Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spontaneous Exorcisms

Chickadee1948

Thanks GlitterRose, 

Are you suggesting that I inadvertently stepped into the Abyss each time I saw a spiritual entity? I really don't know what happens when we suddenly and unexpectedly connect with the numinous, but it shakes up our energy field, and destabilizes the consensus reality that we are confined to live within. There are moments during my day when I intentionally try to connect with the divine (my higher self) in meditation, but these "extraordinary sightings" happened outside those meditations. But not randomly. 

I've visited (spiritually) something like an abyss that exists in me, but right now I'm trying to work with energy vorticies as a means of spiritual escape from here.

I had forgotten about Aleister Crowley's work. Thanks' for that. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

There is only one way that the things you call spiritual or demonic is real: If we are living in a simulation.

In such a scenario, we are toys for the makers.

I can actually support that, but I lack the evidence.

sci-nerd - welcome to the unacknowledged world of deeply powerful subtle energies.

I spent most of my working life in Health Physics, (radiation protection) in the nuclear industry. Our main role in academic/research institutions is to monitor areas of scientific research that use various forms of ionizing radiation to conduct their investigations. This position of "oversight" affords Health Physics people a good look at how science is conducted in labs and other facilities.

It's important to understand that today's science ONLY advances as fast as it can produce the right tools or instruments to probe and deconstruct the universe in order to see how it works. So the scientific movement is self limiting in a sense, because it is not creating the tools it absolutely needs to study the rest of the great unknown that is all around/in us. So you could say that science has picked all the low hanging fruit, and now it has stalled because it lacks a powerful guiding "imagination" to see how to deal with the rest of the unknown. Einstein excelled in the world of science because he worked with symbols rather than tools, and he learned how to harness his visionary imagination to probe the secrets of the multiverse.

FYI - The best scientific minds are attracted to research institutions that have the best research tools or instruments (research toys?). Science still uses a mechanistic approach to understanding life, which requires highly specialized tools: telescopes, microscopes, triple axis spectrometers, functional MRIs, computer reconstructions, to detect and grasp the natural forces around us. Without the right tools to study the lower end of the energy spectrum where the universe operates differently, science will remain stalled on the threshold of its greatest discoveries yet.. 

But there are independent scientists like Canadian physicist Bill Tiller, who studies and investigates subtle energies at Stanford U in the USA. He and his team are exploring methods of characterizing and quantifying these ultra soft energies with good success. They are invented "intention devices" to collect and store human subtle energies.

I sense that subtle energy scientists, who are currently held in disdain by traditional scientists, will cross these thresholds with courage, "where no man has gone before"...taking humanity to the next level of science.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2019 at 10:18 AM, Chickadee1948 said:

Many of us are drawn by simple curiosity to Edgar Cayce’s readings

He called Native Americans the "Red Race" and claimed they came from a non-existent continent in the Alantic. Then mixed with ancient Hebrews who also landed on the Gulf Coast.

He claimed the Adena-Middlesex Culture came from the Yucatan and migrated North. A mixture of the 2 above groups. The actually came out of the North ( Glacial Kame Culture) and migrated into the Ohio Valley. They spoke Proto-Central Algonquian. 

He claimed the Great Lakes were going to break and turn the Mississippi Valley into a inland sea.

He claimed Southern California was going to fall into the Pacific. It's actually pushing in and up.

He claimed he could cure breast cancer with a bloody rabbit skin and iodine causing more suffering and preying on the incurable..

He sent the Lindberghs  on a wild goose chase telling them their child was still alive. Preying on grieving parents.

He was nothing but a 2 bit con man. 

Edited by Piney
typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Piney said:

He called Native Americans the "Red Race" and claimed they came from a non-existent continent in the Alantic. Then mixed with ancient Hebrews who also landed in the Gulf Coast.

He claimed the Adena-Middlesex Culture came from the Yucatan and migrated North. A mixture of the 2 above groups. The actually came out of the North ( Glacial Kame Culture) and migrated into the Ohio Valley. They spoke Proto-Central Algonquian. 

