Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Great white sharks are scared of orcas, study

Still Waters

Great white sharks may not be the ocean’s most fearsome predators after all.

New research has found the hunters become the hunted when killer whales are on the scene.

“When confronted by orcas, great white sharks will immediately vacate their preferred hunting ground and will not return for up to a year,” lead author Salvador Jorgensen, a senior research scientist at Monterey Bay Aquarium, said.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/usa-news-great-white-sharks-scared-of-orcas-study/a4e253b0-ffe1-4f5e-b6d2-a06d909f3beb

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-39356-2

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, AllPossible said:

What are great white sharks frightened of ?....  A scuba tank in their mouth & a lunatic with a rifle.

And Lego. Don't forget the Lego.

rare-image-of-a-shark-stepping-on-a-lego-4525934.png

• Haha 8

5 minutes ago, Jaded1 said:

Is that supposed to be a surprise? Orcas have long been known to be higher up the food chain than great whites. Now, if only Megalodon was still around...

https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2017/nov/16/orca-whales-vs-great-white-sharks-in-a-battle-of-the-apex-predators-who-wins

I would still go with Orca's..Pod mentality and higher intelligence..

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Jaded1 said:

Maybe. We'll never know though.

Actually based on radio tracking we kind of do. When killer whales kill a shark in an area great whites split, like dive deep and swim for thousands of miles split. 

• Like 2

I recently watched a show about orcas and one researcher said that the two dominant animals in the pod he was studying brought a great white to the side of his research vessel to show off to the humans. It seems that orcas know a secret that humans have comparative recently discovered. You can flip a shark on its back and it becomes completely docile. One of the orca brought an inverted 15 foot Great White up to the surface next to the craft otherwise unharmed and held it in place while its partner savaged the shark. To bad there was no footage.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Actually based on radio tracking we kind of do. When killer whales kill a shark in an area great whites split, like dive deep and swim for thousands of miles split. 

https://www.ocearch.org/tracker/?list

It's pretty cool, and scary, to see where sharks are currently.

• Thanks 1

So, I have a question for those more knowledgeable than I:

What IS the apex pedator of the ocean?

Is it the "killer whale"?

Edited by pallidin

1 hour ago, pallidin said:

So, I have a question for those more knowledgeable than I:

What IS the apex pedator of the ocean?

Is it the "killer whale"?

Yes it is. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, oldrover said:

Yes it is. 

Dang, I'll skip the orca as my next pet.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The killer whale has unseated the great white shark as the ocean's most feared predator, study finds

For years, the great white shark has been believed to be the ocean’s most feared predator. But when five shark carcasses washed ashore on a beach in South Africa’s Western Cape province in 2017, livers chomped from their bodies, a new question loomed in marine researcher’s minds —  could the predator be prey?

https://nationalpost.com/news/the-killer-whale-has-unseated-the-great-white-shark-as-the-oceans-most-feared-predator-study-finds

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Everything in the ocean is and should be afraid of killer whales. They almost p*** me off with how ruthless they are lol

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

They almost p*** me off with how ruthless they are lol

Its about respecting them for what they are...same with Great Whites

• Like 2

Such complicated creatures. Beautiful, intelligent, caring, yet ruthless killers all at the same time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

Such complicated creatures. Beautiful, intelligent, caring, yet ruthless killers all at the same time. 

Sounds like your talking about human beings which are far more barbaric then any cetacean

2 hours ago, khol said:

Sounds like your talking about human beings which are far more barbaric then any cetacean

Yes very similar. Maybe that’s why they are so intriguing. 

• Thanks 1