Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
UM-Bot

Nearest exoplanet has potential to support li

Recommended Posts

 
sci-nerd
Posted (edited)

Publications like this is slowly becoming an annoyance. It's starting to resemble people seeing Jesus in a slice of toast.

Ok, so there is an exoplanet that might have liquid water! Wow! An asteroid with amino acids, spooky! Traces of water on the moon, OMG! Mars is a whole chapter!

They come all the time, but they prove nothing! It's like the fish tank in Monty Python's "Meaning of life"... 

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
18 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Publications like this is slowly becoming an annoyance. It's starting to resemble people seeing Jesus in a slice of toast.

Yup, considering they don't know it's just guesswork in a white coat.

 I have doubts about finding anything in the Goldilocks zone of a red dwarf. All stars produce solar flares no matter how active or not they are and unless the planet has one hell of a magnetic field it's as dead as a brontosaur. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waspie_Dwarf
33 minutes ago, Piney said:

Yup, considering they don't know it's just guesswork in a white coat.

The surest sign that someone is totally clueless about how science ACTUALLY works is a sentence like that.

The surest sign of hypocrisy is falsely accusing others of guesswork and then making a wild guess like this:

35 minutes ago, Piney said:

 I have doubts about finding anything in the Goldilocks zone of a red dwarf.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waspie_Dwarf
58 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

They come all the time, but they prove nothing! It's like the fish tank in Monty Python's "Meaning of life"... 

For someone that claims to be a science nerd you also show a distinct lack of understanding of scientific methodology. What do you expect them to prove?

Just because they can't prove whether there is life on any given planet does not mean that research can not occur to determine whether life is actually POSSIBLE on that planet.

Not all research leads to proof, but it does lead to greater understanding.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish

If life happened to exist on such a planet, it'll probably be extremely resilient. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
14 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

If life happened to exist on such a planet, it'll probably be extremely resilient. 

It would definitely be a extremophile. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MWoo7
Posted (edited)

 How many times have we heard of this exoplanet eh?!?!?! Are there life forms there or not ?

giphy.gif

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
1 hour ago, MWoo7 said:

 How many times have we heard of this exoplanet eh?!?!?! Are there life forms there or not ?

giphy.gif

You know I told you those 8mm baby videos were private. <_<

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MWoo7

OMG!!!!! that trumps mine NO FAIRS!  Well so as not to DEEEEFLECT ! and to pull my trolling horns back in I'll swing this back around.... if they would just once say HEY!!!!! pattern says the atmosphere is puuuuuuuurrfect folks, and we know for a fact blah blah blah.... hence this pic here WOOOOOHOO! I'd go    maxresdefault.jpg&f=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sci-nerd
16 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

For someone that claims to be a science nerd you also show a distinct lack of understanding of scientific methodology. What do you expect them to prove?

No, it is because I know the scientific method, that I criticize them. I know, and they know, that there are 40 billion candidates out there. Making a publication each time a good candidate is detected is like making a report every time someone sneezes. It's redundant and unnecessary!

17 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Just because they can't prove whether there is life on any given planet does not mean that research can not occur to determine whether life is actually POSSIBLE on that planet.

Not all research leads to proof, but it does lead to greater understanding.

I welcome reports about specific research results, as long as it's news. This is not news. This is "I need more money for my boring - one in 40 billion - research".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.