Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Revelations talks about climate change

trevor borocz johnson

9 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Does this not backup what I originally claimed?

No, it does not.

Rabbi's the world over can spend hours debating the context of a particular passge in the Torah. Yes, just like the Christian bible, wherein everyone can find their own interpretation of particular verses.

This in no way supports your assertion that the passages in the Torah/bible mean the opposite of what is considered the standard interpretation.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

No, it does not.

Rabbi's the world over can spend hours debating the context of a particular passge in the Torah. Yes, just like the Christian bible, wherein everyone can find their own interpretation of particular verses.

This in no way supports your assertion that the passages in the Torah/bible mean the opposite of what is considered the standard interpretation.

My original claim was: " they have found that many passages of the Bible in the original language can be translated another way."  And that link DID verify what I said.

One that caught my eye was the one where he slew all the first born of the Egyptians. It was translated to read, "I didn't slay a single one." That was one of the Scriptures from the original website I found, that I did not care to find because it was so long ago.

And I am done debating with you. You already called it outrageous and nonsensical, meaning: Your mind was already made up to dismiss it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

It was translated to read, "I didn't slay a single one." That was one of the Scriptures from the original website I found, that I did not care to find because it was so long ago.

So, the entire Jewish faith mis-interpreted their own holy book, in their native tongue?

Go to any Hebrew congregation, ANYwhere on the planet. I seriously doubt that any person learned in the Torah will agree that your interpretation is correct. It sounds like a very poor attempt to whitewash the nature of your god.

But, you do you and enjoy your faith. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

So, the entire Jewish faith mis-interpreted their own holy book, in their native tongue?

Go to any Hebrew congregation, ANYwhere on the planet. I seriously doubt that any person learned in the Torah will agree that your interpretation is correct. It sounds like a very poor attempt to whitewash the nature of your god.

But, you do you and enjoy your faith. 

O.K. Thinking back over 10 or 12 years from when I first found it on that website, I apologize for one thing. It wasn't the entire scripture:

Exodus13:15                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      And it came to pass, when Pharaoh would hardly let us go, that the LORD slew all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both the firstborn of man, and the firstborn of beast: therefore I sacrifice to the LORD all that openeth the matrix, being males; but all the firstborn of my children I redeem.

It was within that scripture that certain words could be translated " I didn't slay a single one."

Edited by South Alabam

On 4/14/2019 at 2:37 PM, and then said:

Some may, I didn't.  I don't feel the need to prove He exists or to convince anyone against their will to believe what I believe.  That isn't my responsibility.  Here's the essence of what I believe is coming in this generation.  We're going to see events transpire that will clearly fit scriptural predictions from long ago.  The Ezekiel war in Israel, for example.  Russia, Iran, Turkey and a coalition of other Muslim nations come against Israel and are decimated in a way that can only be described as supernatural.  5/6 of the forces will die and the nations that sent them will be devastated by fire from the heavens. 

That prediction is very clear in its detail of who, what and where.  If we see those things happen and people who are made aware of the predictions still scoff or dismiss it then they've made a choice.  We all have to make a choice about what we believe.

Nevermind the fact that most conservative fundamentalist Christians like yourself support foreign policies in that region that actively seek to make these "predictions" or "prophecies" become reality. 

That's what really irks me about this sort of crap. You want to keep talking about biblical prophecy while actively trying to make it come true. Last I checked, if it's a real prophecy then you shouldn't have to do Jack s**t, it'll just happen on it's own. Otherwise it ain't a prophecy, it's just a policy.

3a1f56e.jpg

Edited by Aquila King
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 7:24 PM, Podo said:

It's less that revelations itself is doomy (though it clearly is if you aren't a Christian) and more about those who constantly screech about the end times. Every generation since the foundation of Christianity has had its host of preachers claiming that the end was nigh. It's never been nigh. Nothing is nigh. You'd think they would give it a rest by now, but noooope. I feel the same way about other doomsday claims as well, of course; end-time nutters are annoying totally regardless to their chosen apocalypse. The 2012 end-of-timers were way worse than Christian doomsayers, since the Christian ones generally stay out of the public eye.

As an amusing anecdote, there's a crazy guy in my city that constantly has various end-of-world signs. This is the only good photo I could find online. He's wack, but his signs can be amusing:

58qA19j.jpg

Its always entertaining to buy the crazies a cup of coffee and listen to their reasoning lol

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

Its always entertaining to buy the crazies a cup of coffee and listen to their reasoning lol

I talked to him once. He's a pretty run-of-the-mill Christian nutjob. He is convinced that David Suzuki is sent by the devil.

21 hours ago, South Alabam said:

And it came to pass, when Pharaoh would hardly let us go, that the LORD slew all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both the firstborn of man, and the firstborn of beast: therefore I sacrifice to the LORD all that openeth the matrix, being males; but all the firstborn of my children I redeem.

It was within that scripture that certain words could be translated " I didn't slay a single one."

"and it came to pass, that the LORD..." but he slew not a single first born?  Me thinks you grasp at the straw that the Hebrews were denied...

On 4/15/2019 at 6:55 AM, Rlyeh said:

According to Genesis he doesn't.

Interesting take.  Can you please explain?

On 4/14/2019 at 8:21 AM, Horta said:

Are you saying god is going to punish humanity, because they are proud or something? Why would he do that?

Yes, that's what I'm saying.  That's what He says in His word.  Pride is one of the worst transgressions humans are capable of and it is seen by most people as a positive thing in life.  There's a difference between feeling satisfied with accomplishments and jobs well done and being arrogant in one's own self-sufficiency.  Think of it this way.  Your child becomes arrogant about some ability they've found and they begin to be careless and do foolish, dangerous things.  Would you simply stand back and watch them come to harm?  Most parents wouldn't if the harm was going to be serious.  You'd try to give them instructions on how to avoid all that and live a happy, prosperous life.  

