Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Koreans are 2yrs older at home than abroad

Eldorado

"People living in South Korea have two ages - but that could be set to change.

A politician in the ultra-modern Asian country is working to overturn a centuries-old tradition which sees babies become one-year-old on the day of their birth - and then get an additional year tacked on when the calendar hits January 1."

Full report at UK ITV news:https://www.itv.com/news/2019-04-12/tradition-that-sees-south-korean-babies-gain-extra-year-on-january-1-challenged/

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Eldorado,

This is my OCD talking but I can't help it right now.  I think it is 1 year from the day of conception, not the day of their birth.  A korean told me that, maybe she was wrong.

The the math in the title seems to be incorrect.  If your first year is counted as the day you were born that only  adds one year to the age that the rest of us use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is this something to do with time dilation and the theory of Relativity? 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

The the math in the title seems to be incorrect.  If your first year is counted as the day you were born that only  adds one year to the age that the rest of us use.

Apparently this too, to add the extra year:

an additional year tacked on when the calendar hits January 1."

But they can add on what they like, when ever they like, it still makes no difference to the real age. 

• Like 2

@freetoroam, right, it doesn't matter.  :) I counted my age backwards until I hit 20 the same year my daughter hit 20 so I know about that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

@freetoroam, right, it doesn't matter.  :) I counted my age backwards until I hit 20 the same year my daughter hit 20 so I know about that.

I stopped deducting years off my age  when i realised i was heading to being the same age as my son. :huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

I stopped deducting years off my age  when i realised i was heading to being the same age as my son. :huh:

I deducted years off to be the same age as my youngest dauther, we are both 37 this year.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I deducted years off to be the same age as my youngest dauther, we are both 37 this year.

You go girl. 

tenor.gif?itemid=3567986

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Is this something to do with time dilation and the theory of Relativity? 

You really should peruse the article.  It's a pretty interesting insight into their culture.  It occurred to me that if they had a tradition like this they might well frown on abortion and sure enough, it's illegal.  A court recently ruled that this law has to be amended by 2020 but for now, it's still against the law and both doctor and patient can face serious consequences except for rape, incest, and risks to their health. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47890065

When I turned 50 I started to count backwards.......I am 31 now and not confused as to my age plus or minus 1.

• Like 1