Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World’s first 3D printed human heart

marsman

Researchers at Tel Aviv University (TAU) created the heart using a patient’s own cells combined with other biological material.

Until now, scientists had only been able to print basic tissues, without cells or blood vessels.

"This is the first time anyone anywhere has successfully engineered and printed an entire heart replete with cells, blood vessels, ventricles and chambers,” said Professor Tal Dvir, lead researcher on the study.

“People have managed to 3D-print the structure of a heart in the past, but not with cells or with blood vessels.

“This heart is made from human cells and patient-specific biological materials. In our process, these materials serve as the bioinks, substances made of sugars and proteins that can be used for 3D printing of complex tissue models.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/scientists-print-3d-heart-with-human-tissue-in-world-first-a4118371.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

This is amazing. Imagine the breakthroughs to come from this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

a little bit on the small side.

000_1FN7AX-400x250.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

a little bit on the small side.

000_1FN7AX-400x250.jpg

its just to prove the concept though......the same way architects make small scale models first

final_gould_lafetra.jpg

http://blogs.getty.edu/iris/conserving-architectural-models-behind-the-scenes-in-the-research-institute-conservation-lab/

Edited by marsman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, moonman said:

Call me when it's actually installed in the (still living) guy, THEN I'll be impressed.

you missed the point....totally

• Like 1

We definitely have a bit to go before we start printing organs out for people but this is a significant step none the less.

I'm guessing in about 20 years we will be printing organs for medical transplants, likes hearts probably. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marsman said:

you missed the point....totally

Not at all. I know what they did here, but until it's actually a functional organ I'm not that impressed. This one doesn't do anything at all from the sound of it, it's just a pile of 3D printed human cell paste. I wouldn't even call it a heart, honestly. It's just a pile of cells shaped like one.

Make it pump with the users own energy - THAT will be monumental.

Edited by moonman