Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Victorian mediums gave ghosts a megaphone

rashore

Ghosts megaphones...The Victorian Era was quite the ritual as far as death goes and there has not been another era like it since...It's a fascinating world the Victorian Era especially if you delve into what their beliefs were on death which were odd but it seem to have comforted them anyway. It's no more strange than the mortsafe they used. It was used to keep the dead from rising from the grave supposedly. But its real use was to deter grave robbers not stop the dead from rising.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortsafe

https://thestarryeye.typepad.com/newage/2019/05/how-victorian-mediums-gave-shy-ghosts-a-megaphone.html

I love this era especially concerning the burial rituals etc...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, acute said:

@the13bats

I don't waste my time attempting to enlighten closed minds.

It's obviously that you know approximately zero about the topic of this thread.

again your "special powers" exhibits an epic fail when judging me.

however, your reply was as i predicted,

nice typical spitlight swing cop out from a person with zip...not a shock, go back to duping the naive and gullible who make you feel special.

Edited by the13bats

Ok folks, knock it off with the hostility at each other please. We can all discuss the OP topic in a civil and courteous manner around here.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alien Origins said:

.The Victorian Era was quite the ritual as far as death goes and there has not been another era like it since...It's a fascinating world the Victorian Era especially if you delve into what their beliefs were on death which were odd but it seem to have comforted them anyway.

We still have "dead baby pictures' from that time, along with my boss. We both keep them in the attic where they belong.

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

We still have "dead baby pictures' from that time, along with my boss. We both keep them in the attic where they belong.

Yeah and  those photos of that era are highly collectible you can purchase them on E-Bay...and other sites such as Thantos

https://thanatosarchive.com

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Alien Origins said:

Yeah and  those photos of that era are highly collectible you can purchase them on E-Bay...and other sites such as Thantos

I would not want to own pictures of other peoples dead relatives. I'm not superstitious, it just seems uncouth. 

On 4/23/2019 at 3:25 PM, acute said:

You make me sound like a circus freak! :lol:

And just what's wrong with us circus freaks? :o

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Piney said:

I would not want to own pictures of other peoples dead relatives. I'm not superstitious, it just seems uncouth. 

I use to have a whole file bookmarked on this stuff but somewhere along the way I either deleted it or moved it and cannot find it.

WARNING MAY MAKE SOME HERE A LITTLE UNEASY. VIEW AT YOUR OWN RISKS!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-36389581

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-strangest-tradition-of-the-victorian-era-post-mort-472772709

Edited by Alien Origins
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

I use to have a whole file bookmarked on this stuff but somewhere along the way I either deleted it or moved it and cannot find it.

WARNING MAY MAKE SOME HERE A LITTLE UNEASY. VIEW AT YOUR OWN RISKS!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-36389581

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-strangest-tradition-of-the-victorian-era-post-mort-472772709

I have seen photos like these before and the stories behind them.

There are two pictures on the graves of the people "dressed up' after they had died in the cemetery where my forefathers are buried, but they were the rich people of the village who could afford having photos taken. 

I can sort of understand it back in the days when people did not own cameras, my family would take group pictures as it was cheaper and everyone got in the shot (alive) .but my mums side of the family could not afford to have photos taken unless it was a special occation. 

The death of an infant was not a special occation as such, the funeral costs were hard enough to find for many, they were in no position to dress them up (in the hand me downs) and pay for a cameraman.

Today people generally have enough photos of their loved ones when they were alive, no need to take pictures of them onced they have died.

I believe if people do this today when they have photos prior to death, then  it is bordering on morbid.

38 minutes ago, Piney said:

And just what's wrong with us circus freaks? :o

Well the wages are s ** t. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

I have seen photos like these before and the stories behind them.

There are two pictures on the graves of the people "dressed up' after they had died in the cemetery where my forefathers are buried, but they were the rich people of the village who could afford having photos taken. 

I can sort of understand it back in the days when people did not own cameras, my family would take group pictures as it was cheaper and everyone got in the shot (alive) .but my mums side of the family could not afford to have photos taken unless it was a special occation. 

The death of an infant was not a special occation as such, the funeral costs were hard enough to find for many, they were in no position to dress them up (in the hand me downs) and pay for a cameraman.

Today people generally have enough photos of their loved ones when they were alive, no need to take pictures of them onced they have died.

I believe if people do this today when they have photos prior to death, then  it is bordering on morbid.

During the Victorian Era the mortality rate for children was very high...A lot of the Victorian funeral rituals disappeared after the death of Queen Victoria...She stayed in mourning for the rest of her life after Prince Albert passed from Typhoid in 1861...She wore full mourning dress the first three years. The Edwardian Era picked up in 1901 after the death of Queen Victoria...

http://victorian-era.org/edwardian-era-funeral-customs.html

I spoke of the mort safe earlier. They are pictured below.

1280px-Mortsafe_at_Logeriat_Church1.jpg

Courtesy of Wiki....

Edited by Alien Origins
  • Like 2

On 5/30/2019 at 1:36 PM, Piney said:

museums are full of dead peoples pictures and other propriety, there are people who provide the stuff called archeologists, the couth name for "grave robbers" ,

i understand the odd feeling i get it from real side show pickled punks and the like.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2019 at 12:20 AM, acute said:

The results can be astounding.

the results will only be in "story" form

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, the13bats said:

museums are full of dead peoples pictures and other propriety, there are people who provide the stuff called archeologists, the couth name for "grave robbers" ,

I was the Cultural Resource Officer who went with archaeologists and made sure everything was treated right and reburied after study. I also kept recovered objects and remains. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_Graves_Protection_and_Repatriation_Act

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Piney said:

I was the Cultural Resource Officer who went with archaeologists and made sure everything was treated right and reburied after study. I also kept recovered objects and remains. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_Graves_Protection_and_Repatriation_Act

but countless others are not treated in such ways...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, the13bats said:

but countless others are not treated in such ways...

I know. The British are really respectful with their own remains, as with the Scandinavians and the Indigenous Siberians.

I recovered many things from potholers here though. New Jersey has a law against possessing human remains so there was always police involvement. 

If it's about "study" not "souvenirs". I'm fine with it. But your right. They are always busting collectors with Native stuff and returning it to tribes though. 

• Like 1

as a kid we visited some tourist attraction that had native burial, exposed skeletons etc, i thought it was so very disrespectful, cant recall for sure seems like it was st Augustine.

on a different level many times estate sales make me a bit sad, i place a lot of respect on items that would have gone into the trash

• 5 months later...

I believe the physical medium produces ectoplasm which allows a physical manifestation of the entity. The ectoplasm is manipulated by the spirit to form a voicebox, the trumpet gets lifted by the spirits and used to magnify the sound from the spirit voicebox so that sitters in the room can hear the spirit manifestation. I used to be a spiritualist for 15 years or so, finally leaving due to the politics and in-fighting as there always is in committees of various kinds. At the time, I used to live in a town where there was a home for old retired mediums who had long service (to the spiritualist movement) I have known at least one physical medium, one who lived there in that retirement home and who had been a physical medium for nearly 50 years.

I also sat in a circle with 3 others, my partner and 2 very good friends. With all four of us sitting, with our hands on the surface of the table, we had the small table lift above our heads with the legs knocking against our knees and it was difficult to keep our hands on the surface due to its violent movement. There was a dim red light on at the time so it was not in pitch dark. So, because I knew these others very well, and because there was a dim light on, I believe what I witnessed was a physical manifestation.

Obviously, you guys were not there so I dont expect you to believe this, but it is true.