Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Victorian mediums gave ghosts a megaphone

rashore

One of the biggest issues with speaking to the dead in the Victorian era—beyond the whole “being dead” thing—was that ghosts could never seem to speak loud enough. Spirits only spoke in whispers, unintelligible spectral babblings that the living human ear could barely hear, let alone decipher. A medium’s solution to this ghostly conundrum? The spirit trumpet, a fancy name for a skinny cone that allegedly amplified the voices of the dead.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/spirit-trumpets-dead-speak

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Physical Mediumship still goes on today, in private sessions between experienced mediums.

The results can be astounding.

• Like 2

Obviously the key question is: Is it all fakery using 'normal' techniques? 

My answer: I am sure some of it was fakery, but the quantity, quality and consistency of too many intelligent observers and investigators tells me that certainly some of this was indeed genuine paranormal phenomena. It still happens today.

• Haha 1

If this medium nonsense had even a little bit of reality to it, there would be recorded proof from all the studies conducted. There isn't, big surprise there.

May as well believe magicians actually use magic.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, acute said:

you obviously know nothing about modern Physical Mediumship.

Then explain it to everyone.

4 minutes ago, acute said:

If attacking Victorian frauds is the best debunking you can do on this subject, you obviously know nothing about modern Physical Mediumship.

If simply mentioning physical mediumship is the best proving you can do on this subject, you obviously know nothing about modern scientific method.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, acute said:

If attacking Victorian frauds is the best debunking you can do on this subject, you obviously know nothing about modern Physical Mediumship.

What is the difference between the past and this 'modern' one?

Why do they need a modern, what was wrong with the old? Apart from being completely debunked. ;)

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Then explain it to everyone.

I made my point in my first reply.

Physical Mediumship is practiced by groups of mediums, in private, with each contributing to the results. There are no paying guests, no one gullible, no one fooled, hence nobody ripped off.

(If people know nothing about a certain activity, maybe they shouldn't deride or attack it)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, acute said:

I made my point in my first reply.

Physical Mediumship is practiced by groups of mediums, in private, with each contributing to the results. There are no paying guests, no one gullible, no one fooled, hence nobody ripped off.

(If people know nothing about a certain activity, maybe they shouldn't deride or attack it)

Does anyone fact check the results? Is there a control group? 

• The title was changed to Victorian mediums gave ghosts a megaphone
Just now, XenoFish said:

Does anyone fact check the results? Is there a control group? 

For whose benefit?

The mediums are there to pool their talents. They understand how it works, and they do it together. Nothing is disputed.

Just now, acute said:

For whose benefit?

The mediums are there to pool their talents. They understand how it works, and they do it together. Nothing is disputed.

So not fact checking of the results. Correct? Doesn't that basically amount to making a guess? 

I recommend you read up on it, Xeno, maybe by googling it. I'm not a medium, so I wouldn't know the process.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, acute said:

I recommend you read up on it, Xeno, maybe by googling it. I'm not a medium, so I wouldn't know the process.

You are the one who brought it up. If you're not a medium, what are you then? 

Apparently mentions of role-playing and dungeon masters are against site rules? I didn't know. Maybe you should outline that a little better.

Edited by moonman

19 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

If you're not a medium, what are you then?

You make me sound like a circus freak! :lol:

I'm just a regular psychic! I have visited many Spiritualist 'Churches', been a member of two, and sat in Awareness Circles and (mediumship) Development Circles.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, acute said:

You make me sound like a circus freak! :lol:

I'm just a regular psychic! I have visited many Spiritualist 'Churches', been a member of two, and sat in Awareness Circles and (mediumship) Development Circles.

Okay. 

1 hour ago, acute said:

For whose benefit?

So they agree together to hoax people?

This reminds me of astrology. Each time it is shown to be of little value with bad results someone comes up with a "new and improved" astrology that asks that previous failures e disregarded. There are demands that testing was incorrectly done and that proper testing of astrology needs to be done in future research.

You are welcome to replace astrology with telekinesis, remote viewing, mediumship, ghost hunting, or anything else that has not been shown to work.

Edited by stereologist
more information
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, stereologist said:

So they agree together to hoax people?

Hoax who?

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2019 at 2:15 PM, acute said:

your powers let you down epic when it came to judging me, while i dont need to posture about my knowlage base or where ive been what ive done and seen,

i know modern Physical Mediumship is a new name to an old joke,

second chance  you believe you have powers? prove it now, not excuses why you wont or it doesnt work that way,  just prove yourself or move on, refusing to or saying you dont care who believes you of course does prove you do not have any thing.

yep..HH was right :tu:

• Like 1

@the13bats

I don't waste my time attempting to enlighten closed minds.

It's obviously that you know approximately zero about the topic of this thread.