Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Notre-Dame cathedral

keithisco

Thank you for your time...

‘Don’t touch Notre Dame’: Fury at suggestion of reimagining cathedral with modern twist

Suggestions that Notre Dame Cathedral be reimagined following Monday’s fire, complete with modern architecture and materials, have been met with outrage across France and around the world.

Suggestions that Notre Dame Cathedral be reimagined following Monday’s fire, complete with modern architecture and materials, have been met with outrage across France and around the world.

cont...

https://www.rt.com/news/457011-notre-dame-reconstruction-proposal-outrage/

Those proposals look terrible!

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Michelle said:

‘Don’t touch Notre Dame’: Fury at suggestion of reimagining cathedral with modern twist

cont...

I've heard of this.

Proponents of "modern reconstruction" whilst maintaining historical significance do have a valid point.

Complete pre-fire restoration with all the wooden beams and such will only serve to make it a futherance of potential disaster.

Modern steel beams, coated in wood, is a viable compromise... in my opinion.

Faux wood support beams would be more practical.

1 hour ago, pallidin said:

Let me ask you a simple question...

If you had $200 million dollars to build an impressive cathedral, could you do it?

Dang right, and it would be seriously nice.

So what's with the other 1.8 BILLION????

But they're not building a cathedral from scratch. They're rebuilding an existing one. That makes it much more difficult and much more expensive. 

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

cont...

Well, seeing as building the current version of Notre Dame lead to the extinction of a species of tree, something may have to be done in that quarter at least.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Well, seeing as building the current version of Notre Dame lead to the extinction of a species of tree, something may have to be done in that quarter at least.

That's why I agreed the faux wood support beams would be more practical. They are in the ceiling so it would be almost impossible to tell the difference. That is just one of the compromises that can be made among many.

• Like 2

Cathedrals should reflect the concept of “bringing glory to the Lord” and not “slavishly devotion to the paste”, if that means modern materials then so be it. It’s not as if the 1800s renovations respected the 1600s design ethos (go so far as to add a spire).

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Cathedrals should reflect the concept of “bringing glory to the Lord” and not “slavishly devotion to the paste”, if that means modern materials then so be it. It’s not as if the 1800s renovations respected the 1600s design ethos (go so far as to add a spire).

between you and me, I think that spire did look a bit silly. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A chief architect of Notre Dame casts doubt on "accidental" fire

Original article (French)

French media reports citing an interview with the former French Inspector-General for Historic Monuments Benjamin Mouton, who oversaw the installation of state-of-the-art fire prevention systems in the Notre Dame Cathedral in 2010, and who was responsible for the building from 2000 to 2013, cast doubt on today's leak to the Associated Press that the fire was likely caused by an electrical short-circuit. 

"I don't understand this at all. The fire's spread is extremely curious. With really old oak like that, it's super-hard, so you'd need a lot of smaller wood to first get the fire hot enough for the oak beams to burn. 

In 2010 we replaced all the electrical wiring, so there's no way this was sparked by a short-circuit. We put new wiring in place according to modern standards. And we went even further; we installed state-of-the-art fire protection and detection systems in the cathedral. 

At all times, there are always two men on standby in the Cathedral, day and night, to go investigate anything the moment an alarm goes off, then if necessary to call the fire emergency services. 

I am really stunned that this [the fire] has happened. It's incomprehensible."

The media ruled out arson within hours of the fire breaking out so this so called "architect" is clearly is mistaken. The fire was obviously caused by oily rags.

"In 40 years of experience, I have never heard of a fire like this. It would take a really combustible load at the start of such a fire for it to rapidly develop into the disaster we saw. Also, oak is a particularly fire-resistant wood. 

The fire detection/protection system installed in the cathedral was of the highest level. It was a very expensive undertaking, but it enabled us to quickly ascertain whether a fire had started somewhere. Additionally, we had many old wooden doors replaced by fire-doors. 

We also drastically reduced the number of electrical appliances throughout the building, and completely forbid them in the attic."

"OILY RAGS!" 

• Like 2

I was thinking chemical combustion could've been a cause. It can happen and it's happened to a cousin of mine. Her husband was staining something and left some rags in the paint thinner or whatever he was using in the garage and left to go somewhere. The house was burnt down when they got back and the rags were determined to be the source.

As for the modern takes, I agree they're ugly. At least make the exterior steel dark and gothic instead of shiny and modern and the inside should be steel wrapped with faux beams. Otherwise with 2 billion dollars they should hire every gifted artisan in the world and replicate it from wood again.

• Like 1

yes, oily rugs, especially with paint thinner, or any flammable solvents are flammable,   if i use paint thinner i soak rugs in water before i throw them away,  i even made my wife to soak all her cotton balls after she is done removing nail polish,  garbage chute fires are pretty common in my condo, 

• Like 2

Well... it's reassuring to find that folks are not prone to jumping to rash conclusions or overreacting.

now then... time to put another shrimp on the barby.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting news...

The Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem caught fire the same day as Notre Dame.

"The Al-Aqsa Mosque features the gold-capped ‘Dome of the Rock’ – a holy shrine built on the site of biblical Jewish temples, making it important in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

Footage shared on social media showed smoke and fire emerging from the roof of a structure known as the Al-Marwani Prayer Room, or Solomon’s Stables."

At UniLad (UK): https://www.unilad.co.uk/news/fire-breaks-out-at-third-holiest-mosque-on-same-night-as-notre-dame/

At AlAraby UK: https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/news/2019/4/15/al-aqsa-mosque-catches-fire-as-notre-dame-cathedral-burns

• Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 9:29 PM, Michelle said:

cont...

They want to rainbow it? lol