Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Doppelganger

Abilityperson

Ok there have been many people who have seen there doppelganger, do you think it is real or a coincidence that someone looks like you? If so how that be such a coincidence?

dop·pel·gäng·er
/ˈdäpəlˌɡaNGər
noun
  1. an apparition or double of a living person.
    "he has been replaced by an evil doppelgänger"
  • Like 1

Well, I have had many conversations with people who were just aqauintances, who were sure they saw me somewhere I wasn't.  Finally I saw someone everyone insisted looked just like me and that person did not.  We both had long dark hair but mine is curly and untamed.  Her's was straight.  The similarity was that we dressed alike.  We weren't even the same size.

As for someone seeing their own doppelganger, I have never heard of that, except for a myth that if you see it you are dead or will be soon.

Yes, it is a coincidence. There are only so many ways a person can look, so with 7.5 billion people living right now, there must be a lot of people who look so similar, they are mistaken for twins,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

@sci-nerd  That is funny.  I bet if both of them did DNA tests they would find ancestors in common, OR if they both shaved their beards they would not look so much alike, only similar.   Their noses are very different, but the coloring and shape of the face is very similar.

Edited by Desertrat56

6 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

@sci-nerd  That is funny.  I bet if both of them did DNA tests they would find ancestors in common, OR if they both shaved their beards they would not look so much alike, only similar.   Their noses are very different, but the coloring and shape of the face is very similar.

Hard to say. Here's a later picture of them, where the differences stand out

2391.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=forma

• Like 1

@sci-nerd  Now they don't look at all alike.  Their faces aren't even the same shape.  Just the same color of hair.

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

@sci-nerd  Now they don't look at all alike.  Their faces aren't even the same shape.  Just the same color of hair.

I only see 6 inches and 50 pounds to separate them. One is just a larger version of the other.

34 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Ok I do know that as a fact because my one uncle his 6th wife had a transplant. She was a total Heath freak, after her transplant she started eating McDonald's. Found out the kidney she got the young man ate McDonald's once in a while.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Abilityperson said:

Ok there have been many people who have seen there doppelganger, do you think it is real or a coincidence that someone looks like you? If so how that be such a coincidence?

I think there are two uses of the word doppelganger in common parlance. One definition is two people that look remarkably similar. This I think is no big deal.

The second use of the word doppelganger is something paranormal. From Webster's Dictionary

Definition of doppelgänger

1a : double sense 2a said she had seen his doppelgänger

b : alter ego sense 1b

c : a person who has the same name as another

2 : a ghostly counterpart (see counterpart sense 3a) of a living person

In the case of the second type of doppelganger, the apparition is not permanent. In my forays on the internet I have heard multiple stories now of this type of phenomena for which normal modern people ask what happened after telling a story.

There are also a well-documented historical cases that go back to the earliest days of serious paranormal research:

Emilie Sagee never saw her doppelganger. Everyone else did, though.

Sagee worked in an exclusive girls’ school. She was a very good teacher, but for some reason she kept moving from one job to another. In 16 years, she had changed positions an impressive 19 times.

In 1845, the school found out why.

Sagee was allegedly the center of some very strange doppelganger activity. Her spectral twin was first seen during a class, as 13 students witnessed the doppelganger standing by Sagee’s side and mirroring her movements. Next, it stood behind her as she ate, pantomiming her movements. Sagee herself was completely oblivious to the apparition, despite the fact that everyone else could see it clearly. However, she did become strangely groggy and powerless during the times the doppelganger manifested, and the wraith was often seen doing things Sagee later said she had been thinking about at the moment, suggesting that she may have had some subliminal control over it.

Soon, the doppelganger ventured beyond Sagee’s immediate vicinity. At first, it appeared to a classroom full of students, sitting calmly in the teacher’s chair while Sagee herself was outside, working in the garden. The few people who dared to approach the doppelganger found they could pass through it, yet it had a texture that reminded them of thick fabric.

Time went by and the apparition became a permanent fixture of the school’s life, freaking people out on a regular basis. The girls’ concerned parents started removing their children from the school. Although Sagee was a model employee on all non-paranormal accounts, the headmistress had no option but to fire her and her ghostly double.

