Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
marsman

Watch....Robot dogs pull a truck

39 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

marsman
Quote

 

 Watch pack of Boston Dynamics robot dogs pulling full-sized lorry to show off strength

Robotics firm Boston Dynamics wanted to demonstrate the sheer strength of its SpotMini dogs
https://www.standard.co.uk/tech/boston-dynamics-spot-mini-truck-a4119976.html

 

Quote

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
27 minutes ago, marsman said:

 Watch pack of Boston Dynamics robot dogs pulling full-sized lorry to show off strength

 

I thought it would be just 3 or 4. Not the robot version of a beer hauling team.  :lol:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alien Origins
Posted (edited)

As Darth Vader once said and I quote "Impressive.Very impressive." end quote.

Edited by Alien Origins
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chaldon
5 hours ago, Alien Origins said:

As Darth Vader once said and I quote "Impressive.Very impressive." end quote.

Hmm, I remember it as "Impressive. Much impressive" ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chaldon
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Chaldon said:

Hmm, I remember it as "Impressive. Much impressive" ^_^

Oh, just checked it: it was "Most impressive". :lol:

Edited by Chaldon
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alien Origins
10 minutes ago, Chaldon said:

Oh, just checked it: it was "Most impressive". :lol:

Been a long time since I seen the movie..Thanks for the correction though....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose

Its only a matter of time before they take over and turn us into their slaves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stiff

Cool as hell but the sound they make creeps me out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kobolds

I still feel unconvinced ,  the way the robot dog move and the size of robot dog leg should not able to generate such a huge pull .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
marsman
18 hours ago, kobolds said:

I still feel unconvinced ,  the way the robot dog move and the size of robot dog leg should not able to generate such a huge pull .  

 

why not? heres a real dog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
esoteric_toad

My question is this, what can they actually do other than look strange? What benefit do they have at this point? Sure they might look intimidating or cool but other than that I cannot think of a useful application as they are right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
marsman
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, esoteric_toad said:

My question is this, what can they actually do other than look strange? What benefit do they have at this point? Sure they might look intimidating or cool but other than that I cannot think of a useful application as they are right now.

 

search and rescue....going into battle....guide dogs.....what purpose does a humanoid robot have?

 

 

 

Edited by marsman
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
esoteric_toad
4 minutes ago, marsman said:

 

search and rescue....going into battle....guide dogs.....what purpose does a humanoid robot have?

 

 

 

Unless there's some sort of amazing power supply that's super duper top secret i cannot imagine that these things can run very long without recharging. Not a useful amount of time I would wager.

Also I really don't believe the capability to use them in any way that requires true AI is possible yet.

Robotics has certainly come a long way but, for the moment at least, I still think we are ways off from truly functional/over all useful robots. If they had such capabilities now they'd already be saturating the market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
marsman
2 minutes ago, esoteric_toad said:

Unless there's some sort of amazing power supply that's super duper top secret i cannot imagine that these things can run very long without recharging. Not a useful amount of time I would wager.

Also I really don't believe the capability to use them in any way that requires true AI is possible yet.

Robotics has certainly come a long way but, for the moment at least, I still think we are ways off from truly functional/over all useful robots. If they had such capabilities now they'd already be saturating the market.

 

AI robot

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish

I'm pretty sure that one day robots will make up armies. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
esoteric_toad
Just now, marsman said:

 

AI robot

 

I will bet that this robot is not autonomous and powered by batteries.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
esoteric_toad
3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm pretty sure that one day robots will make up armies. 

I do not doubt that, just that we are still have some ways to go.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
Just now, esoteric_toad said:

I do not doubt that, just that we are still have some ways to go.

We'll probably develop some type of "power armor" first. The major issue as was pointed out is power supply.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BorizBadinov
6 minutes ago, esoteric_toad said:

Unless there's some sort of amazing power supply that's super duper top secret i cannot imagine that these things can run very long without recharging. Not a useful amount of time I would wager.

Also I really don't believe the capability to use them in any way that requires true AI is possible yet.

Robotics has certainly come a long way but, for the moment at least, I still think we are ways off from truly functional/over all useful robots. If they had such capabilities now they'd already be saturating the market.

Considering not so very long ago the biggest hurdle for autonomous robots was walking 10 steps without falling over they have come a long way in a relatively short time. Battery tech has also come a long way and the future looks interesting with graphene if it lives up to the hype.

https://www.graphene-info.com/graphene-batteries

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
marsman
11 minutes ago, esoteric_toad said:

Unless there's some sort of amazing power supply that's super duper

 

 

 

the voyager probes launched 40 odd years ago have batteries that still function......plus nowadays we have wireless recharging

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
marsman
9 minutes ago, esoteric_toad said:

I will bet that this robot is not autonomous and powered by batteries.

 

give it time....one day these things will be part of everyday life

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BorizBadinov
4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

We'll probably develop some type of "power armor" first. The major issue as was pointed out is power supply.

Exoskeletons are already a thing. There was a paraplegic who designed a pair of assist legs so he could walk.

This is one from Lockheed Martin. I am sure the military has a version. I remember reading about it some time ago.

https://www.robrady.com/design-project/fortis-human-powered-exoskeleton

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
marsman
On 17/04/2019 at 12:53 PM, Piney said:

I thought it would be just 3 or 4. Not the robot version of a beer hauling team.  :lol:

 

see the BIG DOG vid above

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
20 minutes ago, marsman said:

AI robot

It's not a true AI. Just a algorithm with some freaky comments programmed into it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
3 minutes ago, BorizBadinov said:

I am sure the military has a version.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powered_exoskeleton

Again the problem comes down to power supply. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.