Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheist vs. Agnostic Label

onlookerofmayhem

6 hours ago, Will Due said:

Lol.

Oh stop splitting hairs. He preaches it.

Just like everyone else who "promotes" it.

I listened to the video and at best Matt explores the many variations/ shades of the meaning of Atheism, and Agnosticism. 

He isn’t saying anyone should be an Atheist, not even covertly.

He himself is comfortable with his version of Atheism and  grants the same respect to all others.

Matt is speaking about himself, period.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

A mystical dopamine high.

A misused and misunderstood word. It's actual meaning deflates it's apparent implication.

do·pa·mine
[ˈdōpəˌmēn]
NOUN
biochemistry
  1. a compound present in the body as a neurotransmitter and a precursor of other substances including epinephrine.

14 hours ago, Will Due said:

All of those things Matt Dillahunty preaches of how atheism is man's salvation.

Will, Matt says no such thing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

A misused and misunderstood word. It's actual meaning deflates it's apparent implication.

do·pa·mine
[ˈdōpəˌmēn]

NOUN
biochemistry
  1. a compound present in the body as a neurotransmitter and a precursor of other substances including epinephrine.

While it does act in motivating behaviors it also fine tunes motor skills, aids in balance, keeps muscles from spasming etc. One really sees the importance of dopamine in a person who has Parkinson’s and is on dopamine replacement drugs just to function.

I just happen to be enrolled in a nursing course about Parkinson’s due to a client I have right now. I had no idea how integral dopamine is to keep the body functioning. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Will, Matt says no such thing. 

Anytime anyone says anything to "sell" someone on the idea to convert to atheism, they're doing the same thing that a religious preacher does in the same circumstance. They're preaching the tenets of atheism. 

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Mysticism has always been quite effective in a self-indulgent, self-gratifying sort of way. It mirrors life and the pursuit of happiness. It's a personal experience, a shared experience, but only with those who want to experience and share it, the fractal geometry of souls.

https://youtu.be/kKP82AZ9zmE

But is mysticism an effective method of discovering answers behind natural phenomena?

16 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

do·pa·mine
[ˈdōpəˌmēn]

NOUN
biochemistry

Doesn't matter. Mysticism is nothing more than a neurochemical high. Only meaningful to the individual, meaningless otherwise.

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

Anytime anyone says anything to "sell" someone on the idea to convert to atheism, they're doing the same thing that a religious preacher does in the same circumstance. They're preaching the tenets of atheism. 

You do the same when you mention the UB. You're preaching and trying to convert people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Doesn't matter. Mysticism is nothing more than a neurochemical high. Only meaningful to the individual, meaningless otherwise.

Anything that has no meaning to the individual, has no meaning to the individual, anything. I suppose, for some, nothing is everything. For others, everything is nothing. I wonder, which is the happiest?

2 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

But is mysticism an effective method of discovering answers behind natural phenomena?

No, and you can't paint a masterpiece with a slide rule, either. (Unless your name is "Ross").

• Like 1

It always has to come down to happiness doesn't it. Happy, happy, happy. Might as well trip on a 1000 shrooms while attending catholic mass in order to get a mystical experience. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sherapy said:

While it does act in motivating behaviors it also fine tunes motor skills, aids in balance, keeps muscles from spasming etc. One really sees the importance of dopamine in a person who has Parkinson’s and is on dopamine replacement drugs just to function.

I just happen to be enrolled in a nursing course about Parkinson’s due to a client I have right now. I had no idea how integral dopamine is to keep the body functioning. 

Imagine giving birth without it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Will Due said:

Only if you don't know what any of those words mean. Critical thinking and education are the leading causes of atheism. Just because you can't conceptualize existence without a baseless belief in something doesn't mean that the rest of us can't.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Podo said:

Only if you don't know what any of those words mean. 

The wise preacher never wastes his time preaching to the choir.

5 minutes ago, Will Due said:

The wise preacher never wastes his time preaching to the choir.

"Wise" and "preacher" rarely go together.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

No, teasing out the antecedents of particular natural phenomena is the province of science, mysticism only exists because of the realisation that the rational approach cannot penetrate the mystery of why there are natural phenomena to be wondering about, in the first. The reason that religions exists, is because people realize that reason cannot answer such questions, organized religion depends on people accepting that others have "seen" the solution for them, it being a great work that is supposed beyond most. 

Edited by Habitat

24 minutes ago, Podo said:

I see you're beginning to understand what those who promote atheism look like.

34 minutes ago, Podo said:

I wonder if you will be reprimanded like I was....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Will Due said:

Yes I have. Your hypocrisy makes it impossible for you to see.

Stop trolling and flaim baiting me with your ludicrous questions about the obvious nature of promoting atheism. Which is to sway people towards disbelieving God.

Reported.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is all very tiresome to me. There is one and only one definition of "atheist". Atheist = not theist.

Theist is somebody who believes that one or more gods exist. Atheist is not that.

The "a" at the beginning of the word means "not". Not theist. Atheist does not mean believes that gods don't exist. Atheist means does not believe that gods do exist.

People who call themselves agnostics don't know whether gods exist. If you don't know if something exists, you don't believe that it exists unless you twist your brain into knots. Therefore, agnostic = atheist. People who say they are agnostics are atheists.

As for somebody's comment on "middle ground", that makes no sense. Theism is the belief in god(s). Atheist is the absence of belief in gods. What would be a middle ground for that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoldenWolf said:

I wonder if you will be reprimanded like I was....

Fingers crossed.

18 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Fingers crossed.

It was a fellow member that reprimanded me, lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blizno said:

This is all very tiresome to me. There is one and only one definition of "atheist". Atheist = not theist.

Theist is somebody who believes that one or more gods exist. Atheist is not that.

The "a" at the beginning of the word means "not". Not theist. Atheist does not mean believes that gods don't exist. Atheist means does not believe that gods do exist.

People who call themselves agnostics don't know whether gods exist. If you don't know if something exists, you don't believe that it exists unless you twist your brain into knots. Therefore, agnostic = atheist. People who say they are agnostics are atheists.

As for somebody's comment on "middle ground", that makes no sense. Theism is the belief in god(s). Atheist is the absence of belief in gods. What would be a middle ground for that?

Wrigley Field?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, XenoFish said:

It always has to come down to happiness doesn't it. Happy, happy, happy. Might as well trip on a 1000 shrooms while attending catholic mass in order to get a mystical experience. 

Yeah, happiness; you can always tell the one who ain't got it--or they'll tell you. For every SpongeBob, there's a Squidward. 

15 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Yeah, happiness; you can always tell the one who ain't got it--or they'll tell you. For every SpongeBob, there's a Squidward. 

I love Squiddy. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Haha 2