He claimed the Great Lakes were going to break and turn the Mississippi Valley into a inland sea.

He claimed Southern California was going to fall into the Pacific. It's actually pushing in and up.

He claimed he could cure breast cancer with a bloody rabbit skin and iodine causing more suffering and preying on the incurable..

He sent the Lindberghs  on a wild goose chase telling them their child was still alive. Preying on grieving parents.

He was nothing but a 2 bit con man. 

Piney - nothing you have said in your message has any relevance or value to the conversation that is unfolding here. Could you and Xeno please back off from my post for a few days and allow others to weigh in with their comments, before you force the moderator to shut down this post, the way you forced the shut down of my last post.

Con men eh? Edgar Cayce was not a con man, but a great distance healer who helped thousands of clients with compassion and very little compensation. How many clients have you healed? I'm on to your con my friend. I see how you try to dominate this forum by attacking people you find threatening, with your mostly irrelevant, cut and paste information that passes for wisdom. Leave me alone.

As for con men you quite obviously are the con man on this board with so many false and irrelvant commentshere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chickadee1948 said:

As for con men you quite obviously are the con man on this board with so many false and irrelvant commentshere.

I'm a known here. There is pictures, a business page, a newspaper article with my bio all here and a lot of people know me personally. Your a unknown. Big time pot kettle award there. 

So are you saying I don't have a archaeology background from Rutgers and the U of Penn. and I'm not a former Cultural Resource Officer who handled the NAGPRA aspects of digs?

@Hanslune  @jaylemurph @Swede  @Harte  @Kenemet  All know who I am. 

Con men eh? Edgar Cayce was not a con man, but a great distance healer who helped thousands of clients with compassion and very little compensation. How many clients have you healed? I'm on to your con my friend. I see how you try to dominate this forum by attacking people you find threatening, with your mostly irrelevant, cut and paste information that passes for wisdom. Leave me alone.

I told you. I'm not a healer. I'm a maker of sacred objects and a handler of the ones found by archaeologists.

and he wasn't either. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

I'm a known here. There is pictures, a business page, a newspaper article with my bio all here and a lot of people know me personally. Your a unknown. Big time pot kettle award there. 

So are you saying I don't have a archaeology background from Rutgers and the U of Penn. and I'm not a former Cultural Resource Officer who handled the NAGPRA aspects of digs?

@Hanslune  @jaylemurph @Swede  @Harte  @Kenemet  All know who I am. 

I told you. I'm not a healer. I'm a maker of sacred objects and a handler of the ones found by archaeologists.

and he wasn't either. 

Demon be gone!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Chickadee1948 said:

Demon be gone!

Good luck with that! :lol:

• Like 1

Keep it civil please folks.

Nobody should be telling anyone else to leave the thread - the forum is open to all members, threads aren't owned by any one person.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

when i was a kid in the 70s i had a great aw of  Edgar Cayce, i thought wow he is amazing he has a gift, etc,

then as i grew older wiser and researched things i had interest in i learned very quickly cayce had no gifts he wasnt anything special past the way pt barnum was special, except barnum didnt try to avoid working.

piney only scratched the surface on cayces fails and his hits when investigated wernt really hits as we see the believers describe.

con man? well, he accepted $$$ for his "service" i dont care what label he placed on it like "tip" or "offering" he supported himself and his family and fairly lush lifestyle doing his thing which was a ruse so that is a description of con man to most.

now if a person wants to hail cayce and subscribe some gift to him he didnt have more power to them but in an open forum i will post my opinion on the guy and please try not to hate because i have a different opinion that you do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

So what is this simple thing called 'consciousness'?

It starts with two simple choices: darkness or light.
Then comes: something in the light/dark or nothing in the light/dark.
3rd is identifying and understanding "something".
The plot thickens when a second element is added.
We could go on for hours...

This is how qualia arises from basic preferences.
A preference is simply something chosen rather than something else, because it is more rewarding or interesting in some way.

