Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's largest plane by wingspan

Eldorado

The world's largest aeroplane by wingspan has taken to the air over the Mojave desert in California.

Video at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-47924204/plane-with-the-largest-wingspan-in-the-world-takes-flight

Report at Gizmodo: https://gizmodo.com/stratolaunch-worlds-largest-ever-plane-by-wingspan-su-1834027264

• Like 3

What an innovative approach to launching things into space.  I've read about anti-satellite missiles being launched from aircraft but I thought they were much higher when launched than 35,000 ft.  I grew up watching NASA missions and I remember the excitement of waiting for a Saturn V launch but these days the thing that impresses me the most is the sight of launch vehicles RETURNING for a powered landing.  That STILL amazes me.

• Like 5

Let's be honest, they've cheated a bit because it's actually two planes side by side so of course the wingspan is massive. :P

• Haha 2

I keep wanting to mentally connect the two tails, it does seem structurally unsound the way it is, but what would I know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can anybody tell me if they need pilots in both cockpits. Can�t find any mention of that.

1 hour ago, Susanc241 said:

Can anybody tell me if they need pilots in both cockpits. Can�t find any mention of that.

A while back, I watched a YouTube video about this, and they said the pilot/co-pilot are only on one side. Both sides can be loaded with cargo/instruments/people however.

• Like 1

At 35,000 feet, they are above 3/4 of the Earth's atmosphere. That represents a considerable savings in fuel and, so, rocket weight, required to fight upward through atmospheric drag.

The article doesn't mention it, but this plane can carry a payload of 400 tons (800,000 lbs.) ! :o

Edited by bison

On 4/14/2019 at 3:24 PM, bison said:

The article doesn't mention it, but this plane can carry a payload of 400 tons (800,000 lbs.) ! :o

another article did

This would make it the largest airplane, by wingspan, ever to fly. It will weigh in at over 540,000 kg (1,200,000 lb) including the fully fueled launch vehicle and will require a runway at least 3,700 m (12,000 ft) long. It can carry over 230,000 kg (500,000 lb) of payload.