Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
toast

First astrophysical detection of the

10 posts in this topic

toast

The GREAT Instrument aboard SOFIA traces a very special molecule

April 17, 2019

HeH+ was the first molecule that formed when, almost 14 billion years ago, falling temperatures in the young Universe allowed recombination of the light elements produced in the Big Bang. At that time, ionized hydrogen and neutral helium atoms reacted to form HeH+.

Despite its importance in the history of the early Universe, HeH+ has so far escaped detection in astrophysical nebulae. Operating the GREAT far-infrared spectrometer onboard the flying observatory SOFIA, an international research team led by Rolf Güsten from the Max-Planck-Institut für Radioastronomie (MPIfR) in Bonn, Germany, reports the unambiguous detection of the molecule towards the planetary nebula NGC 7027.

Full text

:tu:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

sci-nerd
Posted (edited)

It's amazing that it took 380,000 years after the big bang, before all the particles had gathered into atoms. Shows how huge the original expansion was.

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 3

acute

What kind of thread title is "First astrophysical detection of the"?

:lol:

• Haha 3

toast
27 minutes ago, acute said:

Mmpfhh :lol:

• Haha 2

ChrLzs
4 hours ago, acute said:

Clickbait, I reckon.  Did you also note that the molecule is spelt HEH?  He's laughing at us.....

More seriously, the article is interesting - I've never taken much note of 'early' astrochemistry.. I'd imagine given the extraordinary conditions and temperatures and pressures that were briefly present at various stages during our Cosmos' birth.. I guess there are probably more odd chemicals/ions that were created for a short time, never or rarely to be seen again

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

danydandan

More awesome science news, Helium Hydride has been observed in space for the first time. 

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2019/04/astronomers-find-oldest-type-of-molecule-in-space

Most observatories are built high up on mountains for lots of reasons, but even that wasn’t good enough for this search. Instead, astronomers turned to the Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy, or just SOFIA, which is literally an observatory aboard a plane. They took their telescope above all that blocking air, and finally saw clear and unambiguous emissions of the HeH+ ion, coming from a planetary nebula named NGC 7027, 2,900 light-years from Earth.

• Thanks 1

Piney

@toast  Posted a thread on it too. I don't remember the title. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

danydandan

@Still Waters it appears I got ahead of myself again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still Waters

Threads Merged

• Thanks 1

acute
17 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Clickbait, I reckon.  Did you also note that the molecule is spelt HEH?  He's laughing at us.....

Mockery well spotted! :tu:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1