On 4/14/2019 at 7:22 PM, Horta said:

No one.

I inferred it both from the comments of @and then (it will happen because we are too "proud") and also the quoting of ezekiel by @South Alabam (it will happen, but not because of climate change) who both agreed that these hailstones are possible, if not a certainty. I'm open that the the error could be my interpretation though. If they clarify it, I'll have no problem with being wrong.

No, you understood what was said.  Agreeing with it is optional but won't change what happens, IMO.  As to how they are formed, I have no idea.  But if a hailstone's formation in nature is the model, there would have to be some VERY serious weather going on to form any that size.  

47 minutes ago, and then said:

No, you understood what was said.  Agreeing with it is optional but won't change what happens, IMO.  As to how they are formed, I have no idea.  But if a hailstone's formation in nature is the model, there would have to be some VERY serious weather going on to form any that size.  

Hi And then

A single snowflake is heavier than air so for 100 lbs hailstones to form would require gravitational losses.

jmccr8

5 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi And then

A single snowflake is heavier than air so for 100 lbs hailstones to form would require gravitational losses.

jmccr8

It's definitely a Fortean mystery.

http://www.weatherimagery.com/blog/chunks-ice-fall-sky/

• Like 1

I don’t see climate change in the Book of Revelation per se, but there is a specific warning for those who harm the Earth 

For example, NASA was targeted during the 2nd Bush Administration, and all three of their top bases took direct strikes by historic tropical systems in only 3 years.

6 hours ago, and then said:

Interesting take.  Can you please explain?

How does God create the universe according to Genesis?

On 10/04/2019 at 6:38 PM, trevor borocz johnson said:

Revelation 16:21 
"From the sky huge hailstones, each weighing about a hundred pounds,

how did they weigh them?

41 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

It's definitely a Fortean mystery.

http://www.weatherimagery.com/blog/chunks-ice-fall-sky/

Hi Hammer 

Thanks, I had never heard of ice chunks that size before. Up here we get a lot of hailstorms every summer and have seen them the size of golf balls and I live near the mountains now yet back home I could go years without seeing any hail although 20 miles from where I lived in one area a friend of mine would seed his crop and get hailed out every year.

jmccr8

On 4/16/2019 at 11:19 AM, South Alabam said:

O.K. Thinking back over 10 or 12 years from when I first found it on that website, I apologize for one thing. It wasn't the entire scripture:

Exodus13:15                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      And it came to pass, when Pharaoh would hardly let us go, that the LORD slew all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both the firstborn of man, and the firstborn of beast: therefore I sacrifice to the LORD all that openeth the matrix, being males; but all the firstborn of my children I redeem.

Do you think it may have been the ending ...but all the firstborn of my children I redeem that may have the translation  I didn't slay a single one fitting in there somewhere?

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Podo said:

I talked to him once. He's a pretty run-of-the-mill Christian nutjob. He is convinced that David Suzuki is sent by the devil.

I have had one who was convinced he was Jesus and living in the Matrix.

I found out a few months later he had been sectioned after going into a church and declaring himself to be Christ.

• Like 2

On 10/04/2019 at 6:38 PM, trevor borocz johnson said:

Revelation 16:21 
"From the sky huge hailstones, each weighing about a hundred pounds...."

Why has nobody thought of the, to me, obvious?

Comets.

They would more accurately fit this "prophecy" rather than climate change, no?

It's certainly a no more outlandish theory.

The largest recorded hailstone in the U.S. was nearly as big as a volleyball and fell on July 23, 2010, in Vivian, South Dakota. It was 8 inches in diameter and weighed almost 2 pounds. 

The problem with even larger hailstones, and certainly those weighing over a hundred pounds, is there is no known or observed mechanism of air displacement supporting such a phenomenon. There are, however, possible ways that this could happen. For example, if a meteor of sufficient size slammed into a body of water, large amounts of water could be thrown up into the atmosphere, where they could freeze and then fall back to the earth. This may have actually happened in the recent past, where the Carolina Bays are the possible result of something similar. If the water is thrown too high into the atmosphere, then the water would simply evaporate, but if it's thrown low enough, and at low enough velocity, then this could result in hailstones of this size.

This actually makes some sense, given that there is plenty of other evidence in the Bible of the Heavens shaking around this time, and then the earth following suit. It's an intriguing connection, which doesn't appear in the previous plagues of Egypt, per se. This is a new type of plague, actually, and I would argue suggests that the observer, indeed saw something new, which he described the best way he could. It also suggests that perhaps the writer is not simply relying on the Old Testament to formulate his account.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, revrickyb said:

Comets.

Ah, but you fail to understand that if a 2,000+ year old story says that it's supposed to happen, then that's the way it's gonna happen!

I've had "true believers" tell me that if Jesus shows up for the Second Coming, in any other way than that described in the Book of the Apocalypse, then it is not Jesus, but Satan.

Apparently, God can do anything, except contradict the Bible...

God can do anything he wants. But that, he does not do.

Long ago (apparently) he decided to limit what he will do. That's why the universe and everything that exists in it, has its limits. The rules and laws he decided on, govern what will be done.

But nonetheless, there is a contradiction. 

Within this universe of limits, order and predictability, he allows one of his many orders of creatures (human beings) to exist on lowly worlds like ours where it's permitted for them if they desire, to literally do whatever they want.

A contradiction, being the exception.

Edited by Will Due

23 hours ago, revrickyb said:

Comets.

Comets don't fall like hail. Maybe a meteor shower, not a comet shower.  It says hail not a star or something else.