Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump hotels exempted from ban on foreign

ExpandMyMind

Clark’s article notes that in more than 50 legal opinions over some 150 years justice department lawyers have interpreted the clause in a way that barred any foreign payments or gifts except for ones Congress approved. But filings by the department since June 2017 reveal a new interpretation that “… would permit the president – and all federal officials – to accept unlimited amounts of money from foreign governments, as long as the money comes through commercial transactions with an entity owned by the federal official,” the professor writes.

Guardian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Fear not!

"Money was never a big motivation for me, except as a way to keep score. The real excitement is playing the game!"  -- Donald Trump

It's only a game.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, aztek said:

it IS a game, and the world is your playground, when you are a billionaire.

And the people in it are just pawns meant to be used and discarded.  Hope he doesn't flip the board over when he loses.

Maybe next time we will elect someone who doesn't think the world is a game or is poor enough to actually care about the pieces in it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Okay seriously I couldn't accept a gift - I am only doing my job .......... However, if you'd like to book 100 rooms at my hotel I am sure that would be perfectly acceptable".

It won't be long before the US government spits venom at corrupt governments with the disclaimer - 'Don't do as I do - do as I say'.

Edited by RAyMO

Hmm.. interesting. 

Has there EVER been a situation before whereby the President is also a major businessman ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmm.. interesting. 

Has there EVER been a situation before whereby the President is also a major businessman ? 

Doesn't matter RF, the optics on this are really bad. Even Trump supporters must see that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmm.. interesting. 

Nope, all the ones in the past gave up anything that could construe a conflict of interest in order to be in compliance with our Constitution and the Emoluments clause. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

All is well and fine, EMM, but look at your title to the thread:   "Trump hotels exempted....."  - it only matters for TRUMP.

In other words, this is not a bad thing for democracy, it's only bad because TRUMP can do bad things.

We must look the other way when Hilary runs her crooked money laundering scheme known as the Clinotn Trust Fund...  Ya, that be fine. Because, see - she be a good woman. Ya

See why these problems will NEVER be fixed, EMM?  The dems and repubs never had the brains to figure out that if we don't join forces and go after the true evil in America - Washington politicians and Big Biz, we're eff'd.  We'll eat eachother while the the pigs on both sides of the aisle grow big and strong.

30 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

And the people in it are just pawns meant to be used and discarded.  Hope he doesn't flip the board over when he loses.

Maybe next time we will elect someone who doesn't think the world is a game or is poor enough to actually care about the pieces in it.

absolutely, replaceable, disposable, and abundant 

do not bet on it. no one you vote in will think any different of you, they will just lie to your face,  like they have since beginning of times

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Were trump's hotels doing business with these foreigners before he was elected? 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Were trump's hotels doing business with these foreigners before he was elected? 

Well, yeah.  Russian collusion investigation ring a bell?   Trump Tower Moscow?  All that stuff?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, aztek said:

absolutely, replaceable, disposable, and abundant 

do not bet on it. no one you vote in will think any different of you, they will just lie to your face,  like they have since beginning of times

True that.  Had a buddy say that a guy needn't be faithful to his girl because they were a renewable resource.  Every year there is a new batch of 21yr olds.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Gromdor said:

Well, yeah.  Russian collusion investigation ring a bell?   Trump Tower Moscow?  All that stuff?

If you own hotels, people are going to stay in them.  If you own big fancy hotels in major cities all over the world rich people from all over the world are going to stay in them.  I suppose he should have sold the lot to his son when he won the nomination.  That would have given him plenty to start a brand new empire when he's done playing leader of the free world :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

True that.  Had a buddy say that a guy needn't be faithful to his girl because they were a renewable resource.  Every year there is a new batch of 21yr olds.

there you go, human nature. just some apply it to 1 girl at a time, billionaires apply it to entire nations,  and have unlimited resources to achieve what they want. 

