUT jews.

A Protestant organization discriminating against Protestants?

• Like 2

Trump policy has been to let religions have the freedom not to serve those that do not fit their values.  Why is everyone so surprised when the more bigoted people use this policy to not include people they dislike?  It's the whole gay wedding cake issue resolved the way conservatives wanted. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

It's the whole gay wedding cake issue resolved the way conservatives wanted. 

you're saying it like it's a bad thing.. that is how it should have ended in a first place.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

A Protestant organization discriminating against Protestants?

yea, it's a liberal way,  white liberal  snofwlakes, attack other whites for being white,

• Like 2

I admit that I don't see much difference between mentoring and fostering, but evidently there is.  It sounds procedural to me but if it is a Protestant organization, then they set the rules.  I'm sure that this Maddonna is a mentor in a Catholic fostering agency (and maybe others) and I'm sure it has similar rules.  This is not the Administration sanctioning discrimination, but respecting the rights individual religions.  As with many other things, it takes all hands on deck.  You can't make them all conform to some artificial standard.

• Like 2

what is in it for the foster parent? gvmnt help? tax brake?  do they get paid? why do people foster? i understand why people would adopt, but foster.... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RavenHawk said:

I admit that I don't see much difference between mentoring and fostering, but evidently there is.  It sounds procedural to me but if it is a Protestant organization, then they set the rules.  I'm sure that this Maddonna is a mentor in a Catholic fostering agency (and maybe others) and I'm sure it has similar rules.  This is not the Administration sanctioning discrimination, but respecting the rights individual religions.  As with many other things, it takes all hands on deck.  You can't make them all conform to some artificial standard.

You know I actually largely agree with that in theory.

I do feel however the potential for abuse to the individual outweighs the organizations religious liberties when discussing this particular issue.

6 minutes ago, aztek said:

yea, it's a liberal way,  white liberal  snofwlakes, attack other whites for being white,

Or what Obama said this past weekend in Berlin, when he criticized the Progressive candidates participating in a circular firing squad.  Actually, I think everybody wants to see this and have it drawn out till the bitter end with the last one standing doing a Klaus Starr to achieve that final spot.  :ph34r:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

You know I actually largely agree with that in theory.

I do feel however the potential for abuse to the individual outweighs the organizations religious liberties when discussing this particular issue.

What potential for what abuse?  Maddonna certainly has a right to ask and even petition, but the agency has the final say.  Maddonna walks away looking for another place to mentor (she can still foster).  The Rights of the organization outweighs all other concerns.  There is no discrimination here.  The organization isn’t going after Maddonna and attacking her.  There are many other places to foster and mentor.  Now, it would have been nice if the fostering agency could find a way to rescind that rule but it’s completely up to them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

An organisation that is SO obscure it doesn't even have a wikipedia page ? 

Hey there @Farmer77, I declare "Trump Derangement Syndrome". It was the Obama presidency that granted these people their charity license ? 

Now... prove me wrong :D 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

An organisation that is SO obscure it doesn't even have a wikipedia page ? 

Hey there @Farmer77, I declare "Trump Derangement Syndrome". It was the Obama presidency that granted these people their charity license ? 

Now... prove me wrong :D 

I...uh....well....what a weird post

Gov. Henry McMaster Statement on U.S. Department and Health and Human Granting Religious Freedom Waiver Request

Governor Henry McMaster today released the following statement in response to the United States Department of Health and Human Services’ decision to grant the governor’s request for a waiver allowing the South Carolina Department of Social Services to license faith-based Child Placing Agencies without those agencies being required to abandon their sincerely held religious beliefs:

“By granting this waiver, President Trump and Secretary Azar have shown the entire world that, as Americans, our fundamental right to practice religion, regardless of our faith, will not be in jeopardy under this administration. With young people in need of stable foster homes throughout our state, I am determined to protect each and every one of the Child Placing Agencies that have been called to help us fill those needs.”

• Thanks 1