Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

105 tonne "concreteberg" blocks 3 sewers

Eldorado

"A record-breaking "concreteberg" the size of a blue whale is blocking three Victorian sewers in central London.

Thames Water says the rock-hard mass under Hall Street in Islington is thought to weigh 105 tonnes and stretches across at least 100m (328ft)."

Video at Sky News UK:https://news.sky.com/story/concreteberg-the-size-of-a-blue-whale-blocking-three-london-sewers-11697323

At the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47976904

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm going to risk sounding thick here. I'm mystified.

Wouldn't you expect concrete to be down there in smallish hard individual lumpy chunks? And not one massive lump set in one chunk of 100 metres long? 

and if they must ... the non-clumping type I take it? :lol:

Edited by sags

It's not cat litter, it's actual concrete. Either it's sabotage or stupidity either way an expensive fix. 

Edited by darkmoonlady

8 hours ago, sags said:

I'm going to risk sounding thick here. I'm mystified.

Wouldn't you expect concrete to be down there in smallish hard individual lumpy chunks? And not one massive lump set in one chunk of 100 metres long? 

Not if it came from a truck. A concrete truck shows up for a job and is told the concrete isnt needed, an unscrupulous owner/operator sees an easy way to offload his truck before it hardens.

• Like 1

"This is not the first time damage has been caused by people pouring concrete into our sewers but it's certainly the worst we've seen.

https://news.sky.com/story/concreteberg-the-size-of-a-blue-whale-blocking-three-london-sewers-11697323

Shame they can not trace which builders where working round there. They are going to need cameras, jeeze its quite sickening to think people are so lazy and destructive, but it is certainly no surprise.

Living on the river and canals we have seen clean up operations numerous times because of stupid selfish idiotic brainless (think i am getting my point across) people throwing and disposing of things in our waters because they can not be bothered to get rid of their waste correctly.

What annoys me if caught, they only get a fine, where their should be made to not  only pay the full cost of the clean up, but made to help clean it up to, before having their businesses taken away from them.

They only care about one thing = no getting caught.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1