Just now, OverSword said:

If you own hotels, people are going to stay in them.  If you own big fancy hotels in major cities all over the world rich people from all over the world are going to stay in them.  I suppose he should have sold the lot to his son when he won the nomination.  That would have given him plenty to start a brand new empire when he's done playing leader of the free world :D

That's exactly what he should have done.  Or put it in a blind trust.

It's true that if you own hotels people will stay in them,  it just starts to get awkward when foreign countries rent whole floors and no one stays in them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, aztek said:

there you go, human nature. just some apply it to 1 girl at a time, billionaires apply it to entire nations,  and have unlimited resources to achieve what they want. 

Yeah, it's just sad that billionaires>nations.  Means we are just ultimately swearing fealty to billionaires instead of our countries because our countries are even bowing to them.  Also means that a billionaire is greater than a countries laws.

• Like 3

Mr President there is legislation we, our corporation / country, think would be good for us, we mean the US. But before we get into detail, I must say how pleasant our team's stay was in the Trump Hotel for the last week, it was an absolute pleasure to pay the £30k bill. Now back to business...."

Not saying a govt official would could be swayed, but it will always look bad.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

All is well and fine, EMM, but look at your title to the thread:   "Trump hotels exempted....."  - it only matters for TRUMP.

In other words, this is not a bad thing for democracy, it's only bad because TRUMP can do bad things.

We must look the other way when Hilary runs her crooked money laundering scheme known as the Clinotn Trust Fund...  Ya, that be fine. Because, see - she be a good woman. Ya

See why these problems will NEVER be fixed, EMM?  The dems and repubs never had the brains to figure out that if we don't join forces and go after the true evil in America - Washington politicians and Big Biz, we're eff'd.  We'll eat eachother while the the pigs on both sides of the aisle grow big and strong.

I think the reason Trump was named is because it was changed specifically to protect Trump. Makes it a bit easier to defend the Saudi lobbyists renting 500 rooms in his hotels and him doubling the member's fee for his club, along with all the other outright corrupt acts.

And no one would be okay with this regardless of Trump. Can you not see what has happened? They've literally legalised corruption and the process by which the money would be funneled into the target. This is astounding.

I don't care about Hillary - hated her before I hated Trump. Just because you believe someone got away with something doesn't mean you should be okay with someone else being let off the hook for something else. If she had won then I'm sure I'd be arguing with Dems on here about her, just for the record.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Yeah, it's just sad that billionaires>nations.  Means we are just ultimately swearing fealty to billionaires instead of our countries because our countries are even bowing to them.  Also means that a billionaire is greater than a countries laws.

what do you think nations should be?  look at African nations, they are owned by warlords, is it less sad?  look at middle east, nations owned by religious radicals and warlords, is it less sad? 

seems like nations owned by billionaires do a  lot better.  

Edited by aztek

This seems pretty lame.  Though I would say his MarLago seems to be handy.  I could see an government hotel conference center resort for foreign dignitaries as a positive.  Some secure relaxed place on us soil to do negotiations , that also as has significant housing space.

2 minutes ago, travelnjones said:

This seems pretty lame.  Though I would say his MarLago seems to be handy.  I could see an government hotel conference center resort for foreign dignitaries as a positive.  Some secure relaxed place on us soil to do negotiations , that also as has significant housing space.

If only the government had a place like that, which wasn't privately owned and enabling corruption...... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, travelnjones said:

I'm sure plenty of foreign intelligence agencies would agree that it's very handy. I'm also certain the Secret Service would not.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

If only the government had a place like that, which wasn't privately owned and enabling corruption...... 

you need to drop the illusion that you can eradicate corruption, you can not, and that is  the reality of this world, corruption ALWAYS existed and always will, all we can do is manage it.  and not let it grow into a monster.

i really do not care about trump hotels, and whatever corruption you think happening there, i care more about corrupt courts , and corrupt doctors and lawyers scamming billions from tax payers pool. and making insurance higher for everyone. 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1