• Like 2

Dear the13bats - Let's assume that you've ALWAYS worked hard all your life, to make a living, but it doesn't sound like you're going to die from your work. Cayce did. The thousands of readings he did, eventually wore him out so much that he died of physical exhaustion.

Cayce came from poverty, and during his career as an honest distance healer, his lifestyle remained fairly modest, and never approached "fairly lush levels". I respect the great work that he did for all of humanity, not just his own tribe. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

It starts with two simple choices: darkness or light.
Then comes: something in the light/dark or nothing in the light/dark.
3rd is identifying and understanding "something".
The plot thickens when a second element is added.
We could go on for hours...

This is how qualia arises from basic preferences.
A preference is simply something chosen rather than something else, because it is more rewarding or interesting in some way.

'Not  simple' was the point I made and I'll definitely stick to that after reading the above.

And even there you are not even getting at the 'hard' question. Who/what is the EXPERIENCER of that process? What is it that EXPERIENCES qualia?

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

'Not  simple' was the point I made and I'll definitely stick to that after reading the above.

And even there you are not even getting at the 'hard' question. Who/what is the EXPERIENCER of that process? What is it that EXPERIENCES qualia?

It could be an advanced machine. It could be a dolphin.

15 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

It could be an advanced machine. It could be a dolphin.

So the important part of us that actually experiences is then an advanced machine/dolphin/God/Brahman/etc..

And we say we are God/Brahman in my Advaita Vedanta (Hindu) school of philosophy and in the process of  learning that we are God through advancing spiritual awareness through these temporary finite forms. 

23 minutes ago, Chickadee1948 said:

Dear the13bats - Let's assume that you've ALWAYS worked hard all your life, to make a living, but it doesn't sound like you're going to die from your work. Cayce did. The thousands of readings he did, eventually wore him out so much that he died of physical exhaustion.

Cayce came from poverty, and during his career as an honest distance healer, his lifestyle remained fairly modest, and never approached "fairly lush levels". I respect the great work that he did for all of humanity, not just his own tribe. 

its all subjective to how your point of view, and it appears ive done more real research on him than you have.

cayce was older than most in that era and had a stroke, most people of that time worked and died of heart attack or stroke, so could one say he died of exhaustion? sure, but my grandmother died in her early 90s a stroke too and was far from exhausted, 67 yos died they still do.

its reaching to say his readings killed him but even if they did its not a selling point of anything really, unless it shows his ego was so big it killed him, its a paradox to say he had this gift and didnt see his own demise so if he kept going it was an ego thing.

i dont consider the oh gee i came up poor as any big selling point either, i said fairly lush because his "centers" he opened were for the most part fails, but they were at times lush and his income came from handouts, they still do, like i said doesnt matter what label one places on a benefactor its in basic form a handout.

i far from see anything he did helping humanity, heck  he couldnt save his own kin.

all his epic fails are too much hurdle for me, his hits are vauge and made to fit, lots of embelishment to promote him lots of misinformation and out right lies, do some more research on him you will see.

On 12/04/2019 at 3:18 PM, Chickadee1948 said:

Many of us are drawn by simple curiosity to Edgar Cayce’s readings

i wouldn't say many, more like a very small handful

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

@Chickadee1948 You describe what you believe to be dark entities possessing people but you do not describe how to "liberate humanity" from them, you only describe how you have noticed something leave your body and enter someone else.  That is not a true exorcism, though I get that the spontaneous leaving of your body has to do with how you feel in the moment, but what about the others that it possesses?  It isn't really exorcised, just jumping from one to another, like a flea jumping from one dead dog to a live dog.

I would agree with you here, as would most people who are involved in exorcisms.  What is described is the action of a  "Seer" or 'Medium" rather than that of an exorcist and in fact the tale that's presented reminds me of the actions of the medium in the film, Rashomon.

Most cultures that have a belief in spirits have some form of exorcism or appeasement ritual that will banish the spirit.  In the modern world, the Japanese belief system probably has the best and most effective ways of dealing with dark spirits (as well as with cleansing the "evil nature" of a site or landscape.   Shamans of the Ainu and some other cultures of that area use something similar.

