Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Free alcohol' offered in translation error

Still Waters

Before you empty your car boot in preparation - yes, the offer of free booze at a Torfaen supermarket really is too good to be true.

A sign in Cwmbran's Asda for the alcohol-free section was incorrectly translated to "free alcohol" in Welsh.

Guto Aaron, who spotted the sign, wrote on Twitter: "Get yourself to Asda, according to their dodgy Welsh translations they are giving away free alcohol."

The sign - which should read di-alcohol - in fact says alcohol am ddim, which means free alcohol.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47959424

• Haha 4

I love the other translation at the end of the article. :lol:  It reminds me of what happened with ELO's debut album called The Electric Light Orchestra:

In the United States, the album was released as No Answer, after a misunderstood telephone message made by a United Artists Records executive asking about the album name. The caller, having failed to reach the ELO contact, wrote down "no answer" in his notes, and this was misconstrued to be the name of the album.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The supermarket confirmed there would not be free alcohol in stores this weekend.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47959424

Its only Wednesday, if i leave now in my friends van i should get there in a few hours. 

Does anyone need any bread or milk while i am in there? 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Its only Wednesday, if i leave now in my friends van i should get there in a few hours. 

Does anyone need any bread or milk while i am in there? 

If by "Bread" you mean freshly made Pizza and by "Milk" you mean Vodka, I'll take you up on that. :)

• Haha 1