Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Notre-Dame cathedral

keithisco

40 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

You have a point. People shouldn’t jump to conclusions. But is it really such a stretch to entertain the thought that it just might have been burn’t down by a religious extremist?

not a stretch at all, but an opinion, whether right or wrong,  it is highly unpopular with liberals, btw i had my post suggesting that removed

Edited by aztek
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Princess Serenity said:

It already started! Ugh. I hate people so much! 

This seems to be the norm this day and age. The other day during the Masters golf tournament the weather stations interrupted broadcast to issue dire tornado warnings trying to save lives, and some did lose their lives in the wake of the destruction. One meteorologist said she was bombarded with death threat for cutting the masters off, even though they had a split screen.

People are so callous and uncaring these days. Maybe it has always been that way, it is just we are so connected now.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

This seems to be the norm this day and age. The other day during the Masters golf tournament the weather stations interrupted broadcast to issue dire tornado warnings trying to save lives, and some did lose their lives in the wake of the destruction. One meteorologist said she was bombarded with death threat for cutting the masters off, even though they had a split screen.

People are so callous and uncaring these days. Maybe it has always been that way, it is just we are so connected now.

Because Tiger won it, it was considered *RACIST* for cutting it off.

Remember this iconic scene from 'The Three Musketeers'

Crashing a ship into Notre Dame

On 4/15/2019 at 2:34 PM, Kenemet said:

Seriously now.  It started in the middle of the day.  In broad daylight.  On the roof.

^^This is not correct.  It has been reported the fire started at 6:30 pm on Monday evening.  There were no workmen in the church at that time...making the cause of it rather suspicious:

How the disaster unfolded

The blaze erupted at the centuries-old cathedral on Monday around 6:30 pm local time, and news of the fire spread rapidly on social media as people shared photos showing bright orange flames and smoke pouring from a spire of the church. Images later showed the cathedral’s spire crumbling, swallowed up by the fire.

https://www.vox.com/world/2019/4/15/18311696/notre-dame-cathedral-fire-collapse-spire-paris

6 hours ago, danydandan said:

Guys it's only a poxy building.

Are you for real, Dan?! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, South Alabam said:

They might as well burn underground with the devil!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Setton said:

Ockham. 

Don’t get why you’d reply with just ‘Ockham?’ no one really knows anything at this point and until an investigation takes place we won’t really know. Given renovations were taking place and the buildings frame was made outta 800 year old match sticks it’s a reasonable assumption that it was an accident. But is the simplest theory always the right one?

• Like 1

Once the point of origin for the fire has been found, it won't take much to pinpoint what workers were in that area. I think it's possible that the fire was smoldering and unnoticed at the time the workmen left for the day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aztek said:

not a stretch at all, but an opinion, whether right or wrong,  it is highly unpopular with liberals, btw i had my post suggesting that removed

I have a question for you...why did you click on the laughing emoji if you agree with what I said?

3 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Are you for real, Dan?! 

Some posts are not worth biting at. Dans was not worth a nibble.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hacktorp said:

^^This is not correct.  It has been reported the fire started at 6:30 pm on Monday evening.  There were no workmen in the church at that time...making the cause of it rather suspicious:

https://www.vox.com/world/2019/4/15/18311696/notre-dame-cathedral-fire-collapse-spire-paris

I do stand corrected on the time.  I disagree on the cause being suspicious.  If it had started down near the ground, I'd agree with this.

• Like 1

On one hand I agree that rebuilding what's lost won't have the historical signifigence but what else can they do except leave it as an ancient ruin. The hands on labor and artistry of yesteryear and the manner in which the trees were fell and transported and the deathly construction practices involved will always come with more awe than today's craftsman with power tools milling lumber that came from a modern factory, not meaning to discount the labor and skill involved today, but in another 850 years maybe they'll be marveling at the things we did with our inferior technology.

FTR, not to hate on steel and stucco but most of today's buildings will never come with the same appreciation and sense of wonder that the stone and wooden buildings of even only 100 years ago do.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, susieice said:

He's full of it.... :lol:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Are you for real, Dan?! 

No body died, as far as I'm aware. 

I just don't get the emotional attachment to it. After all it is only a building. Obviously it has great historical and cultural significance but all this coverage over a building is silly.

I suppose the only thing that's going to happen now is, some company like BAM are going make a bloody fortune refurbishing and rebuilding it.

I suppose your probably going to ponder if I felt the same way if it was Leinster House, Newgrange or Saint Patrick's Cathedral. The answer would be yes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, danydandan said:

Guys it's only a poxy building.

Are their any buildings that are not, in your view ?

5 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Are their any buildings that are not, in your view ?

Buildings are buildings, the people inside them matter not the sticks and stones. In my opinion!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, danydandan said:

Buildings are buildings, the people inside them matter not the sticks and stones. In my opinion!

Historical and culturally it’s important. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

Historical and culturally it’s important. 

Obviously. 

But it's still only a building.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Michelle said:

He's full of it.... :lol:

It's going to take a lot longer than that. It will be longer than that before anyone can even think about going inside again.

23 minutes ago, danydandan said:

No body died, as far as I'm aware. 

I just don't get the emotional attachment to it. After all it is only a building. Obviously it has great historical and cultural significance but all this coverage over a building is silly.

I suppose the only thing that's going to happen now is, some company like BAM are going make a bloody fortune refurbishing and rebuilding it.

I suppose your probably going to ponder if I felt the same way if it was Leinster House, Newgrange or Saint Patrick's Cathedral. The answer would be yes. 

When we lost the Christchurch cathederal in the 2011 earthquake, it was heart breaking. it literally felt like the heart had been ripped out of Christchurch. I can not imagine what it must feel like to lose something wich has been part of your history for 850 years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

These ancient cathedrals were the pinnacle of technical achievement of the day, and no doubt built to bolster the authority of the church. People might have thought that any organization that could command the resources and knowledge and commitment to erect such things, must deserve their obedience. But Europe has changed drastically since those times, and they are basically part of architectural heritage, rather than religious heritage these days.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

These ancient cathedrals were the pinnacle of technical achievement of the day, and no doubt built to bolster the authority of the church. People might have thought that any organization that could command the resources and knowledge and commitment to erect such things, must deserve their obedience. But Europe has changed drastically since those times, and they are basically part of architectural heritage, rather than religious heritage these days.

So much French history took place in Notre Dame. It has been the center of Paris for almost a millennium. A place of hope. So much of it's art.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2