Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Odd shadow

pokingjoker

The dark part hanging down looks like a coat on a hook.The bit over the calender,if its not made up,looks dark and ominous.If I'd seen it in person its something I wouldn't want in my home.If it is something paranormal it needs to be removed.

OK, finally got around to it...

Again, my thanks to the OP and the photographer who were very forthcoming with extra shots taken around that time, and answered all my questions in good faith.  This is a thread that should be a model for UM participation!

Here's a cropped, full-res, brightened version of the anomaly in the image (Gamma adjusted to about 1.3, straightened, no other processing)
anomaly_labels.jpg.7a5faffc313a34a8e5415ace9a31805d.jpg
A few initial notes:

With regard to the shadow, there are two things to bear in mind (actually more .. but two main ones!).

1. Shadows may have 'transparency', especially where there is more than one light source..  So yes, the shadow at the top of the calendar has that appearance.. BUT

2. Motion blur *also* renders things somewhat transparent!  Unlike out-of-focus blur, motion blur usually has a directional 'streaky' appearance - eg look at the shadow area just to the left of the top left arrow...  That suggests motion to me, although it's not a 100% call..

So, a motion-blurred dark object can look very, very similar to a shadow.  If a person was back there and mostly out of the light, wearing dark clothes? and waving their hair or an arm about, then it could look like what we see.

In regard to how high the 'thing' is, that apparent height will depend on the height of the camera, the upward angle, *and* how far back, relatively, the thing is..  In this case, the range of heights and angles and distances varies way too much to guess at how high stuff should be.  You'll note that in the two selfies (see next post for the second one) she had the camera in quite different positions and angles.  I tried to work out what range there was, in order to try to eliminate the 'clenched hand?' as possibly being part of the flower arrangement, but there really aren't enough clues.  It *seems* too high to be part of the flowers... but again, that's more a feeling than a measurement.. :D 

So, it remains an unknown, but see below for next image and a few additional notes: 

Edited by ChrLzs

Here's a crop from the second selfie - note no sign of the anomaly:

anomaly_second.thumb.jpg.500335ba9e870affb0551e84bb645c5d.jpg

..continued, see below:

Edited by ChrLzs

Other notes (they were kind enough to supply two other images to help):

- there were at least two other people in the house, one of whom did have darkish clothing (yes, my memory failed me!) and darkish hair, but tied in a bun.

- the flower arrangement looked to have been slightly re-arranged, but had nothing in it that would explain the 'clenched hand?' or sleeve? parts of the anomaly.

- the girl didn't think anyone else was in the room

- I was unable to positively identify a light source that might have thrown a shadow at that angle, but there was other lighting in the room, and it appeared to be daytime, so a bright window might have been out of shot. 

- (added) if you examine the 'shadow' on the calendar carefully, you'll see that there is a darker (but still slightly transparent) part at top right, and then another softer shadow to the lower left of it, and the angle of that shadow edge precisely matches the darker edge.  That suggests the top part is a real thing (perhaps motion blurred hair or an arm) and that the lower part is the actual shadow...  However... without knowing exactly what other light sources were there, it's not 100%....  This stuff is complicated..!

Beyond all that, I give up!  I'm genuinely unsure what it was, and it seems to be a genuine Unexplained Mystery, tadaa!  Thanks again, all.

Edited by ChrLzs
Added 4th note - left that one out accidentally.
  • Like 1

Nice catch on the hand, didn't see that back there. Seems pretty obvious at this point someone was back there goofing around, doing who knows what.

• Like 2

To me, it looks as if a torso is back towards the flowers and there is an extended, left arm with bent elbow reaching for the calendar. I can see the shoulders not sure about the head.. Oh hell. I didn't see that fist !! Call your DAD right now.

Edited by donktheclown
insufficient observation before responding

Hey sorry I've been busy, work, life, so a shout out to ChrLzs thank you. I can't argue against logic. Motion blur makes sense. But..... as stated there is an oddity here. Not saying it's any thing expect unexplained. But it could be bigfoot.....lol