Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Britons would sell their best pal for £131k

Eldorado

"Figures showed that women would give up their BFF for just £106,000, while men were willing to settle at £180,000, putting the average sum at £131,000."

Full short report at Female First: https://www.femalefirst.co.uk/bizarre/brits-give-best-friend-131000-1191065.html

At the Ad-laden Daily Mirror: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/brits-would-happily-give-up-14281182

"But the results are not clear cut across the country, as the study found Liverpool to be the city with the 'least loyal mates', with residents admitting they'd dump their bestie for just £62,000.

And if you live in Glasgow, you can find some comfort in the fact that your closest mate would need as much as £200,000."

At Pretty 52 mag: http://www.pretty52.com/life/real-life-brits-willing-to-give-up-their-best-friend-for-just-131000-20190410

• Haha 4

For 131k.... I would slot him and his whole family.. 

• Haha 4

I'd give up all my current friends for 100k :D Soon get plenty more!  Most of them I don;t see from one year to the next anyway ....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

However, I wouldn't lie for them (well, not in any serious way) and always offer honest and frank advice and help in any way I can under any circumstance.

• Like 1

For 200k they're yours :-D

• Haha 4

Friendships come and go.  Even best friends.  I would never cut them out for money.  This entire study, to prove to us what a bunch of **** heads we are, is shameful.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Friendships come and go.  Even best friends.  I would never cut them out for money.  This entire study, to prove to us what a bunch of **** heads we are, is shameful.

Agreed. Plus the question is very vague. "giving them up" In what way? Are we being offered money to sell them into slavery? Are we being offered money to do something mean to them so that they won't talk to us anymore?
The first one is completely amoral, while in the second one you're not just selling your friendhsip, you're also selling your own dignity and self-determination.

Plus, I don't know what people think. But 100k is not all that much.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Orphalesion said:

Agreed. Plus the question is very vague. "giving them up" In what way? Are we being offered money to sell them into slavery? Are we being offered money to do something mean to them so that they won't talk to us anymore?
The first one is completely amoral, while in the second one you're not just selling your friendhsip, you're also selling your own dignity and self-determination.

Plus, I don't know what people think. But 100k is not all that much.

I think it's just to cut them out of your life entirely.  Your relationships are the most valuable thing in life IMO.  This subject makes me feel stained.  Filthy.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If someone asked me how much I'd sell my best friends for, I'd offer to pay to have them taken away, but I wouldn't mean it. I don't think the people in the survey really meant it either. 

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I think it's just to cut them out of your life entirely.  Your relationships are the most valuable thing in life IMO.  This subject makes me feel stained.  Filthy.

And it still includes selling away not just your friendship, but your self-determination. Which is another big no-no.
The question isn't just about how much a friendship is worth, but for how much a person would sell themselves.

Unfortunately some people don't hold those things as very valuable.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

If someone asked me how much I'd sell my best friends for, I'd offer to pay to have them taken away, but I wouldn't mean it. I don't think the people in the survey really meant it either. 

I agree, I don't think the people in this survey meant it really.

The value of a true friend/friends is many times far more than the bond you have with your family, because we chose our friends. I would die for my friends and them for me, I would never sell them out and depending on what they did, I would lie for them also, like I said "depending on what they did".

Friendship is very important to me but sadly it doesn't mean the same to others who have lesser morals, self respect.... people in general disappoint me and that's why I hang out with dogs, they will never let me down.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

My best friend is my husband and i would not sell him.

As for others, (non family and certainly not my dogs ) if i can get the rights to own my friends to be able to sell them, then it would depend on how i am feeling that day, how badly i need the money and who is offering to buy them and would i need to give the buyer a receipt as i do not do returns, even if they are faulty or damaged.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

people in general disappoint me and that's why I hang out with dogs, they will never let me down.

I was at a boot sale a couple of years back, i had our westie  with me and my husband had our cocker. Two young teenage pikies (irish gypsies) were sitting on a bench and one said to my husband "ya wanna sell ya dorg?" (thats my pikey accent) anyway, i swear i saw the look of 'kill' on my husbands face.

I piped in quick and said "they are never going to be for sale". My husband then remembered i was there as well as our two dogs and these lads were not worth going to prison over. 

The thought they even asked sickens me. 

Edited by freetoroam
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

I was at a boot sale a couple of years back, i had our westie  with me and my husband had our cocker. Two young teenage pikies (irish gypsies) were sitting on a bench and one said to my husband "ya wanna sell ya dorg?" (thats my pikey accent) anyway, i swear i saw the look of 'kill' on my husbands face.

I piped in quick and said "they are never going to be for sale". My husband then remembered i was there as well as our two dogs and these lads were not worth going to prison over. 

The thought they even asked sickens me. 

Sometime its not just individuals that have no moral standards, its bread into cultures.

• Like 3

People would sell their mothers for less than that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

For 131k.... I would slot him and his whole family.. 

Thanks pal!!!! :o

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

My stepfather use to sell the Mitchell Clan cheap cars. They would drive then till they died and come back for another. 

8 minutes ago, Piney said:

Humour doesn't come across too well in texts or posts.. I guess I should familiarise myself with the emoji things lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have always said that when I win the lottery, I'll buy a whole new set of much better friends... :)

Frankly, I'd expect to pay less than the figure mentioned, so I definitely wouldn't be a buyer of those (clearly high-maintenance) ones...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Piney said:

You and I know only too well how friends will sell you out, I fell out with Chief Mark and the tribe when you were inside, then got stabbed in the back by those we though were close to you... Paddles upstream and his gun toting mate, Paddles upstream even offered me to stay with him if I could get across the pond... He literally took your identity.. We live and learn Bro.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, freetoroam said:

My best friend is my husband and i would not sell him.

Yuk. Pass the bucket!

:whistle:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Piney said:

My stepfather use to sell the Mitchell Clan cheap cars. They would drive then till they died and come back for another. 

Sorry Piney, you have completely lost me. Am i missing the connection with Mitchell Clan cheap cars etc and a pikey wanting to buy my cocker spaniel?

I googled Mitchell Clan and its not an Irish gypsy family, so i am thrown.

Unless you were just telling me a cool story, then thats cool, sorry, i just got lost with any connection.:wacko::D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

I googled Mitchell Clan and its not an Irish gypsy family, so i am thrown.

It's one who works the New Jersey Shore towns. They claim they're T'gani (Pikey).  

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, acute said:

Yuk. Pass the bucket!

:whistle:

Lol, yeah ok, tis a touch. But remember we live in a confined space and have to work as a team when living on a boat.

Do like it or not, we got to get on. :D

I love my son and family. But as for other people, i prefer my dogs.

All other folks are aquaintances to me, they come and go, or rather i do, especially when living on the river and canals. 

But i would not sell you, no way could i live with myself knowing you could end up in an tin as hedgehog soup (slightly salted and seasoned with no added preservatives, may contain nuts ) . 

• Sad 1