Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is this?

Cyaneyed

I was just looking around the ocean on Google Earth thinking about MH370 and came across this. It's just North of La Grande Marmite volcano, Ile Amsterdam (the little circle at the bottom). To me it looks like some kind of dock or marina, with a long walk to a dock. However its made of weird rough lines and these are all over the ocean, I can't tell if these are real lines or just some kind of artefact since the ocean in general wasn't photographed in high quality like the imagery of land - most obviously when you zoom in on Ile Amsterdam.

There is also a similar looking pattern South East.

But the nature of the pattern has me wondering. It's just above a continent sized shelf West of Australia, which makes me wonder if I'm looking at something that was extant above sea level before the younger dryas, or just image artefact?

000.jpg

13 minutes ago, Cyaneyed said:

But the nature of the pattern has me wondering. It's just above a continent sized shelf West of Australia, which makes me wonder if I'm looking at something that was extant above sea level before the younger dryas, or just image artefact?

Modern mineral or oil exploration.

14 minutes ago, Cyaneyed said:

the younger dryas,

That was just a cooling-dry period. Nothing big happened. 

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Modern mineral or oil exploration.

That was just a cooling-dry period. Nothing big happened. 

Interesting, do you have any links to support that? That would mean the vertical lines coarsing over the sea bed for hundreds of miles are man made and modern (and not image artefacts). I'd be interested to see what this actually looks like.

As for Younger Dryas, I was referring to sea levels but that's a debate off topic here.

13 minutes ago, Cyaneyed said:

As for Younger Dryas, I was referring to sea levels but that's a debate off topic here.

Well, ice was melting and glacial lakes were breaking and oceans were rising...

and since I did archaeological and geological fieldwork concerning it. There is no debate. Just the facts

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Cyaneyed said:

Interesting, do you have any links to support that? That would mean the vertical lines coarsing over the sea bed for hundreds of miles are man made and modern (and not image artefacts). I'd be interested to see what this actually looks like.

Taking a shot after seeing how BP worked in the Gulf. It could be a satellite "watermark" too. 

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

Well, ice was melting and glacial lakes were breaking and oceans were rising...

and since I did archaeological and geological fieldwork concerning it. There is no debate. Just the facts

Yes, oceans rising so large areas deluged...not sure where we disagree there!

To second reply (multi quote glitching for me) - watermark is possible. The precision of the shape is intriguing. Will do some digging.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cyaneyed said:

Yes, oceans rising so large areas deluged...not sure where we disagree there!

It was actually a creep on the Central East Coast of the U.S. Nothing really fast. 

Much of the remoter areas of the oceans are covered in these lines, and the explanation is simple.

The undersea floor depth is only known for certain where vessels with certified depth finders have traversed the areas, and they only give a fairly thin 'line' of data.  Where exploration is undertaken they will often run criss-cross patterns or staggered lines as they do their soundings.  That data is gathered by oceanography institutions and back to Google, and they overlay the new data points on their previously 'guessed' depths for the area, so you end up with an effect that looks like a rubber sheet spread over ridged lines and patterns.  The 'precision' of the patterns comes from good navigation from the skippers of the vessels gathering the data.

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Aye, this sort of thing comes up quite often - it's just down to more detailed resolution of the sea bed being available from ships' sonar.   If you play around on Google Earth you can find all manner of roads and city like grids, caused by this.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/atlantis.html

3 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Much of the remoter areas of the oceans are covered in these lines, and the explanation is simple.

The undersea floor depth is only known for certain where vessels with certified depth finders have traversed the areas, and they only give a fairly thin 'line' of data.  Where exploration is undertaken they will often run criss-cross patterns or staggered lines as they do their soundings.  That data is gathered by oceanography institutions and back to Google, and they overlay the new data points on their previously 'guessed' depths for the area, so you end up with an effect that looks like a rubber sheet spread over ridged lines and patterns.  The 'precision' of the patterns comes from good navigation from the skippers of the vessels gathering the data.

Fascinating, thanks for that info. So it was none of the things I pondered in the end!

@Stephen61 Haha nope, I don't believe in Atlantis as anything more than a thought experiment put forward by Plato, possibly inspired by ancestral memory of a deluge in human history.