Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Spiritual Revelation That Turned One

Abilityperson

48 minutes ago, Abilityperson said:

I just thought it was interesting someone claiming to be a skeptic now is a believer, you all can poke fun of me, say I am this or that. Just thought it was interesting since skeptic's are so true to what they believe.

Sometimes a real good cold read will change their minds. Especially with a seeker who claims to be skeptical. I was raised a "worker" not a "believer" so I know how much of it works and I'm under the impression that this is just a book plug too. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

Sometimes a real good cold read will change their minds. Especially with a seeker who claims to be skeptical. I was raised a "worker" not a "believer" so I know how much of it works and I'm under the impression that this is just a book plug too. 

Suggestion, a subconscious desire to believe, with the results of a self fulfilling prophecy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Suggestion,

My favorite "idea" to work with. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Piney said:

My favorite "idea" to work with. :)

Suggestion works. A rumor has more power than a midnight curse. Especially if you've got some occult "street cred".

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Piney said:

When I'm done with you. you'll look like this guy......

385_41.jpg

Lol! $400 well spent. It looks like I’ll be well fed too. 

I would wear that to a party for sure. 

6 hours ago, Abilityperson said:

I just thought it was interesting someone claiming to be a skeptic now is a believer, you all can poke fun of me, say I am this or that. Just thought it was interesting since skeptic's are so true to what they believe.

You should be sceptical when believers claim that they are sceptics abruptly turned believers. It’s always like: But we’re you really a sceptic?

Most of them sound like they were already believers but just thought they were more sceptical.  

She was going through an emotional time in her life, the way she talks about her body language sounds like it would have been easy for someone to read her. And the Prince Harry stuff; we’ll he’s a word of the day. So it’s probably a 50/50 for ‘psychics’ if someone likes him or not. 

Also, would you say 6’5 is a lot taller than 6’1.23? Probably not. 

I’m sceptical of her supposed sceptic past. And there’s really nothing compelling in that article. Certainly not worth buying the book.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Abilityperson said:

Many skeptics aren't immune to irrational thinking.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Cold readings are the trick of the trade.

That’s just it for me, is the ‘psychic’ reading trick proof? 

16 hours ago, Piney said:

I told you you have to drum and chant in your loudest voice 3 times a day until your arrested for disturbing the peace. Then your a Shaman. 

See above. You need to make your own cloak. There's plenty of roadkill around now. Possum is the most powerful. 

I would instantly react with that with, ‘ewwwwwwwww, I don’t think anyone would do that’ until I became aware of The is book. :o 

15 hours ago, Abilityperson said:

I really don’t think, anyone can lump sum any groups of people. Even in like minded groups, the individual outlooks will still show up. 

8 hours ago, Timothy said:

You should be sceptical when believers claim that they are sceptics abruptly turned believers. It’s always like: But we’re you really a sceptic?

Most of them sound like they were already believers but just thought they were more sceptical.  

She was going through an emotional time in her life, the way she talks about her body language sounds like it would have been easy for someone to read her. And the Prince Harry stuff; we’ll he’s a word of the day. So it’s probably a 50/50 for ‘psychics’ if someone likes him or not. 

Also, would you say 6’5 is a lot taller than 6’1.23? Probably not. 

I’m sceptical of her supposed sceptic past. And there’s really nothing compelling in that article. Certainly not worth buying the book.

I think my life mirrors that. Granted, I grew up secular, no reading and attending religious stuff, so believing anything in the orthodox religions is impossible for me. :yes:  Nothing being fed to me growing up, while I was immersed in seeing the natural world show how things in orthodox religions couldn’t possibly happen. 

But despite that, I was only an Athiest for a couple of years in my young adulthood. I grew into what I call my own unique belief system. I would think, that I wasn’t an all out skeptic growing up, because I feel like I experienced inordinary situations. Now, I can feel like it’s only with me, because I see it in my point of view. And I can see it as something I heard some here have said, that it’s more than likely born from a desire for it. But yet, I know I can’t expect to ‘share it’ , because of the nature of this particular belief, matching all beliefs in that it’s not something that is objectively shown. It can move than likely, be something of a practice nature, tricks and such to show it is true when it’s not. 

I also just think, that the point of view of skeptics to believers could be a black or white situation, there are different skeptics and different believers within the two black and while groups. And our own individual experiences would be to me, explain as to the different types of skeptics and believers. 

And that is making me wonder of the goal of the OP. It has been said in that, it is found to be interesting. I’ll grant that, but is it interesting in a personal view and wonder if others see it as that, or is there a message that is wished to be conveyed about how believers and skeptics are looked upon. Can one detect the difference between an experience that is really mysterious in nature to something that has a lot of tricks behind it to make it mysterious? Religion and beliefs for me, is something I think is more of a subjective personal thing, and I think a strong believer is grounded without pushing it on others. I obviously see that the woman in the article is going through it with a personal experience. So yes, her experiences make up her outcome. 

What is the point in displaying this person’s experience to others? The start of a thought provoking debate, or a wish for others to follow the woman in the article? 

23 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

In order to be a good "psychic" you need to be able to do a good cold reading, use subtle conversation manipulation (suggestion), and basically be a salesman. Because you're going to have to sell an idea to someone. Their belief, confirmation bias, and self fulfilling actions do the rest. Basically a con-artist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:
1 hour ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

In order to be a good "psychic" you need to be able to do a good cold reading, use subtle conversation manipulation (suggestion), and basically be a salesman. Because you're going to have to sell an idea to someone. Their belief, confirmation bias, and self fulfilling actions do the rest. Basically a con-artist.

I don’t doubt you on this. Despite using Tarot cards in the past, myself having the feeling and belief, that some can have the ‘sense’ of certain things, and such, I yet cannot see a ‘career’ ;)  in it, in the up front idea of it. I think those who I feel have a gift, I don’t think it’s something that can be ...... ‘exploited’ for purposes of making money. My point is that using it in itself as using gift to help people. I think that, because I think that whatever strong gift some have, I don’t think it’s enough to pass it as definitely to help people. I can see it, when those help in finding missing and suspects, but I always think it’s a little part of the big picture of finding people and things, because I do also think using objective talents mainly to do the job. I kind of like seeing, the psychics, as going to them as a last ditch effort. And even then, that should be reflected as it’s not the end all of well supported way to do it. I think that, because in itself, is not 100% reliable. 

Now, I often have seen the fine print, for entertainment purposes (only), on such things like maybe Tarot cards, (I think) and other stuff, so it makes me wonder if there is one goal behind the goal projected. A psychic helping you in the spiritual sense, when really its just entertainment..................... and of course to make money. I would compare it with the possibility of getting the correct answer along with assuming they got your info correct, to going to a super market and probably getting supposed food. I agree with you, I think it’s more of a show thing, and one has to be good at ‘the show’ over really knowing how to give evidences of out of the ordinary tidbits. I would also think, it’s a stressful job, because you can’t always trust you’re getting the right info, if you’re relying random tidbits to help someone. 

I have done many Tarot readings through out my life, and even them it could be seen strongly as something entertaining as well as wonder at how I read the cards and discuss someone’s life and goals. I have learned through the cards and the literature behind it, that it’s also in the knowing how one deciphers what the cards mean for a person in their reading. Is it really the correct deciphering. Annnnnnnnnd, I have been told that I was doing it wrong.  *shrugs*.  So, I can’t see it as a career choice. It’s not dependable. 

20 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I'm hurt. YOU charge me $1000 per lesson and it was 12 lessons. In the end all you did was give me a gold sticker that said, "I'm a real shaman now!"<_<

WHAT!!!???

I had to preform favours, very very dark and perverted favours. 

I guess @Piney likes you. 

Edited by danydandan
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Piney said:

When I'm done with you. you'll look like this guy......

385_41.jpg

I buy fireworks off the Indian Reservation here in WA.  One of the guys who said he joined the tribe, Marriage maybe,  was whiter than me.  Blonde green eyes.  He sort of looked like my dad who also thought he was Indian until I got him a my heritage genetic test.    But he had great fireworks.

19 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I'm hurt. YOU charge me $1000 per lesson and it was 12 lessons. In the end all you did was give me a gold sticker that said, "I'm a real shaman now!"<_<

At least you got the real shaman sticker.  All I got was a geeky T-shirt and a coffee mug.

Image result for tee shirt WTF

• Haha 3

On 4/11/2019 at 7:43 AM, Abilityperson said:

Now I know there will be backlash maybe on me for posting this. But please remember this site is called unexplained mysteries, and is for all minds, thoughts,beliefs, and disbelief. 

