Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Long-lost 'cursed' film emerges 40 years on

UM-Bot

Sounds like a way to drum up ticket sales for a cheaply made "film". A la Blair Witch.

Of course if anyone does watch it and happens to dies afterwards (from completely PROSAIC means) those that want to believe will attribute it to this "movie".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What's old is new again!

Enter William Castle: Beginning with his 1958 film “Macabre,” Castle elevated the shock-factor gimmick to an art form. As a publicity stunt for the release of “Macabre,” Castle secured a life insurance policy from Lloyd’s of London, guaranteeing $1,000 in compensation for any audience member who died of fright while viewing his film.

Cult director John Waters praised Castle’s techniques in his book “Crackpot,” beginning with the “Macabre” setup: “Mock insurance policies appeared in all the newspaper ads. Giant replicas of the actual policy hung over the marquees. Hearses were parked outside the theaters and fake nurses in uniform were paid to stand around the lobbies.

“Audiences fell hook, line, and sinker. Nobody talked about the movie, but everyone was eager to see if some jerk would drop dead and collect. Of course, no one died. But if they had, it would have been even better.

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/these-1950s-movie-gimmicks-will-shock-you/

Edited by eight bits
What I saw wasn't what I got.
  • Like 3

The Necronomicon is 100% fiction. HP Lovecraft made it up about 100 years ago, give or take...

• Like 1

Lmao, real question is... why did the dog go to hell?? Sounds like to me he should stay there. Like hes kujo or something xD

Edited by AstralHorus
  • Haha 2

They used to do this sort of thing a lot when I was a kid. Movies advertised as soooo horrible that when you bought a ticket you were more or less signing a release of responsibility in case you had a heart attack. Almost always if you dared to go and watch you really WOULD die... of boredom. They weren't even bad in the good sort of way like the totally laughable Mystery Science Theater 3000 movies.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AstralHorus said:

Lmao, real question is... why did the dog go to hell??

If any dog goes to hell, then the rest of us are in BIG trouble.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

I can think of a couple of people I will order the boxed set for.........if only.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, eight bits said:

If any dog goes to hell, then the rest of us are in BIG trouble.

Awwww now that movie 

All dogs go to heaven is only for certain animals?

What did there dog do to go to hell? 

OMG did there dog commit doggy genocide against a whole bunch of chihuahuas?:blink:

• Haha 3

This is definitely another Blair Witch tactic to sell tickets (or DVDs). 

It’s not an old movie, only filmed to look old. The kid in the movie is still very much a child not a grown adult. 

• Like 2

its that same bs like the guys behind alien autopsy still saying the make up man copied the alien from the real film too degraded to show.

wasnt the whole watch this you will die played about 10 years back on some blair witch style pos of a found vhs tape...what was its name...:whistle:

Reminds me of this :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarette_Burns

Starring Norman Reedus 

"He is hired by an old cinephile, Mr. Bellinger (Udo Kier) to find the only existing print of a rare 30-year-old movie titled, La Fin Absolue du Monde (French: The Absolute End of the World). The film supposedly has supernatural power to anyone who views it which led to a homicidal riot during its premiere at the Sitges Film Festival, after which it was destroyed."

• Like 2

11 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Reminds me of this :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarette_Burns

Starring Norman Reedus 

"He is hired by an old cinephile, Mr. Bellinger (Udo Kier) to find the only existing print of a rare 30-year-old movie titled, La Fin Absolue du Monde (French: The Absolute End of the World). The film supposedly has supernatural power to anyone who views it which led to a homicidal riot during its premiere at the Sitges Film Festival, after which it was destroyed."

So are concerts by 'The Who' cursed then? 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 8:06 AM, AstralHorus said:

Lmao, real question is... why did the dog go to hell?? Sounds like to me he should stay there. Like hes kujo or something xD

That was my question. Dogs don't go to hell.  :lol: