Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tourist caught lifting Pompeii mosaic tiles

Eldorado

"A British woman has been detained for removing tiles from a mosaic in Pompeii, Italian police have said.

The 20-year-old tourist was caught lifting pieces from a floor mosaic in the archaeological site House of Anchor."

Full short report at Sky News: https://news.sky.com/story/british-tourist-detained-for-removing-mosaic-tiles-in-pompeii-11688012

"Italian police have detained a British woman suspected of removing some small Roman tiles from a mosaic at Pompeii.

Italian media say she was spotted cutting tiles - called tesserae - from a floor mosaic in the world-famous site's House of the Anchor. She was with her father and sister at the time."

At the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47854399

:(

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

An example should be made.....

• Like 1

She should be arrested damage to property, theft, come on people have respect for other countries and the archaeology site, SMH

• Like 1

How could anyone reason that would be acceptable?  The self entitlement of people today blows my mind

• Like 3

Well not sure how old you all are but I was born in the early 70's and I swear since the 2001 so forth all these kids have that entitlement attitude. Now PLEASE not saying everyone is but there are alot who think that way

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Abilityperson said:

Well not sure how old you all are but I was born in the early 70's and I swear since the 2001 so forth all these kids have that entitlement attitude. Now PLEASE not saying everyone is but there are alot who think that way

We were raised in the same generation.  Now, people are entitled because they want it.  There are a lot of things I want, I work for them, not expect others to give them to me.  Stealing us stealing.  It's not yours, you don't get to just take it. No one is responsible for their actions anymore, it's everyone else's fault.   Society has really taken a nose dive.

ban her and everyone who was with her to ever enter Italy again. too bad they no longer chop hands of thieves, she really deserves it for vandalizing ancient site. 

when i was in Greece, it was very common for tourists to take small rocks from acropolis site.. i talked to a local there, he said gvmnt brings truckload of similar rocks, once in a while and dumps it on the site, if they did not all rocks would be gone by now.  

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

And her father and sister didn't stop her? There's no way I would have attempted anything remotely like that in front of my Dad. Whew!

Edited by skliss
Typo
  • Like 1