Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stand-up seats on planes step closer to reality

Still Waters

Airlines are notorious for trying to squeeze as many passengers as possible onto aircraft, but a new seat design could up the ante even more.

A forward-thinking manufacturer has unveiled an updated prototype of its stand-up seat, the Skyrider 3.0.

The space-saving design has a reduced pitch, meaning passengers are in a more upright position, rather than sitting as normal.

Italian company Avio Interiors showed off its latest model, which, unlike earlier versions, includes a coat hook and a seat pocket or table, at the Aircraft Interiors Expo in Hamburg.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/kids/other/stand-up-seats-on-planes-come-step-closer-to-reality/ar-BBVK1Hi?

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Stand-up seats on planes step closer to reality

for short flights i would not mind, i used to spend hour or more standing in nyc trains.  the seats seem to be similar to boat's half seats. you are not really standing, nor sitting, but it is not bad at all, assuming you are a healthy person. 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

As if it didn't already look uncomfortable enough, the crotch belt instead of a lap belt would add injury to insult if it was ever needed in a rough landing.   Does it seem odd to anyone that as planes get bigger the seats get smaller?  I clicked on this topic only because I was intrigued by the oxymoron of a stand up seat.

• Haha 1

I dont give that idea any chance outside the military area. Commercial flight tickets are such cheap meanwhile, so why should anyone take a flight in such an uncomfortable seat? To pay only 95€ instead of 100€? Never.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Big Jim said:

As if it didn't already look uncomfortable enough, the crotch belt instead of a lap belt would add injury to insult if it was ever needed in a rough landing.   Does it seem odd to anyone that as planes get bigger the seats get smaller?  I clicked on this topic only because I was intrigued by the oxymoron of a stand up seat.

My biggest complaint when flying is the lack of space to stretch my legs.  I could accept a different configuration on short flights if it allowed my legs to be extended.   

2 hours ago, toast said:

I dont give that idea any chance outside the military area. Commercial flight tickets are such cheap meanwhile, so why should anyone take a flight in such an uncomfortable seat? To pay only 95€ instead of 100€? Never.

In a perfect situation, those seats might be okay for younger, healthier people but just imagine trying to sit in one while your departure or deboarding was delayed for HOURS.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, and then said:

In a perfect situation, those seats might be okay for younger, healthier people but just imagine trying to sit in one while your departure or deboarding was delayed for HOURS.  

Young and healthy is the key.  Many families or business colleagues flying together may have to divert to another flight just because one of their party can't stand for that long.

Yeah, pretty dumb, half the fun of flying up to the gold coast for example, (about 2.15 minutes) on Qantas is getting the meal on the way up. Try eating on these stupid things, or drinking.

This is about as stupid as getting workers to stand at the keyboard or exercise every half hour while working at the computer. Standing may work, but working out is pretty dumb. Bottom line is workers at workstations will likely be relatively unhealthy and some will keel over, can't have workers stacked up in a skyscraper for 40 years without health issues.

:ph34r: