Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My *Bigfoot* Experience

orcafresh

3 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I've always wondered about the 'stench' part.  I know that primates, including us obviously, can stink but do apes in general typically have as overpowering and far-reaching stench as Squatch supposedly does?

Yes, some do.  I experienced it at the San Francisco Zoo from a silverback gorilla.  It was an unmistakable odor, very powerful and unpleasant.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Yes, I think people think in two ways:

1) It is an undiscovered species of human/animal

2) It is all hoax/misidentification

When I think the answer is 'none of the above'. I think Bigfoot exists but has attributes we colloquially call 'paranormal' to the point where it needs a new 'category' 

I think people think in those two ways partly because, at least decades ago when I was 'into' Bigfoot, proponents for its existence mainly claimed it was an undiscovered species.  I know you have your beliefs but I think the rank of explanations by strength of the evidence are in descending order: hoax, undiscovered animal/human species, paranormal/other.  One issue is that from what I know most of the sightings don't involve Bigfoot doing anything paranormal or special, it behaves like humans/animals and doesn't exhibit any special powers (other than its stench ray).  So I'm especially skeptical of the paranormal answer as it's just being used to very vaguely try to explain why there's no natural evidence where there should be.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Yes, some do.  I experienced it at the San Francisco Zoo from a silverback gorilla.  It was an unmistakable odor, very powerful and unpleasant.

Did it smell like very strong human BO or was it more like burning feces?

8 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Agreed, but I wonder at what distance.  I've been around farm animals and up close they don't smell that great but at a distance I don't recall noticing anything that powerful (except for the manure they produce).

18 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

My comment was directed towards Liquid Gardens quoted speculation on the very existence of Bigfoot.

I know.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I think people think in those two ways partly because, at least decades ago when I was 'into' Bigfoot, proponents for its existence mainly claimed it was an undiscovered species.  I know you have your beliefs but I think the rank of explanations by strength of the evidence are in descending order: hoax, undiscovered animal/human species, paranormal/other.  One issue is that from what I know most of the sightings don't involve Bigfoot doing anything paranormal or special, it behaves like humans/animals and doesn't exhibit any special powers (other than its stench ray).  So I'm especially skeptical of the paranormal answer as it's just being used to very vaguely try to explain why there's no natural evidence where there should be.

I have theorized that these just natural sightings may be the very rare cases when Bigfoot (who normally does not want to be disturbed/noticed) is caught with his guard down. These 'observations' you mention do include things like claims from Native American trackers that they can be tracked and 'disappear'.

My ranking at this point: 1)Paranormal enough to be a new category of being 2) Undiscovered species of Human/Animal  3) All hoax and misidentification

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Agreed, but I wonder at what distance.  I've been around farm animals and up close they don't smell that great but at a distance I don't recall noticing anything that powerful (except for the manure they produce).

You could smell this strong odor at least 50 yards away.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OverSword said:

Did it smell like very strong human BO or was it more like burning feces?

It was more like very strong BO, but I’ve never smelled burning feces, so I wouldn’t know what that is like.  The zoo keeper remarked and said this odor is used to ward off predators.

20 minutes ago, Guyver said:

It was more like very strong BO, but I’ve never smelled burning feces, so I wouldn’t know what that is like.  The zoo keeper remarked and said this odor is used to ward off predators.

I've seen the sasquatch smell described as burning poop mixed with rotten eggs. .  

Just now, OverSword said:

I've seen the sasquatch smell described as burning poop mixed with rotten eggs. .  

Yes, I’ve heard it described as a putrid smell like a wet dog or city dump.

6 minutes ago, OverSword said:

You would think that it would make it easily trackable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/21/2003 at 8:09 AM, orcafresh said:

the darkness of night ... I had to urinate. 

I wandered off into a roadside wooded area in the dark. 

While I stood there urinating (for what seemed forever) ...

Next thing I'm aware of... there's an incredible stench that is drifting in on the breeze that I'd been enjoying as we tooled down this coutryside road.

I had walked in about 15 yeards off the road.

I obviously encouraged my bladder to finish its task.

I smelled that odor and heard the heavy rustle of branches and movement towards me right up until getting to within 7 feet of the car.

This object seemed to be focusing on moving in towards me.

I only know the stench was unbearable and the noise was strongly audible.

I actually had him smell my outstretched arm sleeve and he got a decent whiff of the reamining odor.

Apparently it was a lightly wooded area.

The more he urinated the closer the stench came ...

I think I know what he smelled.  I wonder what he had eaten and drank that his ablation caused such a stench?

On 10/25/2022 at 9:42 PM, Trelane said:

Human beings can generate some pretty powerful stench. 

Plus, they make up all kinds of ****.

• Like 1