Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Notre-Dame cathedral

keithisco

5 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Weakening of ancient mortar due to excessive heat will essentially destroy the entire building.

I thought it was just the roof that was on fire. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stevewinn said:

The whole dang cathedral is basically destroyed. Hopefully, basement holdings will remain reasonably intact after the firefighters get a firm handle on the blaze.

Hate hear that. Like other great structures in our past I guess.  Lets see, largest city ever ? Persian, in the ancient times, Persepolis .. down in flames by Alexander the Great, the library in Alexandria, Egypt, likely the largest library in the world even years and centuries later.  Maybe others unknown too-- a shame. Hey the pyramids are still here and that’s likely because someone didn’t have larger cannons, PHEW!

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Anything flammable under that roof will go too.  Century old wood fixtures covered by lacquer, fabrics like carpet and tapestries, oil on canvas paintings, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I didn’t get to Paris soon enough, that is my sad lament today, after the loss itself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RavenHawk said:

Anything flammable under that roof will go too.  Century old wood fixtures covered by lacquer, fabrics like carpet and tapestries, oil on canvas paintings, etc.

Yeah... flammability.

notre-dame-cathedral.jpg.59c19266d9ce826ac17614d65c62ddc6.jpg

Carvings on the back of the choir stalls.  below them are the tombs of the nobles.  I searched there once with a friend and found Geoffrey Plantagenet's marker (son of Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine.  We found it by his coat of arms.

Edited by The Wistman
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RavenHawk said:

What of historical or art import is inside that part of the Cathedral?

Its like Big Ben burning down.

Its of national and historical significance. Did Nostradamus predict it?

Edited by RabidMongoose

If this WAS caused by the renovation, then the people responsible should be publicly executed. 

Wheres Jesus. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

If this WAS caused by the renovation, then the people responsible should be publicly executed. 

What?

22 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

It was. The roof has now collapsed inside.

The wood inside had no chance once the fire reached it.

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

It's just an old building. Something would've destroyed it eventually. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Well, it's not beyond us to restore, repair and rebuild so it can last another 900 years. 

So they had a reporter on earlier whose wife is French. He said he's been thru ND several times and tour guides have said various parts took over 100 to years to complete. One section was done by several generations of one family using techniques that no one these days know how to do. It's truly a tragedy of epic proportions!  :(

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

It was. The roof has now collapsed inside.

The wood inside had no chance once the fire reached it.

According to the AFP, there is nothing left, roof gone, interior gone, firefighters debating pulling back as they expect the unbuttressed walls to collapse. 

Also, fire no accident. Apparently 3rd such church fire in Paris in the last two months. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Although Notre-Dame was around during the execution days,, today the French do not publicly execute people anymore 

Although this is a shocking event, publicly executing people would be shocking too. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Wistman said:

notre-dame-cathedral.jpg.59c19266d9ce826ac17614d65c62ddc6.jpg

Carvings on the back of the choir stalls.  below them are the tombs of the nobles.  I searched there once with a friend and found Geoffrey Plantagenet's marker (son of Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine.  We found it by his coat of arms.

That's beautiful. Mainstream news here in the US had stopped programming and gone to coverage. They said many of the statues were removed for cleaning before the renovation started and people were trying to rescue as many artifacts as they could.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stevewinn said:

According to the AFP, there is nothing left, roof gone, interior gone, firefighters debating pulling back as they expect the unbuttressed walls to collapse. 

Also, fire no accident. Apparently 3rd such church fire in Paris in the last two months. 

I hope it is an accident by some careless worker. (Careless is a heck of an understatement). :unsure:

• Like 3

The modern scaffolding still standing. 

8 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

I don't think they will have any problems raising money for the renovation now.

There is nothing left to renovate. 

The building took 200 years to build. They can not touch up here and there and prop up a few new beams. 

• Like 3

Reports one of the Bell towers now on fire? The bells, the bells

• Like 1
  • Sad 2