Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient Village Found Under Illinois

schadeaux

DAMIANSVILLE, Illinois (AP) -- Digging crews have found hundreds of 1,200-year-old stone arrowheads and pottery fragments buried under an Illinois hillside.

The discovery near this village about 35 miles east of St. Louis represents an important archaeological find, said Brad Koldehoff, a state archaeologist.

"It's a significant site. They discovered a keyhole-shaped house and what appears to be a small village," he said.

The Story

Anyone from Illinois or thereabouts hear of this?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kismit

• schadeaux

• Sageghost

• orcafresh

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow I love archealogical stuff . Nice find Shadeaux .

It would be great to see some close ups of the artifacts found .

Thanx for the link.

Thanks for that schadeaux! I love this sort of stuff, particularly if it relates to pre-historic Americans.

By the way, if you're after a GREAT read I thoroughly recommend the 'People of the Wolf' series of fictional novels set in pre-historic America. The authors are Kathleen O'Neal & W.Michael Gear.

I think the most troubling aspect of this report is this:

The hillside where the artifacts were found last week was chosen for excavation because the landowner wants to sell its dirt to the state as fill for a nearby highway project. State law requires that an archaeological team search for artifacts and excavate any that might be found.

I find it very sad that any State can step in and remove things from a landowners property. That is just wrong. In fact, that is just thievery cut and dry.

On the larger topic of things buried... there are known lost civilizations in certain parts of the world on our planet. Why not Illinois?

huh.gif

They're still finding 'stuff' around Williamsburg and Jamestown

settlements here in Virginia.

I've always wondered how many residential areas were built before

any research or digging was done. So many farmlands were bought

and covered with houses, I can't believe every foot of it was checked

for artifacts first. unsure.gif

I used to live in Williamsburg and saw them move a house to uncover the foundation of a tavern they believed the Declaration of Independence was first read.. I was "assigned" to do a historical preservation review of the house they were moving, but I found the foundation much more interesting. No ghostly vibes tho..

Orcafresh, I recognize your point, but I think you undervalue the things we learn from archaeology. After all, that is only a temporary intrusion and will not prevent the owner from selling his dirt if he likes. The laws that govern the thing will have derived from Teddy Roosevelt, in any case, as fine a Republican as there ever was..

..oh yeah, I was having a walk around Jamestown when I stopped an obvious "archaeologist" and asked him what was new. He told me then that they thought they had found the postholes for the original Jamestown fort.. I think now that they have decided they really have. They were surprised because they thought it had been eroded into the river by now. But only a corner of it had, apparently.

My little sister in law is studying archaeology right now.. tho I think she has decided the actual practice of it is too boring to be borne.. too bad I didn't go into it when I was younger! I would have loved it.

Thanx Mystify . I ve saved that one to favorites.

Sage ghost I'll have to check that book out . Sound very interesting how prehistoric american are you talking ? I mean how far back does it cover ?

Hey Kismit,

There are 10 books in all, covering a wide time-period:

People of the Wolf - Paleo Indian

People of the Fire - Early Archaic

People of the Earth - Archaic/Woodland

People of the River - Mississippian

People of the Sea - Paleo Indian

People of the Lakes - Woodland

People of the Lightning - Archaic

People of the Silence - Pueblo

People of the Mist - Mississippean

People of the Masks - Woodland

They're fiction as far as the characters, but the authors use their archaeological knowledge to base the settings/way of life etc. I realise it may not all be 100% historically accurate but they're a great read.

Also for books set WAAAAAAAY back when we shared the Earth with Neanderthals, read The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M Auel.

Hope this helps.

bounce.gif

PS..Happy Birthday for the other day icon_mrgreen.gif