Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange Falling Stones in Raigarh, India

macqdor

Well I'm not say how good or how not good the night patrols are sitting half a world away.  I hate armchair quarterbacking.    Every scenario is different as are every case. 

This has all the markings of a stone throwing poltergeists.    Setup your Google alert monitoring to receive these type of news-feeds.  Not all are poltergeist related. Some are. That 1% to 3% of reported incidents annually.

You dont see the trend or similarities because you dont review all the cases.  Just the ones I present here

they wont solve this one.  They can't.  The stones being thrown are what make the poltergeist so enigmatic.  For those of us who believe in them that is.

@stereologist

Poltergeist believers seem to like to twist other posters by misrepresenting what others post. All they can see are poltergeists. They can't see out of their closed minded approach to the world.

No one stated it had to be monkeys. That was a possibility brought up because it happens in India, something the poltergeist fanatics scoffed at.

The article never states every rock was 2 kilos or more. Scoffers like to exaggerate things to scoff at prosaic alternatives.

Are children good at searching? Hardly ever. 

Was the situation so unimportant that children were sent to look while adults didn't bother? Yes, that is what happened.

• Like 3

wow monkeys throwing rocks that size?  Id hate to be on the receiving end.  they all look about the same size to me.

rocks.jpg

8 minutes ago, macqdor said:

wow monkeys throwing rocks that size?  Id hate to be on the receiving end.  they all look about the same size to me.

rocks.jpg

one of the Bronx chimpanzees—a former circus ape named Suzette—managed to pull 1,260 pounds.

https://slate.com/technology/2009/02/how-strong-is-a-chimpanzee-really.html

They are typically twice as strong was we are. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1

It's funny how armchair quarterbacks want to make everything, even if it is halfway around the world, something special instead of a simple story being a simple case.

What we do know is that stone throwing is common in that part of the world. Even the wildlife gets into the stone throwing. When trouble makers decide to throw stones at night it only means that a normal activity is occurring.

have you seen the monkeys in India?  Specifically the ones in this town?  

What we do know is that stone throwing is common in that part of the world. Even the wildlife gets into the stone throwing. When trouble makers decide to throw stones at night it only means that a normal activity is occurring.

random stone throwing yes. Meteor showers yes. Possibly.

Scheduled stone throwing. 7pm to 11pm one week straight? Of 2 kilo rocks?

show me that in nature LMAO

The idea that monkeys are incapable of moving rocks is pretty funny.  I posted a link in which monkeys killed a man with bricks.

Typically bricks weight 4 to 6 pounds. That is the weight range for the rocks shown. Seems someone should have checked the weight of bricks before blundering.

And the monkeys in the fatal attack were rhesus monkeys which are one of the smaller monkeys. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhesus_macaque

They adapt well to human presence, and form larger troops in human-dominated landscapes than in forests.

1 minute ago, macqdor said:

have you seen the monkeys in India?  Specifically the ones in this town?  

random stone throwing yes. Meteor showers yes. Possibly.

Scheduled stone throwing. 7pm to 11pm one week straight? Of 2 kilo rocks?

show me that in nature LMAO

Meteor showers reaching the ground are extremely rare and none of the rocks shown are meteorites. Keep dreaming (and doing that crazy person cackle).

The shocking thing about this incident is that no one can find who is throwing the stones and from where they are coming.

a country so prevalent with monkeys, would be ez to find.

all you need to do is one monkey lurking around

the article (the locals) doesn't even list Monkeys as a suspect.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  "Fishy"

Monkey gone rogue?

:ph34r:

Have I seen monkeys in India? Are you kidding? They are all over the places. They come into markets. They steal food.  They caused me to run down a street to keep my fruit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhesus_macaque

Although they are infamous as urban pests, which are quick to steal not only food, but also household items, it is not certain if the pair of jeans draped over the wall on the right is their handiwork.

Have I seen monkeys in India? Everyone sees monkeys in India. 

http://blogs.britannica.com/2009/08/monkeys-on-the-rampage-in-india/

• Like 2

The scientists conducted a series of tests on the transgenic monkeys, including MRI scans and memory tests, which showed that the monkeys had better short-term memory and faster reaction times than the control group. Their brains also took longer to develop, similar to that what occurs in humans.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/chinese-scientists-implant-human-brain-genes-into-monkeys_2877401.html

@stereologist

oops i stand corrected. LOL

Monkeys are so common that no one even notices them in India. It would be like mentioning pigeons or squirrels in the US.

The most shocking thing about this incident is that anyone pretends it is something mysterious. About the only person doing that might be someone promoting their personal hoax.

The failure here is not knowing what India is like and arguing from a position of personal ignorance. For example, are there monkeys to be seen? LOL.

There is nothing mysterious here. Only thing missing is catching the culprits and as other posters have pointed out the children sent to find the rock throwers were likely to be the culprits.

Monkey stories are so much fun.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8gdw5x/monkeys-are-taking-over-india

Spend about five minutes in New Delhi and you'll probably meet a monkey hanging above the entrance to a nicotine shop, attempting to insert its head up its own anus. Amusing for a tourist, sure, but it's become an increasingly worrying sight for locals.

During a recent visit by Barack Obama, men were hired to chase monkeys from his path with slingshots and broomsticks.

• Like 1

https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-07-20/delhi-s-30000-unruly-monkeys-steal-stuff-terrorize-people-and-even-kill

It’s hard to over-emphasize this point: India’s rhesus monkeys are derelicts. They regularly steal food, alcohol, glasses, medical equipment, and clothes. They even break into cars.

“We had lots of problems with monkeys,” the executive said. “We had to take steps after my maid’s young daughter was bitten by a monkey. People said to get a langur. But the monkeys mobbed the langur and beat it up. They’re not stupid — they outnumber the langur. 

• Like 1

No one said India didn't have monkeys. LOL

My argument for the 5th time: I dont link monkeys are a legit suspect as the article didn't call them out.  The locals nor the authorities never mention them (monkeys) as being possible root cause probably because they know better than we do.  I mean they do live there. Just a thought.

Just because monkeys are native to the country of India dont make them likely suspects.  Not this type of rock throwing. 5 days? 4 Kilos? 4 to 5 hours non-stop? Unseen. Unheard of?  

I don't think so.

The simple facts is that monkeys there are like pigeons and squirrels here. They are overlooked. Sometimes a short newspaper article doesn't cover its bases. Happens all of the time.

What is also clearly missing from the article is what the poster promoting a hoax is suggesting. "because they know better than we do.  I mean they do live there. Just a thought."

Then come the arguments from incredulity such as 5 days.

Then people don't read the article which states two kilos, not 4 kilos.

Another example is the non-stop falsehood.

The rocks are thrown at night. Unseen? It's dark out. Most of the places I went were dark at night. There were no street lights or lights outside of houses. Unseen? It's dark out.

I expect arguments from incredulity from those that have no understanding of the places they are arguing about.

Stone throwing in India is common as are monkeys. Both humans and monkeys throw stones. It's normal. It happens. Primates are also good feces hurlers.

Monkeys approaching means get out of the way of the rain of feces.

There is really nothing at all mysterious about a story of stone throwing in India.

Monkeys threw more than 20 bricks at Dharampal on Thursday.

Maybe this is the reason monkeys were not mentioned.

Chitwan Singh, station officer at Doghat police station, said: ‘How can we register the case against monkeys? This will make us a laughing stock.’

And of course the issue is this

Wildlife experts have said that rhesus macaques are usually to blame for monkey attacks on humans in India.

So if it wasn't humans that threw rocks then the the rhesus dacoits are a good candidate.

• Like 2

The rocks are thrown at night. Unseen? It's dark out. Most of the places I went were dark at night. There were no street lights or lights outside of houses. Unseen? It's dark out.

I expect arguments from incredulity from those that have no understanding of the places they are arguing about

I trust the locals. If monkeys were the likely suspect this wouldn't be a story except for this marvelous 7pm to 11pm on queue routine by Monkeys

I think the monkeys have already been ruled out as root cause.  Hence the reason why they are not mentioned.

Thats my guess.  Sorry Im not believing in intelligent, Rolex watch wearing monkeys  j/k

You might wonder if the rock attack was a lone incident. No.

https://www.*** blocked ***/news/world/623808/Monkeys-killer-priest-stoned

Officials in India’s Mirchai Gali region said the “nuisance” monkeys had now killed three people and added that women and children had also been attacked by the creatures brandishing stones.

Again death by bricks. Bricks weigh 4 to 6 pounds or 2 to 3 kilos. That is the size used in part of the attack in this thread.

• Like 1

I trust the locals. If monkeys were the likely suspect this wouldn't be a story except for this marvelous 7pm to 11pm on queue routine by Monkeys

I think the monkeys have already been ruled out as root cause.  Hence the reason why they are not mentioned.

So now we are back to forgetting that the time interval for the rock throwing is after dark.

Just verified that the rock throwing started at night fall.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/@1045266?month=3

No need for someone to have a watch. The Sun goes down. It is dark at 7PM and that's the cue to throw rocks.

Who needs a watch when the fun is related to the Sun.

The rain of stones starts at seven o’clock in the evening and continues until 11 p.m.

and ends at 11pm.    

for five to six days.