Here's a link to ten stories including the one above

• Like 1

I've posted this before, but here we go again:

I saw my doppelgänger when I was about 12 years old, at the time when a major bus route went past our house.

I walked into the front bedroom, without the light on, and a double-decker bus was pulling away from the stop.

My doppelgänger was on the top deck of the 21 bus.  He was wearing my favourite Rally Jacket, including the patch that my mom sewed onto it!

He slowly turned around to stare straight at me, but there was nothing behind the eyes.

• Like 5

i agree only so many ways people can look and some more common than others,

as far as weird phantom paranormal copies of ones self, nope, i dont believe in that.

I mean, I certainly hope I don't have a doppelganger. Also, I read that Queen Elizabeth I of England saw her doppelganger shortly before she died.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the years I've apparently been seen/spotted in places or at certain times even though I was never there.

In my 20s a friend called out to "me" as I drove a expensive looking car.  The driver looked puzzled upon hearing this and drove onwards.

A shopkeeper once told me that he had seen me in town walking my dogs.  The date in question had me at work.

A stranger once stopped me and addressed me with the wrong name.  He had just moved into my area and was surprised to see me there too.  He went on to describe a man who was a sports teacher.  He even described that person's dogs - same as mine.

I'd love to meet my doppleganger but my next example gave me the chills.  I had finished work and on the way home I decided to call into the supermarket.  On my way back out a middle aged lady stopped me and said hello.  She then began talking to me with obvious recognition of me.  When people's names, family and other details joined her conversation I clearly realised that it was mistaken identity.  And yet she went on and on with me finding it harder to stop her.  She did though get my name right, my new job and DIY problems at home.  She then went on about a sister with the wrong name and even referred to my hometown incorrectly.  This wierdness ended soon after she directed my vision towards an elderly lady who was sat in the cafeteria.  She called out my name and waved.  I waved back and made my exit.  To this day I don't know who they are and thre are no relatives in the.town which the lady spoke of.

• Like 1

A share... once I thought it was a friend, at a light and walking across and I didn't exactly jump or stand on their hood but was zipping across it and tap tap taping the hood and came to land by their driver side saying where have you been ? lets hit it or something to that effect

* kind of silence *... looked just like my friend, but wasn't-  hahahahaaa!  all big eyes  :rofl:   

I was like oh ! --excuse me, explained he looked just like someone I grew up with but in a second or two everyone was laughing so no big thing I guess.

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 2

i was often on the receving end of MWoo7 tale, it happened too much in the 80s early 90s,

people were just sure i was the cat they knew who was most times in another state, one older guy said i talked, moved, etc like his buddy, and i talk/sound odd, i have a weird unexplaned accent, like Elvis but not exactly, and i dont flow when i move.

around 87 88 a lady from norway out at disney on a vacation with her family was so taken by how much i looked like her friend they took pics, the huband agreed and the little kids just thought i was the fellow. what makes it odder, i am 6' 2" hair to my waist, and in the 80s did all the punk eyeliner hair color fun stuff etc....but even now i dont blend.

i do just write it off to how much can people really vary....

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

according to what i've leaned from various pastors, what a doppelganger is is a familiar spirit. Familiar spirits are demons. They can go back in time  and even forward...they can pick up information regarding people who have lived in the past. and they can manifest themselves as people that lived in the past and even in the present.  Their whole goal is not only to scare people...but to mislead people to believing things other than the bible and God. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KatyAD said:

according to what i've leaned from various pastors, what a doppelganger is is a familiar spirit. Familiar spirits are demons. They can go back in time  and even forward...they can pick up information regarding people who have lived in the past. and they can manifest themselves as people that lived in the past and even in the present.  Their whole goal is not only to scare people...but to mislead people to believing things other than the bible and God. 

You shouldnt listen to what pastors tell you..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, KatyAD said:

You do know that God and the bible are completely fictional, right?

• Like 2

Hey, you asked for my thoughts...and i gave them. I have no reason to doubt the word of God, it was written by real people, through the spirit of God (thats what i know is true in my heart). I didn't come here to save people, If you don't believe me...I am not offended.  

-Katy

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, KatyAD said:

I have no reason to doubt the word of God, it was written by real people,

What is the opposite of "real people"?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1