Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Notre-Dame cathedral

keithisco

I agree that it is probably from renovation.  Somebody was still drunk from the weekend.  However, to consider other possibilities, Islamic Hijrah is one, but also it could be that the YellowJackets are responsible.  But it could also be Macron trying to eradicate a backward religion and will fiddle while it burns and blame his political opponents.  Not good in any case.  It is a loss of world culture.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pallidin said:

I could suggest exactly which ideologic group is responsible, but on this site it might be considered "insensitive"

Of course it has to be a terrorist attack, it couldn't have started from the renovations or in the the kitchen.

:rolleyes:

Edited by GoldenWolf

OMG. I am in shock.

My mother is distraught. She is French, she can not believe this building which has survived wars and time is burning to the ground in our day and age.

I have photos from when i was a child where i was dragged to the Notre Dame,  to adulthood when i dragged my son there. 

This is a shocker.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Well, it's not beyond us to restore, repair and rebuild so it can last another 900 years. 

• Like 6

That remodeling scaffolding imight collapse on the firefighters.

I'm sure, though, that they've considered that.

1 minute ago, stevewinn said:

Well, it's not beyond us to restore, repair and rebuild so it can last another 900 years. 

Indeed, we've seen destruction restoration all around Europe after the wars.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, pallidin said:

I could suggest exactly which ideologic group is responsible, but on this site it might be considered "insensitive"

If you can class workmen as ideological then its not sensitive at all.

It was having a lot of work done, hence all the scaffolding.

The average life span is not long enough to be able to take in that many of the famous sites we know today have burned perhaps many times in the distant past and were rebuilt.  What is usually lost is the original artisanship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, The Wistman said:

Western towers now burning. 

Oooo... that's not good.

3 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

It is the artifacts inside which are not replacable. 

Would be best they do not try to rebuild it, i darent not think what the architects would suggest to replace it with. They will never be able to restore it.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, GoldenWolf said:

Of course it has to be a terrorist attack, it couldn't have started from the renovations or in the the kitchen.

Here's the thing: if this was committed by a migrant/Muslim/terrorist/minority, they probably wouldn't tell you for fear that some patriot would retaliate by burning down a Mosque. There are countless examples of under reporting or mis-reporting of migrant crimes to soften public tension. This fire may have been caused by renovators. Or it might have been caused by someone else, given the widespread desecration of cemeteries and Churchs in France. 

• Like 1

How is it so combustible? Its a massive empty air space made of stone. The roof might go but surely the rest is survivable. 

• Like 2

Wow. Never been there, but sounds historically tragic... as well as, apparently, key Christian relics destroyed.

How is it so combustible? Its a massive empty air space made of stone. The roof might go but surely the rest is survivable. 

Weakening of ancient mortar due to excessive heat will essentially destroy the entire building.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

It is the artifacts inside which are not replacable. 

Would be best they do not try to rebuild it, i darent not think what the architects would suggest to replace it with. They will never be able to restore it.

Rebuild for future generations. I'm sure we can replicate what's been lost and anything that needs replacing replace it because in 900 years it'll have a significance like that that's been lost today. Is this fire the worst event to happen to the cathedral in its history? 

Is this fire the worst event to happen to the cathedral in its history? 

Obviously.