Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How One Tweet Can Ruin Your Life

Aquila King

It amazes me how addicted people are to social acceptance. For me it's the other way around. The more disagreement and rejection I encounter, the more I sense I'm on to something valuable.

Remember: People generally never prefer the truth. They prefer to have their illusions confirmed.

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Remember: People generally never prefer the truth. They prefer to have their illusions confirmed.

"Liars prosper" as my grandfather use to say.

1 hour ago, Aquila King said:

People should be allowed to be wrong and say something hateful and stupid from time to time. We've all said things online that are hateful, insensitive, and stupid from time to time. And we've all engaged in the public internet and social media shaming of other people who say hateful and stupid things.

TWIT-ter. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Oh I despise that rabid version of social justice. Not only does nobody deserve to have their life ruined by one statement (well I can perhaps think of a few very extreme statements that would allow for that, like somebody calling  to exterminate people they don't like), but it's undermining all the good aspects of political correctness and social awareness and I'm afraid that sooner or later it will cause a giant backlash that will catapult us back 20-30 years and suddenly it will be acceptable again to pick on minorities in a hateful way because nobody wants "that nasty ebil PC anymore".
It's literally no different from right wing nastiness and, frankly, only gives them ammunition.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

but it's undermining all the good aspects of political correctness

:lol:

Just now, OverSword said:

There is some good aspects, darling ;)

For instance, in my country 30 years ago, I would have had rocks thrown at me for showing affection in public.
Today, I could at least sue somebody about it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Orphalesion said:

There is some good aspects, darling ;)

For instance, in my country 30 years ago, I would have had rocks thrown at me for showing affection in public.
Today, I could at least sue somebody about it.

Sorry dear. :P I was joking.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Piney said:

TWIT-ter. 

****-ter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, Piney said:

TWIT-ter. 

****-ter.

WHAT? We can't put 

T

W

A

T

• Haha 6

8 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Sorry dear. :P I was joking.

It's alright. And don't worry, I can understand where that opinionis coming from and agree with it to some accept. It's supposed to be about fighting back against hate. Instead it's being misused to attack perfectly harmless things.

I can compare it to this: In the 1950s homosexuals were portrayed as evil child molesters. That's wrong.
In the  2000s there were many gay characters who were effeminate, but ultimately normal and often positively portrayed comic relief. I can laugh about those characters and think they have helped in normalizing the idea of gay people to the mainstream population.
And under some streams of current SJW, both of those examples are seen as equally bad....and that's bat****.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

FakeBook:lol:

Crackbook :yes:

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

Crackbook :yes:

Chav-book

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I just wish people would chill the hell out. I like youtube but the garbage they recommend me sometimes, you'd think everything was a crisis. 

• Thanks 2

This is great, can we move it to the games section?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

youtube 

Boob-tube.

Just seeing if it goes through the snowflake .filter

• Haha 3

:tu:

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Well we could make a thread there about thinking up obscure swear words/slurs to see whether they pass?
Like so:
Strumpet!

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Orphalesion said:

Well we could make a thread there about thinking up obscure swear words/slurs to see whether they pass?

Strumpet!

T

W

A

T

Is not a swearword, when did that happen?

Its always been an adjective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

T

W

A

T

Is not a swearword, when did that happen?

Its always been an adjective.

Isn't it just the British version of the c-word? like describing the same part of the female anatomy?

So....the thread could be about all sorts of obscure "naughty" words to see whether they pass the censorship?
Let's see if it works in other languages:

Muschi!

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Isn't it just the British version of the c-word? like describing the same part of the female anatomy?

Not at all.

The c word is a swear word in England. And not a nice one at all.

T

W

A

T.

Is just an adjective to describe someone - who is being a ****. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

It's alright. And don't worry, I can understand where that opinionis coming from and agree with it to some accept. It's supposed to be about fighting back against hate. Instead it's being misused to attack perfectly harmless things.

I can compare it to this: In the 1950s homosexuals were portrayed as evil child molesters. That's wrong.
In the  2000s there were many gay characters who were effeminate, but ultimately normal and often positively portrayed comic relief. I can laugh about those characters and think they have helped in normalizing the idea of gay people to the mainstream population.
And under some streams of current SJW, both of those examples are seen as equally bad....and that's bat****.

In the 70's there was a show call Soap in which Billy Crystal played a gay character but was portrayed as "normal" (not effeminate) and in a comedy show full of weird and eccentric characters his was the most normal.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

In the 70's there was a show call Soap in which Billy Crystal played a gay character but was portrayed as "normal" (not effeminate) and in a comedy show full of weird and eccentric characters his was the most normal.

That sounds interesting! I'll have to check it out, thanks for the tip.
The Golden Girls also often portrayed gay characters as ordinary in the 1980s.
I really just cited the prevalence of gay comic relief in the 2000s as an example that, in my opinion is perfectly good fun, while the rabid parts of, for example Tumblr, lose their minds over how terrible such a portrayal is.

• Like 2