Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First ever black hole image released

Still Waters

wow....

500 million trillion KM away.......mind blowing 

Edited by quillius
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, quillius said:

wow....

500 million trillion KM away.......mind blowing 

55 million light years makes more sense.

But it's still amazing, that the light we see on the photo, is 55 million years old!

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

@danydandan I finally figured out what radiation they used to make the picture: X-rays!

Oh, I thought you asked what radiation was captured in the image.

Just now, danydandan said:

Oh, I thought you asked what radiation was captured in the image.

That's what I wanted to say! Almost. They observed/detected x-rays from M87, and made a picture from that.

1 minute ago, sci-nerd said:

That's what I wanted to say! Almost. They observed/detected x-rays from M87, and made a picture from that.

Ah ok.

Still sad that Hawking's wasn't alive to see this. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Ah ok.

Still sad that Hawking's wasn't alive to see this. 

Yes indeed. Nobody would have appreciated it more than him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

55 million light years makes more sense.

Indeed.

No reply necessary ,  I was just trying to comment and section off pieces of a quote, which works by placing cursor and blasting the enter key.  Again no reply necessary.

But it's still amazing, that the light we see on the photo, is 55 million years old!

Could be that an even bigger one has eaten everything,

but not our area with our little galaxy.

Its just that the light is so blessidly slow HA! , it hasn't shown us that yet and in a few years we`ll suddenly know.

Eeeh kind of a far reaching joking concept thought.  We might be like blurry vision slugs on the bottom of the sea.  If a fish swam over, looped back and down to eat us, by the time we noticed a change in the light and the shadow passing over... the end. 

Recap: Again no reply necessary.  Laterzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by MWoo7

The image of the black hole was made from radio waves. Specifically, radio waves of 1.3 millimeters wave length ( 230.6 GigaHertz) That's several hundred times the frequency use for television broadcasting, and, so, several hundreds of times shorter in wavelength. X-rays do not penetrate the Earth's atmosphere, so can not be used by a ground-based system like the Event Horizon Telescope.

I was heartened to learn that data were also taken for the black hole at the center of our galaxy. These are still being analyzed, as the image is more difficult to interpret than that of M87.  The astronomers expect to provide an image of our own galaxy's black hole soon.

This should prove very interesting, given preliminary findings, announced a couple of months ago.  At that time it was said that it appears that an astrophysical jet from 'our' black hole is nearly aimed at Earth, instead of upward and downward through the galactic plane. This latter configuration is consistent in other galaxies with black holes with astrophysical jets.    

Edited by bison
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bison said:

The image of the black hole was made from radio waves. Specifically, radio waves of 1.3 millimeters wave length ( 230.6 GigaHertz) That's several hundred times the frequency use for television broadcasting, and, so, several hundreds of times shorter in wavelength. X-rays do not penetrate the Earth's atmosphere, so can not be used by a ground-based system like the Event Horizon Telescope.

I was heartened to learn that data were also taken for the black hole at the center of our galaxy. These are still being analyzed, as the image is more difficult to interpret than that of M87.  The astronomers expect to provide an image of our own galaxy's black hole soon.

This should prove very interesting, given preliminary findings, announced a couple of months ago.  At that time it was said that it appears that the astrophysical jet from 'our' black hole is nearly aimed at Earth, instead of upward and downward through the galactic plane. This latter configuration is consistent in other galaxies with black holes with astrophysical jets.    

I have a reliable source saying microwaves. You say radio. Another source says x-rays. Dammit it's confusing! :wacko:

6 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

I have a reliable source saying microwaves. You say radio. Another source says x-rays. Dammit it's confusing! :wacko:

Microwaves are radio waves, specifically those between wavelengths of 1 meter and 1 millimeter (300 MegaHertz and 300 GigaHertz). Black holes also emit X-Rays, but those did not figure in the new black hole image. The confusion is natural. Technical details like these are often omitted or glossed over in journalistic accounts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bison said:

Microwaves are radio waves

Hmm... My microwave oven never plays music.Maybe I should get a refund?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Before television and radio relay satellites became common, it was normal practice to send programs over microwave beams, from one relay tower to another, across the countryside. 

And inside that black hole is another universe. A universe in which another group of humans are looking at an almost exact copy of that black hole, which also has a universe in it....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2