Thanks for posting.

I don't see anything particularly revelatory about this story. People have life-changing events and change their minds all the time, from atheist to theist and back again. There will always be people who dive head-first into crazy.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Podo said:

I don't see anything particularly revelatory about this story. People have life-changing events and change their minds all the time, from atheist to theist and back again. There will always be people who dive head-first into crazy.

Something like this just happened to to me.

I was in the shop on the way home from work and I wanted some crisps, chips or whatever you lot call them across the pond, I choose a bag of Doritos heat wave, picked it up and proceeded to go to the till, cash register for lot across the pond, but as I was walking I spotted a bag of Manhatten Cheese'n'Onion. So I changed my mind, imagine that eh and bought the Manhattan bag like a true sceptical shopper.

Edited by danydandan
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Something like this just happened to to me.

I was in the shop on the way home from work and I wanted some crisps, chips or whatever you lot call them across the pond, I choose a bag of Doritos heat wave, picked it up and proceeded to go to the till, cash register for lot across the pond, but as I was walking I spotted a bag of Manhatten Cheese'n'Onion. So I changed my mind, imagine that eh and bought the Manhattan bag like a true sceptical shopper.

I'm Canadian, I am perfectly bilingual between European English and our colonial vocabulary! We have chip shops here, we call the checkout area the till, the thing that water comes out of is the tap, and chips/crisps are interchangeable for the fried potato snack.

12 minutes ago, Podo said:

I'm Canadian, I am perfectly bilingual between European English and our colonial vocabulary! We have chip shops here, we call the checkout area the till, the thing that water comes out of is the tap, and chips/crisps are interchangeable for the fried potato snack.

I so admire you bilingual snacker types.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Many skeptics aren't immune to irrational thinking.

Sometimes skeptics are more irrational than the people they are trying to debunk.  :lol:

31 minutes ago, Podo said:

@jmccr8 and I have already established that Canadialand is an elaborate hoax. So I don't believe you. Lol.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

I so admire you bilingual snacker types. 

Snacks are serious business. I'll snack in ANY LANGUAGE, ANY CULTURE. BRING IT ON.

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

@jmccr8 and I have already established that Canadialand is an elaborate hoax. So I don't believe you. Lol.

Woah there bud, yer doin' me an injustice here. We're totally real eh? EH?! Keep talkin' like that and the Great Moose Council will be informed, and you don't want to see what happens when they get agitated.
It's just a strongly-worded letter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Podo said:

Snacks are serious business. I'll snack in ANY LANGUAGE, ANY CULTURE. BRING IT ON.

Woah there bud, yer doin' me an injustice here. We're totally real eh? EH?! Keep talkin' like that and the Great Moose Council will be informed, and you don't want to see what happens when they get agitated.
It's just a strongly-worded letter.

Thank God. 

I was cacking my jocs, that you might send over two or three grizzly bears. Three of them could wipe out Ireland. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I was cacking my jocs, that you might send over two or three grizzly bears. Three of them could wipe out Ireland. 

Grizzly bears love the Irish.  Great taste, less filling.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Grizzly bears love the Irish.  Great taste, less filling.

Literally the only thing I'm truly afraid of.

You can't run because they are faster than you. You can't climb because they can climb better than you. Your swim because they swim better and faster than you. You can't hide because they can smell you and smash what ever your in unless it's a bloody cold war bunger. If you somehow have a gun, loaded and ready to fire you have to hit it in the head or heart. If not you're dead.

Bloody love grizzly bears.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Literally the only thing I'm truly afraid of.

You can't run because they are faster than you. You can't climb because they can climb better than you. Your swim because they swim better and faster than you. You can't hide because they can smell you and smash what ever your in unless it's a bloody cold war bunger. If you somehow have a gun, loaded and ready to fire you have to hit it in the head or heart. If not you're dead.

Bloody love grizzly bears.

The Mandans told Lewis and Clark about a great bear they'd meet up river, but they were unconcerned. They were frontiersmen, they were excellent shots and had the most modern weapons and were sure the bear would present no problem. However, after a few encounters, they were not so complacent. They'd hit the bear four, five, six times, in the heart and in the head and they would keep coming. One bear chased a party into the river, another up a tree. Finally, they wrote in their journal: "I believe the curiosity of the men in respect to this creature is pretty much satisfied."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• The topic was locked