Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Washington State democrats....

RoofGardener

I blundered across  an interesting story thismorning. Apparently Washington State has passed a law requiring anyone wanting to stand for election (including Federal elections such as House elections and the Presidency) must release their tax records for public scrutiny. If they don't do this, they won't appear on any voting slips in Washington State.

So a Presidential Candidate from Spigot, Arkansas, wouldn't be able to receive ANY votes from Washington state unless they had released their tax records first.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/434412-washington-senate-passes-bill-that-would-keep-trump-off-2020-ballot

Umm.. isn't this disenfranchisement ? Isn't this contrary to the Constution of the USA ?

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 7

I can't see how this could hold up.   This would open a can of worms in many states.   

If you do not open your bedroom night stand for random searches, you cannot be on the ballot.   

• Like 4

Washington State may have a say as to who can run for election in their state but they have NO RIGHT dictating the terms for candidates in a federal level election.

I'm the sure the Dems know all this.  We know what this is all about. They write laws just to get Trump. That's what the Dems call "equal protection".

• Like 5

Then Trump ought to write executive orders prohibiting states that have sanctuary cities unable to vote in Federal elections as they cannot ensure illegals do not vote. Seems fair.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Then Trump ought to write executive orders prohibiting states that have sanctuary cities unable to vote in Federal elections as they cannot ensure illegals do not vote. Seems fair.

Excellent stroke, SoAl!!   :clap:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Umm.. isn't this disenfranchisement ? Isn't this contrary to the Constution of the USA ?

Wouldn't have thought so. They're not stopping anyone running, they just won't print the name on their ballot papers. Voters could still write it in. 

2 hours ago, South Alabam said:

^This is disenfranchisement. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, South Alabam said:

I think it would need to be worded like this:

Then Trump ought to write executive orders prohibiting states that have sanctuary cities from being able to list any candidates on ballots.

• Like 1

My state is full of people with TDS, and this is just an attempt to ensure that the sitting president does not appear on the ballot in 2020.  There is no law in the nation requiring political candidates to release tax records, but most presidential candidates have done so.  When Trump refused (as is his right) peoples heads exploded.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think it would need to be worded like this:

Then Trump ought to write executive orders prohibiting states that have sanctuary cities from being able to list any candidates on ballots.

Does the federal government produce any ballot papers? 

1 hour ago, Setton said:

Wouldn't have thought so. They're not stopping anyone running, they just won't print the name on their ballot papers. Voters could still write it in. 

Oh please. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Setton said:

Does the federal government produce any ballot papers? 

Probably not.    I suppose other states could have candidates names removed from ballets for almost any reason they see fit.   I have to think both sides think this is crossing a line that shouldn't be crossed.    

Ummm... just a little bit ? It strikes at the very heart of representative democracy. 

Removing somebodies name from the ballot IS disenfranchisement. It is about the most dangerous and damaging thing you can DO to a democracy. 

Whoever controls the ballots, controls the elections. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, OverSword said:

My state is full of people with TDS, and this is just an attempt to ensure that the sitting president does not appear on the ballot in 2020.  There is no law in the nation requiring political candidates to release tax records, but most presidential candidates have done so.  When Trump refused (as is his right) peoples heads exploded.

Surely though you recognise it looks suspicious. I kind of get not releasing them during the campaign - if he lost, he'd still have a business to protect. But he promised he would if elected then went back on it. 

Why? 

4 minutes ago, Setton said:

Surely though you recognise it looks suspicious. I kind of get not releasing them during the campaign - if he lost, he'd still have a business to protect. But he promised he would if elected then went back on it. 

Why? 

I think a more pertinent question to this topic would be: Why has Washington State abandoned the Representation of the People just to "get Trump". 

Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Ummm... just a little bit ? It strikes at the very heart of representative democracy. 

Removing somebodies name from the ballot IS disenfranchisement. 

How is it? Like I said, they can still write a candidate in. They still have the right to vote for whoever they want. In other words, they still have franchise.

Do you really think, in this day and age, people won't know who's running unless the names are on the paper for them? IMO this is more a symbolic move to show the state expects transparency from elected officials. Which is also a cornerstone of democracy... 

Or is it that you're worried Trump supporters might struggle to spell Donald? 

OK, cheap shot... 

7 minutes ago, Setton said:

Why? 

Sure, it looks suspicious.    But it is not against a law.   Wash State and Illinois removing him from ballots for something that is legal is wrong.   You agree right?

Edited by Myles
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Setton said:

Why? 

regardless, it is not a requirement.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Setton said:

How is it? Like I said, they can still write a candidate in. They still have the right to vote for whoever they want. In other words, they still have franchise.

Do you really think, in this day and age, people won't know who's running unless the names are on the paper for them? IMO this is more a symbolic move to show the state expects transparency from elected officials. Which is also a cornerstone of democracy... 

So you would be OK with removing the dem candidate for nearly any reason put forward in the name of "transparency"?    Give up your phone records or else.    Let us search your house or else.   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Setton said:

Or is it that you're worried Trump supporters might struggle to spell Donald? 

OK, cheap shot... 

It makes it MUCH harder to vote for that candidate. C'mon Setton. It is a CLEAR infringement on voting rights, and a direct attack on US Democracy. 

Some people on this forum fulminate that Trump is bad for democracy, and is a 'dictator in waiting. But what the Democrats in Washington State have just done eclipses this ! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Yes indeed. Hillary got a greater percentage in her loss than Bill in either of his wins in your state. Still, your state is 6th in numbers, 8th as a percentage with regards Trump haters! :lol:

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

So you would be OK with removing the dem candidate for nearly any reason put forward in the name of "transparency"? 

Well I'll tell you what.  Many folks suspected Hillary of all sorts of shenanigans, a portion of them being how she converted influence to personal wealth.  I would be in favor of exposing that sort of behavior before election.  So Yes.

4 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Well I'll tell you what.  Many folks suspected Hillary of all sorts of shenanigans, a portion of them being how she converted influence to personal wealth.  I would be in favor of exposing that sort of behavior before election.  So Yes.

Seriously ? You'd favour a system that allows State Government to effectively disqualify anyone they want from standing for election ? 

I mean... REALLY ? 

• Like 1