The Christian method is more of a brute force method than anything else.   The practices from which it derives (the Babylonian Talmud has a number of listed episodes of exorcism) is more similar to what Jesus did; the rabbi simply uses his authority to chase the spirit out of the person or occasionally uses something (like a ring with a seal) to drive it out.  (there's a really good article on it here: Geller, Markham J. "Akkadian healing therapies in the Babylonian Talmud." (2004).)

An interesting rabbit hole to fall down... and a digression.  However, I concur that what's happening in the story is more similar to the actions of a medium and not an exorcist or a shaman, who would not enter the body of another but who would use their authority (and possibly ritualistic devices) to persuade the spirit to leave either by helping it fulfill something or simply banishing it into another place or object.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

And a lot of us who were drawn to him subsequently left after being confronted with his many errors and failures.  I remember the "rising of Atlantis from the depths" with the "California will fall into the sea" fears in the 1960's. or China becoming fully Christian in 1968.  When that failed to happen, I started looking a bit deeper into his predictions, picking up older books (where the errors hadn't been erased to make his record seem better.)

Yep.  That was sufficient.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

I would agree with you here, as would most people who are involved in exorcisms.  What is described is the action of a  "Seer" or 'Medium" rather than that of an exorcist and in fact the tale that's presented reminds me of the actions of the medium in the film, Rashomon.

Most cultures that have a belief in spirits have some form of exorcism or appeasement ritual that will banish the spirit.  In the modern world, the Japanese belief system probably has the best and most effective ways of dealing with dark spirits (as well as with cleansing the "evil nature" of a site or landscape.   Shamans of the Ainu and some other cultures of that area use something similar.

The Christian method is more of a brute force method than anything else.   The practices from which it derives (the Babylonian Talmud has a number of listed episodes of exorcism) is more similar to what Jesus did; the rabbi simply uses his authority to chase the spirit out of the person or occasionally uses something (like a ring with a seal) to drive it out.  (there's a really good article on it here: Geller, Markham J. "Akkadian healing therapies in the Babylonian Talmud." (2004).)

An interesting rabbit hole to fall down... and a digression.  However, I concur that what's happening in the story is more similar to the actions of a medium and not an exorcist or a shaman, who would not enter the body of another but who would use their authority (and possibly ritualistic devices) to persuade the spirit to leave either by helping it fulfill something or simply banishing it into another place or object.

In the movie, The Fallen, an ancient entity called Azazel, moves in this way, ie: from host to host . 

In the movie, The Fallen, an ancient entity called Azazel, moves in this way, ie: from host to host . 

A movie is being presented as example now? Not that I believe in any of this, but presenting a movie as an example of anything is... extremely weak.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

The Priests of the Byodo-In and Shingon Priests use pure psychology, but they put it in such a way to the "haunted" it sounds like "words of woo". 

Edited by Piney
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dejarma said:

I was a member of Edgar Cayce Canada, and Edgar Cayce International is alive and well in many countries, with many thousands of members worldwide, so far more than a handful. As for his predictions, no psychic is 100 % accurate, because from the time a prediction is made, until the appointed time, many things can change to alter our consensus reality, and Cayce was aware of the flux of change.  

6 minutes ago, Chickadee1948 said:

I was a member of Edgar Cayce Canada, and Edgar Cayce International is alive and well in many countries, with many thousands of members worldwide, so far more than a handful. As for his predictions, no psychic is 100 % accurate, because from the time a prediction is made, until the appointed time, many things can change to alter our consensus reality, and Cayce was aware of the flux of change.  

lots of cults do have members.

no excuses are possible as by defination a real psychic if they existed would see the changes in advance and make the correct perdiction to start with, of course we could get lame and say a real psychic would edit their perdiction along the way but of course that makes them more a guesser than a seer.

at some point in you life you will get a headache...you heard it here first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

The Priests of the Byodo-In and Shingon Priests use pure psychology, but they put it in such a way to the "haunted" it sounds like "words of woo". 

That sounds intriguing?  Got a link?  I'm PowerPointing today (so.darn.boring!)